Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think there something faster then Light?

Codelyy

There most be something faster then light and if there is not then it's going to take us years to get to other planets 

Do you think there something faster then light?

Probably, we cant really know for now, we arent evolved enough. I chose to believe one day we will travel to the stars, i dont know when, maybe in 10 years, or maybe in a hundred,...or in a thousand. The beauty of humanity is that we are curious, our curiosity keeps us going, new discoveries are the only thing that keep us together, uncovering the unknown, working together as a species...thats when nationality, race and all other things dissappear,...so yeah...something has to be,...we just havent discovered it yet.

Edited by Guest

There is nothing faster than light, nor can there ever be. This was proven in the theory of relativity. That said, physicists are currently working on a loophole to that rule. In layman's terms, it consists of bending space-time so that we can arrive at a place before light would, without technically moving faster than the speed of light, because we're not technically moving at all, we're just making a shorter distance between us and our destination. 

Probably, we cant really know for now, we arent evolved enough. I chose to believe one day we will travel to the stars, i dont know when, maybe in 10 years, or maybe in a hundred,...or in a thousand. The beauty of humanity is that we are curious, our curiosity keeps us going, new discoveries are the only thing that keep us together, uncovering the unknown, working together as a species...thats when nationality, race and all other things dissappear,...so yeah...something has to be,...we just havent discovered it yet.

Not to seem like I'm picking on you or anything, but that's very flawed. Humans have essentially stopped evolving, because there's no need for us to do so anymore. Animals evolve to adapt to their environment, but humans don't need to adapt to the environment, because we adapt the environment to fit our needs. An animal will gain or lose traits to make it easier to survive in its surroundings, a human will change its surrounding to fit its needs.

As for nationality, race, and "all other things" disappearing, the trick isn't making the perceived difference disappear, it's realizing that certain perceived difference such as nationality, race, and gender, have either a very small effect or no effect at all on a person's abilities. It's not about getting rid of the differences, it's about realizing that they're insignificant.

• Brohoof 3

There is nothing faster than light, nor can there ever be. This was proven in the theory of relativity. That said, physicists are currently working on a loophole to that rule. In layman's terms, it consists of bending space-time so that we can arrive at a place before light would, without technically moving faster than the speed of light, because we're not technically moving at all, we're just making a shorter distance between us and our destination. 

Not to seem like I'm picking on you or anything, but that's very flawed. Humans have essentially stopped evolving, because there's no need for us to do so anymore. Animals evolve to adapt to their environment, but humans don't need to adapt to the environment, because we adapt the environment to fit our needs. An animal will gain or lose traits to make it easier to survive in its surroundings, a human will change its surrounding to fit its needs.

As for nationality, race, and "all other things" disappearing, the trick isn't making the perceived difference disappear, it's realizing that certain perceived difference such as nationality, race, and gender, have either a very small effect or no effect at all on a person's abilities. It's not about getting rid of the differences, it's about realizing that they're insignificant.

I am not saying as in biological evolution, i am saying an evolution of our society, not the darwinian deffinition of evolution via natural selection. True nationality will never dissappear, but it can be diminished. Humans may change in the future, for better or for worse,...we cant know since we'll never see the change probably. I may sound like an idiot to you right now XD, bu oh well...nationality is something i studied deeply, thanks to my fascination with history, especially the 19th century,..practically the century of nationalism (germany, the balkans, italy,....) also...the rise of fascism and (the spinoff) nazism in the 20th century.

Edited by Guest

No. I dont think we can. Why? Because Einsteins Relativity theory proves, that for a particle (or spaceship) to move faster ( or as fast as) than light that particle would have to be accelerated with an infinite amount of energy. And thats not possible.
HOWEVER could it maybe be possible to "bend" the space-time contiuum and get to a place faster than light could. However are we not really traveling faster than light. We are bending space(and time) so that we have less space(and time) to pass through to get to our destination. Im not sure, if this is gonna be possible to achive with technical means though.

Im happy, if we get some people to mars :D
And that journey takes roughly 1 year.

EDIT: Yeah. What Nilkad_Naqadah said. Ninja :P i felt so smart for knowing this and you ruin my fun.
EDIT2: I just rethought it. Maybe we could, if we somehow turn ourselves into a state of singularity :P

Edited by Guest

I don't think there is anything that is faster than light. Maybe there is something somewhere that goes at about the same speed as light or close to it, but not faster. Just my opinion.

According to what we currently know about the laws of physics, the speed of light is a sort of "cosmic speed limit" which cannot be surpassed. However, if we ever figure out how to make wormholes, which essentially bend space and time in such a way that point A and point B are right next to each other, then we would be able to travel vast distances in a very short time. I doubt humanity will achieve this technology anytime soon, but in theory, it is possible.

Edited by Thrashy

Its a really interesting topic!

As explained, currently no but in the future it is hypothetically possible but currently there are only theories on this!

It is currently possible to have a relative speed speed faster then light (if your travelling over 1/2 the speed of light at an object also travelling voer 1/2 the speed of light then you would see them as going faster then the speed of light? or would you....)

We know that objects with mass (anything that interacts with the Higgs field) cannot exceed the velocity of an EMR wave (light), thus, even if there is something that exists that can travel faster than light, it cannot be used to make any matter travel at or above light speed. In cases of quantum actions, there are two possible causes for the speed of light seemingly being exceeded.

The first is that the message is relayed by a quantum particle with less mass than a photon (which, by the way, is massless) or is capable of traveling from point A to B without traversing the interspersing distance.

The second possibility is that, because we only observe but not manipulate the "entangled" photons, that entangling causes said photons does not form a connection, but simply causes them to behave in a corresponding manner to each other, whether that relationship be direct or inverse. If you gave two individuals identical timers and put them on two different planets with the instruction to lift their right arm when the timer reached zero, they would be able to preform the same action at the same time without any message being relayed. Now we know that time would act differently in this scenario (which is why satellites have to be programmed to translate perceived time to earth-surface time, but the example serves as an analogy. Entangling photons could (this is theory, not fact) simply lay out a set of directions which both photons proceed to follow, which would mean that nothing is actually exceeding the speed of light.

We also have to account for relativity. If one photon is traveling north at light-speed (c[N]), and another photon is traveling south at light speed (c), relative to c[N], c is traveling nearly twice the speed of light (Einstein's equation show that velocities are not additive, there is some loss). This is off topic, but it does raise an important question about how definite of a speed limit the speed of light is depending what it is measured relative to. Is "faster than light" possible? Not in an even foot race, but it can seemingly be exceeded (key word, seemingly). Can matter travel faster than light? Only if you have infinite energy (in other words, no). I want to leave you all with a fun thought: the next time a photon whizzes past you, if you use that photon as a reference point, you are the one traveling at light speed.

• Brohoof 1

quantum actions are 10,000 times faster than light.

Well, that's epic! :D

Maybe spacetime doesn't exist in quantum world, they ,like, teleport?

Well, we will probably find something even faster than this, we still know nothing about dark energy, except that this is a theory.

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

Of course theres super sonic, he can go the speed of light. But seriously I don't think there is anything faster then the speed of light except quantum actions as stated above.

I highly doubt the relativistic interpretation is a permanent conclusion. It's just another paradigmatic form of scientific thought, just like how newtonian mechanics have been usurped at certain interactional levels by quantum physics. It's not out of the realm of possibility for another relativistic mechanical system to arise in the near or distant future that disproves the speed of light being a limit.

Of course, Cherenkov radiation presents a pretty damn good argument for the limit. I am not a physicist so I could not begin to propose a solution to our understanding in that manner.

Aside from that, humans are indeed evolving. It is just that we no longer evolve due to environmental conditions but rather due to societal tendencies. For instance, humans are growing taller on average than they were before; of course, we can chalk that up to improved nutrition and medicine in that front, but we must keep in mind that at the very least the statistical significance of that cannot consume the entire discrepancy whole. It would not be far-fetched to say that our genes are moving towards taller and "more attractive" humans as social norms mold to fit and eventually determine the desired appearance of people and their offspring.

As for ethnicities disappearing, you are indeed correct in noting that the different phenotypes mean nothing for abilities, but that does not change the fact that phenotypes are merging.

As phenotypes merge and culture becomes less distinctly human and more distinctly geographical, some have argued that a "monoculture" will arise in a distant future where we eradicate our cultural differences by force, or let the course of social conglomeration do so naturally, and then "culture" will no longer exist as there will only be one form of it to define itself and no others.

That's a pretty scary thought, so I wouldn't dismiss ethnicities and their inevitably intertwined phenotypes as completely arbitrary in the modern landscape of the world.

tl;dr paradigmatic science is common and it can be shifted so don't worship relativity, humans are probably still evolving but not because of nature, and finally, phenotypes merging doesn't necessarily mean a good thing

Nothing with mass can move faster than light, or even at the speed of light. However, as pointed out by Frith is Magik, quantum particles may be able to, we do not know for sure, although it seems particles can be anywhere in the universe at any given time. 

I highly doubt the relativistic interpretation is a permanent conclusion. It's just another paradigmatic form of scientific thought, just like how newtonian mechanics have been usurped at certain interactional levels by quantum physics. It's not out of the realm of possibility for another relativistic mechanical system to arise in the near or distant future that disproves the speed of light being a limit.

Of course, Cherenkov radiation presents a pretty damn good argument for the limit. I am not a physicist so I could not begin to propose a solution to our understanding in that manner.

Aside from that, humans are indeed evolving. It is just that we no longer evolve due to environmental conditions but rather due to societal tendencies. For instance, humans are growing taller on average than they were before; of course, we can chalk that up to improved nutrition and medicine in that front, but we must keep in mind that at the very least the statistical significance of that cannot consume the entire discrepancy whole. It would not be far-fetched to say that our genes are moving towards taller and "more attractive" humans as social norms mold to fit and eventually determine the desired appearance of people and their offspring.

As for ethnicities disappearing, you are indeed correct in noting that the different phenotypes mean nothing for abilities, but that does not change the fact that phenotypes are merging.

As phenotypes merge and culture becomes less distinctly human and more distinctly geographical, some have argued that a "monoculture" will arise in a distant future where we eradicate our cultural differences by force, or let the course of social conglomeration do so naturally, and then "culture" will no longer exist as there will only be one form of it to define itself and no others.

That's a pretty scary thought, so I wouldn't dismiss ethnicities and their inevitably intertwined phenotypes as completely arbitrary in the modern landscape of the world.

tl;dr paradigmatic science is common and it can be shifted so don't worship relativity, humans are probably still evolving but not because of nature, and finally, phenotypes merging doesn't necessarily mean a good thing

Excellent points, and very eloquently stated. My annoying tendency to oversimplify and overgeneralize has struck again, lol.

Excellent points, and very eloquently stated. My annoying tendency to oversimplify and overgeneralize has struck again, lol.

Still glad you brought up the topics though. Also, simplification and generalization aren't bad. They're just rhetorical tools, useful at times, detrimental at others. 

C is a very complicated value. I still don't think we quite understand the mechanics. I don't think we will understand the mechanics until we can attain relativistic speeds at human-sized-structure scales

There is nothing in normal space of our universe that can exceed the speed of light by well, moving faster than the light does. But there can be loop-holes like warping the fabric of space-time, creating rips in space-time, changing into a higher plane of existence, manipulating the nature of matter, using "quantum connections" or something like all of this. xD

Besides this, the universe itself was expanded faster than light in it's earlier ages.

Edited by Space Warrior

The speed of light is the ultimate speed limit.  As an object gets closer to that speed, it increases in mass and requires more energy to accelerate.  Only photons have a low enough mass and high enough energy to reach that speed.

Of course there is!

sonic_rainboom___wallpaper_by_timon1771-

Oh, wait you mean in real life? Ummm...oh geez

mlfw2428-321639_189881951096834_10000225

Hehe, sorry I'm not really a man of science myself. I was taught in school that the answer to this question was no. I believe the answer is no, as that's what I've been taught and I far as I know it's correct. I suppose in some sort of weird alternative place like a wormhole/blackhole/ect, the answer could be yes. I would say that generally, No. Something can't go faster than the speed of light.