NASA's big announcement.

SongBrony

So NASA has some news that will "shake the Earth. It will never be the same again." The way it's worded makes me think we've found alien life outside our solar system or microbial life on Mars. It's interesting to think what they could have found that makes them say that Earth will never be the same again. Hopefully it's good news and not about our extinction. What do you think it could mean?

http://www.rememberthe13th.com Here's the link to the countdown if anyone's interested.

*Edit. I made this when I was half asleep and forgot that since the gov't shutdown NASA can't really say anything. Whether it's true or false is a different debate, but if it's real, what do you think it could be?

Edited by SongBrony

Um, the link just takes me back to this thread... please fix it, I want to know what this "big announcement" is now. If it's going to "shake the Earth", then it has to be big.

So they found alien form of life on Mars?

Great, it was really probable, and not "that" surprising. But quite enjoyable :P

Now lets find life somewhere else lol.

Edit: Oh wait, I misreaded. Well, lets wait for the announcement then :)

Edited by GhostPony750

Um, the link just takes me back to this thread... please fix it, I want to know what this "big announcement" is now. If it's going to "shake the Earth", then it has to be big.

I think the link he wanted to show was this one right here

http://www.rememberthe13th.com/

they haven't announced anything just yet but the fact that the facebook links lead to pages about mars piques my interest.

Now, before everybody gets up on the edge of their seats and hype goes through the roof, a little searching has given me second thoughts on the topic.

Due to the recent American Government shutdown, NASA's website and servers have been cut, resulting in an undefined time of being offline. This new website ( http://www.rememberthe13th.com/ ) is external, and in no way shown to be supported by NASA officials. Due to the shutdown, it is practically impossible for NASA to set up a function to refute the website(and I'd be surprised if they even knew about it right now).

The website has even pushed ahead it's claimed reveal from November 13th, to October 6th, further raising doubt about it's authenticity.

I'm not saying whether it should or shouldn't be believed. I just think that people should keep an eye on it, before raising too much awareness about it.

• Brohoof 1

Yeaaah, I'll admit I was a moron and kind of totally fell for it first but this totally fake. What really puts it out there is that if you check where the site is hosted and all that it leads to freaking Panama.

Yeah.

There better not be aliens on Mars, I own several thousand acres up there :( 

Lol actually not personally, but my micronation claims about a million acres (the entirety of the Hellas Planitia basin and surrounding highlands) on Mars, so if there's aliens up there we're looking at an interplanetary war! derpy_emoticon2.png

• Brohoof 1

I think they'll announce that we're not alone in the universe..or there was a civilization on Mars at one point...I think both are possible...it's either there are other civilizations out there, or we are alone...both are kind of scary ideas..(yes that is paraphrasing Arthur C. Clarke)

Maybe the found the broken pieces of the UK probe that smashed into the Mars xD

May have had one of the biggest navies in the world at one point but no looking good for the brits in space.

Edited by Greenfield

Yeah, no. I thought this sounded iffy from the first post, but other members have basically confirmed it's fake. My reasoning was this whole big reveal date for this supposed piece of information. Have you ever heard of such a thing for scientific information? What is this, a reality show? No. This is science. When there's information to be shared with the public, scientists share it. None of this playing games business.

• Brohoof 3

The grammar isn't even right, it sounds like someone with a loose grasp of English wrote the page. There's that, and the guy who made the page doesn't seem to be aware that because of the US government shutdown, all NASA activities are indefinitely postponed. I'd seriously doubt they'd announce something when there's nobody even at NASA.

Some pretty good arguments against this site's legitimacy: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/10/04/remember_the_13th_viral_marketing_silliness.html

Edited by Daring
  • Brohoof 1

Like I stated above in the first post, I was half asleep and forgot NASA was down from the govt shutdown. I know it's fake, but it caught my attention when I first saw it. :P

No other planet on our solar system cannot support life, because it does not have the ingredients for life(water, oxygen, minerals), and plus, Earth lies in the habitable zone. No other planet does in our solar system. Mars can't, because it has approximately half the radius of Earth. It is less dense than Earth, having about 15% of Earth's volume and 11% of the mass. It's surface area is only slightly less than the total area of Earth's dry land. Mars lost its magnetosphere 4 billion years ago, so the solar wind interacts directly with the Martian ionosphere, keeping the atmosphere thinner than it would otherwise be by stripping away atoms from the outer layer. Both Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Express have detected these ionized atmospheric particles trailing off into space behind Mars.Compared to Earth, the atmosphere of Mars is quite thin. Atmospheric pressure on the surface ranges from a low of 30 Pa (0.03 kPa) on Olympus Mons to over 1,155 Pa (1.155 kPa) in the Hellas Planitia, with a mean pressure at the surface level of 600 Pa (0.6 kPa). The mean surface pressure of Mars is equal to the pressure found 35 km[citation needed] above the Earth's surface. This is less than 1% of the Earth's surface pressure (101.3 kPa). The scale height of the atmosphere is about 10.8 km, which is higher than Earth's (6 km) due to the lower gravity. Mars' surface gravity is only about 38% of the gravity on Earth, thus meaning that Mars will never be able to sustain it's atmosphere so life AS WE KNOW IT could never exist again.

No other planet on our solar system cannot support life, because it does not have the ingredients for life(water, oxygen, minerals), and plus, Earth lies in the habitable zone. No other planet does in our solar system. Mars can't, because it has approximately half the radius of Earth. It is less dense than Earth, having about 15% of Earth's volume and 11% of the mass. It's surface area is only slightly less than the total area of Earth's dry land. Mars lost its magnetosphere 4 billion years ago, so the solar wind interacts directly with the Martian ionosphere, keeping the atmosphere thinner than it would otherwise be by stripping away atoms from the outer layer. Both Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Express have detected these ionized atmospheric particles trailing off into space behind Mars.Compared to Earth, the atmosphere of Mars is quite thin. Atmospheric pressure on the surface ranges from a low of 30 Pa (0.03 kPa) on Olympus Mons to over 1,155 Pa (1.155 kPa) in the Hellas Planitia, with a mean pressure at the surface level of 600 Pa (0.6 kPa). The mean surface pressure of Mars is equal to the pressure found 35 km[citation needed] above the Earth's surface. This is less than 1% of the Earth's surface pressure (101.3 kPa). The scale height of the atmosphere is about 10.8 km, which is higher than Earth's (6 km) due to the lower gravity. Mars' surface gravity is only about 38% of the gravity on Earth, thus meaning that Mars will never be able to sustain it's atmosphere so life AS WE KNOW IT could never exist again.

I mean life outside of our solar system. I know that Mars cants support life without a bio done of some sort that allows us to live there with oxygen and plants. However, there are planets outside our solar system which could sustain life. Whether it not they do is a mystery right now. But microbial life such as forms of bacteria could survive ok the polar caps or under the surface of mars. It wouldn't be intelligent, but it's still life.

I really want to know more about a planet that supports life other than Earth. I guess that is really an interesting thing to wonder about.

Edited by Scootalove

OH...MY...GOD!  THEY MADE AN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!

PA-A-A-A-A-A-ANIC!!!

185355%20-%20animated%20apple_bloom%20pa

I highly doubt it will change everything.  NASA is probably trying to get us hyped over something minor.

If aliens are real...

Then they're probably idiots just like us.

That, or they're f***ing geniuses and they check out 4chan and they're like 'The hell got into this planets brains.'.

yep this is fake

• Brohoof 1

Guys, this is so fake.

There's no way that NASA would put up anything like this now when they're down.

Just read this.

http://androidmalwaredump.blogspot.se/2013/10/remember-13th-scam.html

It's a scam and they're just collecting email addresses

Isn't it a little bit weird that they did this now when the government shut down? It's so you can't go on nasa's site and see if it's legit.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who thinks the statement "the world will never be the same again" is a pretty stupid statement. Seriously, everything anyone or anything does changes the world forever. If I make a paper airplane, the world is changed forever because it has had one more paper airplane. It's an empty statement, really. Also yeah, this is fake.