Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First episode for a film geek

Hellowutsup5

Ok, my brother, after ages of nothing but refusal and claiming he can't cause it cause a blow to his masculinity, has finally agreed to watch an episode of my choosing. He is a film guy, currently going to school for film, he likes animated cartoons such as Teen Titans, Avatar: TLAB, anime, etc.

Anywho, I was wondering what might be the best story oriented episode to show him, I might be able to get away with a two parter (since they tend to have more story to them)

EDIT: maybe not story oriented, but one that can be appreciated by a guy going into film.

Edited by Hellowutsup5

So, you want an episode that is solely based on a story that is similar to a film?

Okay, I would highly recommend A Canterlot Wedding since it reminds me of some Disney movies that I remember. You could show him that, if it does work then it may help him enjoy the episode.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, he would like that one, and I had him listen to This Day Aria with out telling him where it was from. He guessed it was from MLP and agreed it was a Disney quality song. My only fear in showing him that one is the first half will put him off until the end, and I don't want him to leave early.

• Brohoof 1

well, the pilot episode is responsible for converting lots of haters into bronies.

and other then that, i guess you just have to force your brother to watch the entirety of a canterlot wedding :P

Film geeks (at least the ones I hang around) tend to prioritize things like creative visuals, editing patterns, etc. so I'd recommend Lesson Zero as a starting point. Lots of inventive devices are used throughout, like the bits where sun mimics the movements of a clock, among others. He may find it interesting.

• Brohoof 1

Film major? That is actually a new one for me.

For people that really like to dissect a show, I have them watch The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy for the economical and how people are swayed by varying methods of production vs presentation.

Film major... Maybe Putting your hoof down. Also gives a macho character to show the comidic value of our show in a more masculine light. Also, it show great character developement and amazing animations: the panning camera in fluttershy's cottage after she ties herself up and Iron Will scuttling across stage.

Edited by Gale Force
  • Brohoof 1

Alright I lied, thought he meant when he got back from work, but he meant from his trip, sometime this next Saturday. So unfortunately it will have to wait till then D:

How old is he? What college or university he is in?

I am also learning to be an animation director, making animated movies or cartoons or even video games. (I am still a high schooler)

I would like to learn some of his experiences through your tounge.

Edited by The Prime Reaper

(edited)

How old is he? What college or university he is in?

I am also learning to be an animation director, making animated movies or cartoons or even video games. (I am still a high schooler)

I would like to learn some of his experiences through your tounge.

He is 23, trying to get into byu Utah. Pretty sure he hasn't done any animation, but two things he has done is youtube series "Story of my Life" it's hard to find on youtube cause it's really new, and another one filmed, directed, narrated by him (school project) is here. youtube.com/watch?v=pln3XW6X4Bw

I don't want to make this an advertisement, so contact him on Facebook "codi ruttenbur"

Edited by Hellowutsup5

He is 23, trying to get into byu Utah. Pretty sure he hasn't done any animation, but two things he has done is youtube series "Story of my Life" it's hard to find on youtube cause it's really new, and another one filmed, directed, narrated by him (school project) is here. youtube.com/watch?v=pln3XW6X4Bw

I don't want to make this an advertisement, so contact him on Facebook "codi ruttenbur"

He is not in college yet!

He is still in community college?

My best favor is to see him succeed with his endeanvor, give my regard to him.

One of the episodes where Twilight has an OCD meltdown ("It's About Time", "Lesson Zero")  would probably be a good choice since they highlight the offbeat humor of the show and really let you see that this isn't just a girly froo-froo show.

• Brohoof 1

He is not in college yet!

He is still in community college?

My best favor is to see him succeed with his endeanvor, give my regard to him.

No he is/has been, he's had to move a lot because of family things, he's been to GCU and phx college. Had an associates out of high school.

• 2 weeks later...

YES! success! I went with season 1 episode 1&2, the begining is an excellent place to start, it shows each character and who they are equally. Yes he has said that he likes it, hints of a desire to watch more, shy smile when asked by my anti-brony sister if he liked it, she then started calling him a traitor xD anyways, his current favorite pony is fluttershy (prob cause of her sheer adorableness in the first half). Thanks all it was fun.

im trying not to push him with more pony stuff, dont want to overwhelm. Just gonna let it sink in.