Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Andy Price Posts About Twilicorn (and a bit of other fandom drama)

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

So after the great post by Bobby Curnow at IDW clearing up worries about Twilight's personality radically changing in the show, I felt relieved that an editor for the comics, who was skeptical about the Princess Twilight thing at first, say something very positive about the situation. I have had nothing but positive things to say but there has been tons of negativity and drama within the fandom itself. Obviously right? Yep, sadly so. Many still hate it to this day and continue to express their extreme hatred. Kinda gets a bit depressing. However, Andy Price over at IDW has recently made this post on his Deviantart about Twilicorn and some other fandom drama about the comics and let me just say, he sums it all up rather beautifully (the bolder parts are about Twilicorn specifically, the rest isn't). Read this carefully:

"Well, here's the scoop-

Get used to it, because she's here to stay. And not just in the show. (Kyoshi note: YES, That is what I want to hear. Or see.)

We're introducing the updated version of season three's Twilight Sparkle into the comics as well.

We're asked about 5th person at our tables: "what do you think?" "Why did they do that?" "Are you gonna.." etc.

Since we work hand in hand with Hasbro, we never had any intention of NOT updating Twilight for the books as well.

And quite frankly... we are all about it!

Neither Katie Cook nor myself understand the hatred going on for having Twilight become a princess. Katie has made an outstanding point- Twilight may be the only popular character to have EARNED her crown... she worked for it, suffered for it, and it was awarded. She didn't marry into it, wasn't born into it (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine, etc etc). That gives little girls a character that WORKED FOR WHAT SHE EARNED. One helluva example I think. And for Katie, with a little girl and another on the way... that's a great thing to a parent.

Okay, so you aren't a parent or a little girl... still, WHY GRIPE? You've not even SEEN what's yet to come! It's something new and exciting! What, did Celestia really deposit this pony she had governed for years amongst a group of her equals to do nothing more than run an abandoned library??? (Kyoshi note: Boom.)

On another note: a LOT of people have come out on twitter/deviant/facebook to apologize for the actions of some of the fan base that gave myself, Katie, and of all people my wife hell about issue 11. Either they didn't like how we portrayed Shining Armor or Cadance, or they didn't like the 80's setting, or they didn't like the parody of the Oingo Boingo lyrics. That's fine, nobody has to like everything we do.... really, it's okay to not like everything, we aren't offended by that. But sending personal emails and messages of anger cross the line of ANY fandom.

Beyond that, the truly insulting thing was people messaging to declare that the book was poor because it contradicted popular or personal fan fictions. (yes it happened).

Here's a note on my standing of fan fiction: I don't care. No, really. I don't. I don't read fan fiction. We do not want (and cannot have) it's influence on our books.

Fan fiction is GREAT, awesome, outstanding... it's in EVERY fandom! BE CREATIVE! Write everything!!! But don't presume that because a fan theory is popular that it is in stone and overrides everything else. Let's also remember something EXTREMELY important- these are FICTIONAL cartoon marshmallow-peep pastel ponies that talk and bake cakes. Let's all calm down and take a breath. It's great that the fandom is so passionate, but let's draw the line at messaging comic (and show) creators with insults... finger pointing... demands... and threats. Be a grown up... it's a CARTOON.

To those that sent apologies and praises, thank you very much! The fandom is very much held to us, and we've met some outstanding people (and particularly kids!). We'll continue to get absurd messages and even insults... part of the territory. Ain't stopping us. We're all going to continue to do our best to provide fun/adventure/lessons/silliness for all ages, with a dose of absurdity and (at least on my part) meaningless references and background goodies

Now let's all have FUN shall we?

Many great things have been said here, points that I have brought up many times in rants of my own but my voice isn't very loud. Plus he puts it better than me. It is just so fantastic to see someone who obviously knows what is up in the scripts of the show and whatnot saying what needs to be said. So...I know that it won't for many of the dedicated haters of Twilicorn, but I only hope that the negativity can be put to rest eventually. Reading that post puts a smile on my face, just like Bobby Curnow did with his post. I guess I am just becoming sensitive to the negativity, thanks to this hiatus and depression. Also, I do think that you don't even need to be a 'grown up' to at least be civil, which is interesting. Some people in the fandom don't really act civil, as we have clearly seen.

This is just more positive news, at least for me and I am sure it is for others. Knowing fully now that the writers are not backing out of and apparently are bringing in some great things for the future, I mean, what is there to be negative about? And again, this is coming from me, I am very pessimistic about tons of stuff, but this show, nope, I cannot be. I love it too much and all of this new stuff is only making me love it more. :) I also will admit that even I have kinda fueled drama over this mainly because I have been very defensive and whatnot but that was my depression taking me over and making me stupid. While I am 100% in support of this change and absolutely love it, there isn't much of a reason to go into 'uber defense mode' because that doesn't exactly mean much. Andy's words actually do mean something here.

Brohoof to all! I only do that if I am in a fantastic mood when posting a thread, which I rarely post threads and my mood usually isn't fantastic, but this post sure brought my day up to fantastic levels. These IDW people really know how to words things.

Also, he brings up some great points about fan fictions as well but that isn't the main focus here.

I know, I have posted about this a lot, but hey, I am obsessed. :P Plus, this post is pretty huge in my opinion in terms of the information given.

• Brohoof 7

Finally, someone who is okay with Twilight becoming a princess! I'm not really going into defensive mode either but, Twilight has earned her ascension because she has worked very hard in her long journey into what she wasn't into learning about in the first place. Now that Twilight has learned the meaning of friendship, and has grown as a character in the three seasons I feel that all of the hatred and drama circled around her is almost not needed.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnn. This fandom seem to have brought Andy Price to his true limit, To be honest, this fandom is becoming worst than the Sonic fandom

In many ways, yes, it is, and that is sad really. I honestly hope it can improve and be like what it was, but that might prove impossible for some. I mean, a beloved character achieves something great (by working for it as Andy said) and people see THIS as a horrendous thing and THIS is what will make those people give up entirely on the show. Me, I shake my head at these people. You can have whatever viewpoint you want, that is fine but, just, meh, it doesn't add up for me.

I do believe though that things can improve and they just might when season 4 comes around, which is very soon. :)

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

There are and will always be people out there that act beyond simple and justified scepticism or disapproval. That's a part of human diversity. But it's sad when it spreads to extreme extents. We can't change anything about what happened. We can just sit here and wait. I for one will let them surprise me. No matter what will be happeneing in the end. When I don't like it, I don't like it. Period. But I think I'll like it. Some things will cause me to say "What the hell...", but whatever. Of course, liking everything would be... nearly impossible, sure.

But only because some things in the show, some things in other fictional works, don't turn out as we expect them, doesn't mean we have to be angered all the time. You see, I see fiction as something I witness as well as I do things in "real life". They are kind of real because they can have the same effect as physical things.

What can I change about things that already happened in real life? Right. Nothing. Just my attitude towards them. So why should I rage, hate and cry all the time when I can deal with it. I don't say that's easy. Especially not when something changes that's important to me. But to be butthurt and to let everyone know it can also damage the whole thing itself and the whole thing for others.

I don't say that I never deny change in this most negative way, but I try to don't do that in relation to the show. Because I just don't want to hate on the show and I don't want things to happen in the show like I'd probably like to see them happen. Hell no. Then it'd be at least PG-13 and not what it is. I'm glad that we can't dictate the writers to do what we want to see.

So let's just see what will happen. I for one can't await November 23rd, when the worst fears of some people might start to dissolve into thin air.

Edited by Tender Voice

Well, it's rather nice to see even more positivity about Alicorn Twilight. And yeah, she did earn the right to be a princess unlike a majority of other princesses. I still don't understand why some would think that Twilicorn wouldn't appear in the new comics...she would, eventually. Here's to hopefully more positivity.. 

bashful_twilicorn_by_rudahn-d6f5tc2.png

And she still looks adorable with those wings...not going to stop saying that either. :P

• Brohoof 2

I love the whole bit about the people who get mad because their fan fiction is contradicted. Seriously, what kind of twisted thought process would someone go through to think that writing angry letters about this is okay or would even accomplish anything.

• Brohoof 1

Until I know what the writers are going to do with Alicorn Twilight, I am not going to get riled up over something as trivial as a change in a character in a cartoon. It doesn't make sense to get angry over something that hasn't even reached it's full conclusion. Now if the writers royally screwed up in portraying Twilight, then sure i'd get annoyed, but not enough to write a load of ineffectual hate mail; instead, I'd just try to move on and see if it even was all that bad.

It's too bad so many people these days are so resistant to change and will stop at nothing to get the change reversed, even going as far as insulting other people in their fandom/community or the people behind whatever caused the change to happen. It's disappointing, really, and nowhere near what this fandom should be about.

Calling Twilicorn supporters "Hasdrones" or threatening violence against the show's writers or Hasbro's corporate management is probably the least effective way of trying to get your point across. You don't even know how Hasbro is going to handle Twilicorn in season 4. IDW and Hasbro, however, do. Insulting others because they disagree with you isn't even what this fandom is supposed to be about.

Repitition gets...well repetitive, but I always feel the need to repeat this as people seem to not think of it, ignore it, or forget it entirely the second anything negative occurs.

All fandoms, by this I mean all, every one in the entirety of what humanity can have fandoms in whether it be cartoons, movies, comics, or sports, all have a large vociferous negative minority. That means there's a lot of people who loudly express a negative opinion in an unconstructive, rude, or obnoxious manner. However they are a small part of the overall whole. It seems people love to forget any good that has ever been done the second something bad happens. Remember the crazy amount of support that happened in retaliation to the attacks leveled because of Equestria Girls? How about the support that came after the attacks leveled at staff for alicorn Twilight? Every time we see this happen the voices of reason step out of the dark and speak up.

Why does everyone forget the amazing auctions for charities, the support given to the VA's and others from Unicon, the valiant inspiring effort to save a little girl, the amazing art and creativity, and the overall support that this fandom has to offer? That's not even close to all the positives. The second something negative occurs is this all negated? Is all positivity truly gone because of a large minority of dissidents?

To all who are claiming that this fandom is somehow becoming worse...no, no its not. Its simply growing and like a snowball rolling down a hill its inevitably collect some dirt.

So after the great post by Bobby Curnow at IDW clearing up worries about Twilight's personality radically changing in the show, I felt relieved that an editor for the comics, who was skeptical about the Princess Twilight thing at first, say something very positive about the situation. I have had nothing but positive things to say but there has been tons of negativity and drama within the fandom itself. Obviously right? Yep, sadly so. Many still hate it to this day and continue to express their extreme hatred. Kinda gets a bit depressing. However, Andy Price over at IDW has recently made this post on his Deviantart about Twilicorn and some other fandom drama about the comics and let me just say, he sums it all up rather beautifully (the bolder parts are about Twilicorn specifically, the rest isn't). Read this carefully:

"Well, here's the scoop-

Get used to it, because she's here to stay. And not just in the show. (Kyoshi note: YES, That is what I want to hear. Or see.)

We're introducing the updated version of season three's Twilight Sparkle into the comics as well.

We're asked about 5th person at our tables: "what do you think?" "Why did they do that?" "Are you gonna.." etc.

Since we work hand in hand with Hasbro, we never had any intention of NOT updating Twilight for the books as well.

And quite frankly... we are all about it!

Neither Katie Cook nor myself understand the hatred going on for having Twilight become a princess. Katie has made an outstanding point- Twilight may be the only popular character to have EARNED her crown... she worked for it, suffered for it, and it was awarded. She didn't marry into it, wasn't born into it (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine, etc etc). That gives little girls a character that WORKED FOR WHAT SHE EARNED. One helluva example I think. And for Katie, with a little girl and another on the way... that's a great thing to a parent.

Why can't the writers just admit they messed up? If Magical Mystery Cure was well written (which it wasn't), I would've been convinced that Twilight was destined to earn her title of princess. But I wasn't convinced. Why? Because the episode was rushed and did not flow smoothly at all. The result was a mess of swapped cutie marks which somehow determine destiny despite being determined by destiny themselves, would-be-good songs that unfortunately were cut short thanks to the complete disorganization of the episode, and a blatantly shoehorned princess coronation. Very little effort was put into connecting the dots, leaving the viewers confused as to what's going on, with the word "destiny" being used over and over as a lame excuse for the mess. The moments where we're supposed to be convinced that Twilight was proving herself a responsible leader were executed so poorly that they served only to tell us otherwise. For example, There's one instance in the episode where Twilight gets a mail delivery (it's during the flashback). Shortly after receiving the package, she immediately slams the door in the stallion's face! I'm sure he probably said to himself something along the lines of "A simple thank you would suffice." Also during that flashback we see how Twilight was ultimately responsible for messing up her friends' cutie marks (and apparently their destinies). But by the end of the episode, she's crowned a princess for "fulfilling her destiny" (great reason to elect a leader, BTW) despite doing nothing more that plagiarizing a spell and fixing a mess she created. The episode completely throws Twilight way out of character to the point of making her seem spoiled rotten (Yay! I'm a princess now! I can take care of Equestria all on my own! I love being pampered because I plagiarized one of Starswirl's spells! Wee! Look at me fly! Everything's going to be fine!). This is the exact opposite of the antisocial unicorn that drew me into the show to begin with.

Long story short, Magical Mystery Cure was a failure and the writers need to come to terms with their imperfections and stop pretending that we're just ignorant.

Okay, so you aren't a parent or a little girl... still, WHY GRIPE? You've not even SEEN what's yet to come! It's something new and exciting! What, did Celestia really deposit this pony she had governed for years amongst a group of her equals to do nothing more than run an abandoned library???

Wait a second. Aren't these the same people that said "She's not going to change at all. She's still going to stay in Ponyville with her friends."? Which one is it? Either way, it's a stupid decision. Either she leaves her friends and completely throws off the balance and story of the show, or she stays in the library with her friends, thus making her ascension pointless. There's no right answer!

Also, I'm sick and tired of being generalized as a whining, griping, and pointlessly complaining crybaby who doesn't like any form of change! If you need an example of a true change-hating crybaby, look up "Mariotehplumber" (beware, he's a big potty mouth). This idiot became infamous across the internet due to his close-mindedness. Basically, he hates on everything about any game that wasn't exactly identical to the original 1991 Sonic game. He even complained about such ridiculous things as minor graphical change (such as the main character's shade of blue, and even his eye color) that had no real effect on the game. All the while claiming to be "one of the best people at that game in the world". Anyone who disagreed with his opinions was quickly met with death threats.

Anti-Twilicorn (and Equestria Girls) bronies like me aren't arrogant complainers. We're genuinely concerned for the show and don't want to see it die.

Edited by Dolphanatic
  • Brohoof 5

Why can't the writers just admit they messed up? If Magical Mystery Cure was well written (which it wasn't), I would've been convinced that Twilight was destined to earn her title of princess. But I wasn't convinced. Why? Because the episode was rushed and did not flow smoothly at all. The result was a mess of swapped cutie marks which somehow determine destiny despite being determined by destiny themselves, would-be-good songs that unfortunately were cut short thanks to the complete disorganization of the episode, and a blatantly shoehorned princess coronation. Very little effort was put into connecting the dots, leaving the viewers confused as to what's going on, with the word "destiny" being used over and over as a lame excuse for the mess. The moments where we're supposed to be convinced that Twilight was proving herself a responsible leader were executed so poorly that they served only to tell us otherwise. For example, There's one instance in the episode where Twilight gets a mail delivery (it's during the flashback). Shortly after receiving the package, she immediately slams the door in the stallion's face! I'm sure he probably said to himself something along the lines of "A simple thank you would suffice." Also during that flashback we see how Twilight was ultimately responsible for messing up her friends' cutie marks (and apparently their destinies). But by the end of the episode, she's crowned a princess for "fulfilling her destiny" (great reason to elect a leader, BTW) despite doing nothing more that plagiarizing a spell and fixing a mess she created. The episode completely throws Twilight way out of character to the point of making her seem spoiled rotten (Yay! I'm a princess now! I can take care of Equestria all on my own! I love being pampered because I plagiarized one of Starswirl's spells! Wee! Look at me fly! Everything's going to be fine!). This is the exact opposite of the antisocial unicorn that drew me into the show to begin with.

Long story short, Magical Mystery Cure was a failure and the writers need to come to terms with their imperfections and stop pretending that we're just ignorant.

Wait a second. Aren't these the same people that said "She's not going to change at all. She's still going to stay in Ponyville with her friends."? Which one is it? Either way, it's a stupid decision. Either she leaves her friends and completely throws off the balance and story of the show, or she stays in the library with her friends, thus making her ascension pointless. There's no right answer!

Also, I'm sick and tired of being generalized as a whining, griping, and pointlessly complaining crybaby who doesn't like any form of change! If you need an example of a true change-hating crybaby, look up "Mariotehplumber" (beware, he's a big potty mouth). This idiot became infamous across the internet due to his close-mindedness. Basically, he hatet on everything about any game that wasn't exactly identical to the original 1991 Sonic game. He even complained about such ridiculous things as minor graphical change (such as the main character's shade of blue, and even his eye color) that had no real effect on the game. All the while claiming to be "one of the best people at that game in the world". Anyone who disagreed with his opinions was quickly met with death threats.

Anti-Twilicorn (and Equestria Girls) bronies like me aren't arrogant complainers. We're genuinely concerned for the show and don't want to see it die.

"She isn't the same anti-social unicorn that got me into the show to begin with."

You can see where people like me constantly get the notion that people like you hate change.

Also, kindly put 'in my opinion' somewhere in your post. Just because the episode was rushed (I will admit that) does not mean it was bad. Just because you don't like her being a princess doesn't mean the writers messed up. MMC left tons of questions probably due to time constraints and i can guarantee that those will be answered in season 4, where time isn't such an issue.I have some advice, give it a chance instead of making this huge post about how much you hate it and about how stupid the writers are and whatnot. Of course, do what you want, that is just advice from me.

• Brohoof 1

"She isn't the same anti-social unicorn that got me into the show to begin with."

You can see where people like me constantly get the notion that people like you hate change.

If what I'm afraid might happen comes true, then that would be a change that I would be against. That's not to say that I dislike every change. There are plenty of changes to this show that haven't bothered me, such as the changes that were made to the original concept art of the cast. I prefer pegasus Fluttershy over earth pony Posy, Rainbow Dash over Firefly, earth pony Pinkie Pie over pegasus Surprise, Rarity over Sparkler, and Twilight Sparkle's newer color scheme over her original design. Although I do like how they base their parents' colors on those of their previous incarnations (Twilight' mother resembles both g4 Twilight Sparkle and g1 Twilight and Rainbow Dash's mother is rumored to resemble g1 Firefly). Not all changes are bad, but that doesn't mean every change is necessarily a good thing, either.

Also, kindly put 'in my opinion' somewhere in your post. Just because the episode was rushed (I will admit that) does not mean it was bad. Just because you don't like her being a princess doesn't mean the writers messed up. MMC left tons of questions probably due to time constraints and i can guarantee that those will be answered in season 4, where time isn't such an issue.I have some advice, give it a chance instead of making this huge post about how much you hate it and about how stupid the writers are and whatnot. Of course, do what you want, that is just advice from me.

The episode had many flaws, and a good portion of these were due to the fact that Hasbro wanted Twilight to be a princess despite Season 3 already being packed into 13 episodes and most of them already planned. Twilight becoming an alicorn princess is way to much of a game-changer to fit into a standalone 22 minute episode, let alone being shoehorned into the last of an originally irrelevant episode.

Edited by Dolphanatic
  • Brohoof 2