Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the moral of "Feeling Pinkie Keen" good for Christians?

BlueEyedPegasus

The reason I ask this is because just today, I've been thinking about how it affects my status as a Christian. Straight from the episode, I quote:

"...there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them, and sometimes, it takes a friend to show you the way."

Now I know I've written my own defense on the episode:

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/193967/my-own-defense-of-feeling-pinkie-keen

So has another:

http://comments.deviantart.com/4/1603670/1868779620

But now I must know: is this a good Christian message or is it an anti-Christian message? Why?

Furthermore...

1. Does it contradict Matthew 19:26? Why or why not?

2. Does God really want us to be open-minded? Why or why not?

3. Should we Christians limit our views on all the wonderful things in this world by connecting them with God? Why or why not?

4. What wonderful things in this world can't even we Christians explain?

5. Contributing to question 3, suppose I was married and my wife had a baby and I was like "God has blessed us!" and yet we can't explain why women are pregnant, even if God had a reason for women to be pregnant. Also, in certain cases, we might say "God has blessed us!" but in other cases, we can't explain certain wonderful things, even if there's the possibility that God has blessed us still. Would we Christians be hypocrites in cases like these?

I really need answers for all of the questions I've asked above!

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus

Feeling Pinkie Keen doesn't exactly have a good moral, but if you can't explain something it doesn't exactly make it true at all if you can't explain it. It's the way we look at it, in more ways than one.

Edited by ~Harmonic Scoots~
  • Brohoof 2

There are many things we really can't explain, as well as others of different religion. Feeling Pinkie Keen wasn't the best, or the worse episode. You're right, we can't be certain of wonderful things, but it depends on how we look at it.

Edited by weirdokitterz
  • Brohoof 2

Isn't it stated from Word of God (no pun intended) that the moral was broken in that episode? Something about them wording it poorly and not having time to redo the script so they didn't get the original intention out? Can't remember where I heard it, might be from a old Equestria Daily article or something.

Also not to be rude, but there is a pretty widely known scientific reason why women get pregnant

Edited by Nightmare Lyre

There are many things we really can't explain, as well as others of different religion. Feeling Pinkie Keen wasn't the best, or the worse episode. You're right, we can't be certain of wonderful things, but it depends on how we look at it.

How true that is. Now that I think about it, this moral really does apply to both religious AND non-religious people. I'll be honest, I just took this up with my mom today, and I do feel a little better about it. I'll be sure to update my defense on this episode. Thank you. :)

• Brohoof 2

Taken from my review of "Feeling Pinkie Keen":

I for one actually very much enjoyed this episode's message, and thought it was both thought-provoking and rare to see in a children's show these days.  I did not feel that it was being preachy; yes, was Pinkie's Pinkie-sense a real thing in their world?  Yes.  Do I believe that the Christian beliefs that I hold as true are true?  Yes.  However, I don't think that the message of this episode was that religious beliefs should simply be accepted.  Rather, the message was that not everything can be explained by science (the opposite message, that everything can be explained by science, is oftentimes unfortunately a message that one frequently sees in childrens shows these days), that for some beliefs, the best you can truly do in the end is have faith in them.  That's not to say that history can't support certain religious faiths, in particular, the factuality of many of the historical events related in the Bible, but in the end, the base of every religious belief is faith, and the same can be said for Twilight's belief in the end in Pinkie's Pinkie-sense.  Despite the fact that she can't explain it, she simply has to have faith in it that it is real, since, well, it is (which, again, as I said, is somewhat different from religious faith, because no one can ever definitively, 100% confirm the factuality of his/her religious beliefs, no matter how strong his/her faith is in their religious beliefs), and this teaches her that some things cannot be explained, but simply can only be supported by faith, which I for one think is a valuable lesson for children. smile.png

• Brohoof 10

the base of every religious belief is faith, and the same can be said for Twilight's belief in the end in Pinkie's Pinkie-sense.

You do realize that the base of all science is also faith right? Not all scientist will admit that, but it's faith in human knowledge and discovery overcoming the dangers of nature, which is just as legit as religion.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Taken from my review of "Feeling Pinkie Keen":

I for one actually very much enjoyed this episode's message, and thought it was both thought-provoking and rare to see in a children's show these days.  I did not feel that it was being preachy; yes, was Pinkie's Pinkie-sense a real thing in their world?  Yes.  Do I believe that the Christian beliefs that I hold as true are true?  Yes.  However, I don't think that the message of this episode was that religious beliefs should simply be accepted.  Rather, the message was that not everything can be explained by science (the opposite message, that everything can be explained by science, is oftentimes unfortunately a message that one frequently sees in childrens shows these days), that for some beliefs, the best you can truly do in the end is have faith in them.  That's not to say that history can't support certain religious faiths, in particular, the factuality of many of the historical events related in the Bible, but in the end, the base of every religious belief is faith, and the same can be said for Twilight's belief in the end in Pinkie's Pinkie-sense.  Despite the fact that she can't explain it, she simply has to have faith in it that it is real, since, well, it is (which, again, as I said, is somewhat different from religious faith, because no one can ever definitively, 100% confirm the factuality of his/her religious beliefs, no matter how strong his/her faith is in their religious beliefs), and this teaches her that some things cannot be explained, but simply can only be supported by faith, which I for one think is a valuable lesson for children. img-1953515-1-smile.png

I'm glad you think very positively about this episode's message. I thank you. smile.png

Plus, in case you're interested, I've updated my defense on the episode:

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/193967/my-own-defense-of-feeling-pinkie-keen-updated

Check it out! wink.png

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus
  • Brohoof 1

It has been stated multiple times that the moral was not supposed to have an effect on the religious community, yet I see posts like this everywhere.

I can't answer those questions because I myself am an atheist (not an agnostic, as many people seem to think; there is a big difference), so anything that has to do with your particular religious text I don't know because I got tired of reading it after about fifteen pages.

I can say that I don't think you should for question three, though. There are a lot of things that are of this world that I think we should really appreciate rather than say "my deity made that". I dunno what it's like for you guys but I just think mysteries are all that much more wonderful.

This post made no sense.

Potato.

You do realize that the base of all science is also faith right? Not all scientist will admit that, but it's faith in human knowledge and discovery overcoming the dangers of nature, which is just as legit as religion.

True, but in this case, when you really think about it, Twilight was being a terrible scientist by being totally unyielding in her scientific beliefs and not paying any attention to any of the data that was laid out in front of her.

It has been stated multiple times that the moral was not supposed to have an effect on the religious community, yet I see posts like this everywhere.

I am 100% aware of that. That's why I think this moral should appeal to both religious AND non-religious people, which I think is all to the good, considering what I've posted in my updated defense on this episode:

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/193967/my-own-defense-of-feeling-pinkie-keen-updated

• Brohoof 1

True, but in this case, when you really think about it, Twilight was being a terrible scientist by being totally unyielding in her scientific beliefs and not paying any attention to any of the data that was laid out in front of her.

Which is what I think the real moral of the story was supposed to be: that there will be things that are hard to explain in the world but it's a bad idea to completely throw away the idea of something existing beyond your own comprehension. Not so much "be religious" as "be whatever you want, but accept your friends for what they believe and take inspiration in the positive aspects of each other's beliefs to try and strengthen your friendships and become better people".

• Brohoof 4

Which is what I think the real moral of the story was supposed to be: that there will be things that are hard to explain in the world but it's a bad idea to completely throw away the idea of something existing beyond your own comprehension. Not so much "be religious" as "be whatever you want, but accept your friends for what they believe and take inspiration in the positive aspects of each other's beliefs to try and strengthen your friendships and become better people".

I do believe they managed to establish that in a rather subtle way. Plus, due to what I've discussed with my mom on this episode's moral, I think that the way Twilight worded this episode's lesson at the end is good enough. I hope you can respect that.

I think the moral was more to show the line between healthy skepticism and denying things right in front of you because you don't understand how they work. Twilight was doing the latter and refusing to accept something because it didn't agree with her personal word view. So in essence many of the people calling it out as a attack on skepticism are confusing skepticism for close mindedness, which is what the episode was preaching against.

It's fully possible to still be a skeptic and believe, such as I do. It's about scrutinizing the evidence with a fine tooth comb so all that's left is that which truly defies explanation.         

• Brohoof 2

The real reason why Christians criticized My Little Pony because of us the bronies.

The show supposed for little girls and of course Christian parents are ok with that but.......

Then we came in and ponfied anything in this world. Starting to get more absurd and "violent" in MLP culture.

We polluted the internet everywhere so no wonder why so many people hated us.

Christian parents of course like everyone else grows suspiscion later leading to despite. 

The shows in season 1 and 2 are greatly recommended for Christians.

Season 3 and Equestria Girls getting little creepier so Christians may don't like it.

• Brohoof 1

Meh, if anything, it supports religion to an extent, not sure how it could be anti-Christian. I just think the moral could have been a little bit more clear. Yes, Pinkie's 'sense' happened right in front of her and she couldn't explain it, but the part that bothers me is how Twilight eventually just gave up entirely on figuring it out. She still could have been very skeptical, just not as obsessive in trying to disprove it. Instead, it was 'I cannot disprove this, so you must be right.' That is what bothers me. It wasn't an unfalscible hypothesis like a god, it was happening right in front of her, so she had no reason to give up entirely. She could have still attempted to figure out what it was, just in moderation and not extremely obsessive. Giving up like that isn't exactly what science is about.

I know many will disagree with that part but I do think that is what is supporting religion in this episode. Not strictly any religion, just any supernatural belief like that.

Despite that, I still like the episode, so don't get me wrong there. I just don't agree with the moral completely.

That is incorrect, I have to say that. Don't really want to get in a debate about that but I do think that you are wrong here.

That is incorrect, I have to say that. Don't really want to get in a debate about that but I do think that you are wrong here.

This video that I agree with disagrees with you: http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/god-does-not-play-dice

It probably explains my point much better than I ever could. Also this is in no way a bashing of science, Atheism nor religion.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not a wordy kind of person, so in posts like these, I don't leave too long of an answer.

But to discuss your question, it's really stupid that some people think this is offensive towards Christians, or focus too much on the religous morals of this story. I mean, it's called the Pinkie "Sense", not the Pinkie "Way of Life". All it is is a feeling she gets when something's about to happen 2 seconds from then. Thats my opinion at least.

Well i'm catholic and i loved pinkie keen.

I've often assumed the people who didn't like pinkie keen where

in the bill marh army,

and got horribly offended at the idea of anyone having blind faith or trying to convey that message on to others.

I think a better question would be how it affects those who aren't religious. Personally I dislike episodes that force their writer's religious or political beliefs on you, tis' the same reason I never dealt with those people who go around the neighborhood trying to get people to listen to their religious spell, the episode was the episode version of one of those people.

This video that I agree with disagrees with you: http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/god-does-not-play-dice

It probably explains my point much better than I ever could. Also this is in no way a bashing of science, Atheism nor religion.

You don't understand faith or science if that's what you believe.

SCIENCE IS USED TO EXPLAIN THINGS.

If you're trying to USE FAITH TO EXPLAIN THINGS, IT'S NOT FAITH.

Because faith is defined as belief without evidence, and science is used to explain things with evidence, that is their fundamental differences.

Saying that science is based in faith is about as accurate as saying that food is based in plastic because sometimes toddlers chew on plastic, which makes it like food.

I'm not saying faith is wrong (Actually I AM saying that, but that's not the point of this particular post), I'm just saying that science is what's based on evidence, thinking, and sensing, while faith is based on feeling, emotion, and judging based on preconceived notions.

It actually incredibly annoys me on both sides.

When Atheists like myself say that Faith has to prove something, that annoys me, because faith is defined as something with a lack of proof. If they could prove a God or disprove a God, that would be a science.

It annoys me when the religious say that science can't explain something beyond our ability to observe, because science is only meant to explain things we can observe. One mistake religious people often make is the assumption that just because we don't know how to explain something we can't.

So there is fault on both sides.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 2

...and got horribly offended at the idea of anyone having blind faith or trying to convey that message on to others.

"Blind faith" is usually seen as a negative by most people in the world yes. It's one thing to have faith, strong faith even, and another thing to follow something with no rhyme or reason because "I think it's true" without concern of the consequences. Quite frankly believing in something "just because" seems rather immature IMO. Also pushing your own beliefs down other's throat and forcing others to believe in the same thing IS a bad thing in most cases, that is why so many bronies are ashamed by their fellow fans who try to convert people by posting ponies everywhere for no good reason.

And wooooow did this discussion about an episode get bloody political for no good reason <_<

You don't understand faith or science if that's what you believe.

SCIENCE IS USED TO EXPLAIN THINGS.

If you're trying to USE FAITH TO EXPLAIN THINGS, IT'S NOT FAITH.

Because faith is defined as belief without evidence, and science is used to explain things with evidence, that is their fundamental differences.

No need for caps lock, and they explained that in the video actually, watch it to the very end and you might start looking at things differently as I did from watching it. If all you people are gonna do is yell at me for not going with the flow of what the common belief is, then you clearly haven't understood the true message of this episode, poorly worded moral or not.

Edited by Nightmare Lyre

This episode honestly doesn't seem to convey an opinion on religeous beliefs. Pinkie's miraculous predictions came true before Twilight's eyes, and yet she refused to believe in what she saw. With religeous debates, none of us have seen how the universe came to be or have solid proof of either argument. We rely solely on our beliefs in that sense, while in the show there was tangible evidence to show that what was happening was true. So the moral at the end of the day really has nothing to do with religeon, athiesm, or whatever our beliefs may be. It seems more like an if it quacks it's a duck moral.

• Brohoof 4

I should probably walk away,

but i'm not going to.

Athesists are the first people to not offer any quarter calling religion an un necessary crotch,

and yet expect the comforts of re assurance when a family member passes.

I had a friend who was a hard core athesist who use to argue tooth and nail (well okay that was most of them)

about there being no after life but the moment one of his friends died "well he's with his mom now."

"I thought you didn't believe in that.?"

And i'd get a shitty look as if to say "hay lay off."

this is from the exact same people who feel a little less if they can't make you feel dumb for preying.

This only became a matter of religion once the word "faith" was mentioned. Take that out of the script and what we have is a moral of taking something for what it is, not feeling the need to question it further. Not a good approach to take in life, whether your religious or not.

It also doesn't help that Twilight's methodology was flawed. She went in trying to disprove Pinkie sense, rather than study all of it's aspects and come up with a conclusion afterwords. She tried to find evidence to fit her conclusions, rather than have her conclusions be formed by the evidence, a sign of Twi having some egotism and stubborn pride in her scholarly methods and in science over all. Little different than the scientists back in the day who would scoff at anything that contradicted their perceptions of reality, labeling it ludicrous, then later being labeled themselves as ignorant when the next big invention or the next scientific breakthrough occurred.

• Brohoof 3

Look, if people wanted to simply say,

it's a bummer than twilight gave up so quickly because she's considered the best and brightest mind in equistra,

with out taking the message of the show as some giant middle finger about faith, and or religion, that made those who don't have any feel a little less small.

the counter argument would  have been,

it's 22 min episode.

and no feeling pinkie keen didn't need to be a two parter lol.

I would than attempt to say why you might feel the need that twilight should still want to dissect pinkie (figuratively not literally)

as a running gag,

that would be your only way other alternative ending to the episode.  twilight OCDness wrecking her just a little bit more cause she can't figure out pinkie.

And, I could be fine with that ending ^^.
Cause guess what, I'd still get the same moral ^^.

The alternate moral you could have gotten out of it is twilight does learn to just go with the flow and not run herself into the ground

simply because she can't figure it out.

It's twilight sparkle people.

If twilight can learn to say "Buck it." every once in a while that's not a horrible moral either.
sometimes it's okay to throw in the towl, especially when the only thing on the line is curiosity.

twilight giving up didn't cost anyone their life.

It didn't even hurt anyone that she gave up.

Her continuing would have added further stress to herself,

and she might have even overly focused on figuring out pinkie instead of her legit duties.

I mean it's not like twilight sparkle is a loafer, she has alot things on her plate.

you could just as easily argue she should have had more productive pursuits to fallow in the first place.

Edited by FNGRpony