Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does scratching feels good ?

Deidre Asada

I hate getting bitten by ants they are so annoying but yet every time you scratch the part where the ant bit you it feels good same thing with chicken pox when I was a kid and had them I couldn't stop scratching myself cause it felt good and it help with the itching and the pain..

But why does scratching feels so good every time you scratch you're self but yet again it can be very dangerous to you if you do it a lot. Has any of you ever had any problems while scratching that you just couldn't stop cause it felt so good when you do it and what makes scratching feels so good when scratch you're self.

I think your damaging the nerve ending of where you itching. Make it numb for a short time, because your body fixes them... I'm not sure why but I’ve always had that idea in my head >.> <.<

I can kind of understand what you mean. I contracted some sort of I dunno, dermatitis? on my eyelids after stroking a cat in spain >.> Luckily it's gone now, but I used to need to itch them so bad, that it got to the point where it was just constantly sore and bleh. I'll spare the intricate details, but I had to go through a shit-ton of different creams to find something to stop the itching and help repair my eyelids at the same time.

It's basically because you're scratching skin that is trying to heal itself, so you're just damaging it over and over. If it stings/itches, I suggest you use something to soothe it, like E45 cream, or similar. Or ask your mom for something. :3

*disclaimer - I'm not a doctor. It's just experience*

Light scratching feels good, probably because you're removing dead or irritated skin your body doesn't want.

And if you do it a lot you leave yourself liable to cut yourself :P ~

also this is just a guess.

~

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

Scratching is a reflex to remove irritants. The pleasure from it is probably because it is originally to remove irritants from the skin, because your brain associates scratching with trying to remove irritants,so it than encourages the scratching. That is why it is so hard to quit after starting.

I assume it removes to irritated part of skin by scratching it off more or less, however this can also cause your skin to become more raw and all from removing alot of skin layers.

Thats my assumption i guess. I could always use google I guess, but I suppose its a good enough explanation for me.

Also itchiness is a form of pain, however slight, so the scratching feels good the same way it feels good to massage sore muscles. So thats another reason it feels so good to scratch that itch.smile.png

I know how you feel. When I get Mosquito bites, I'll scratch them until either they stop itching or they bleed. It's a bad habit, but it feels so damn good.

Thank god for Hydrocortisone cream.

Be careful not to scratch it too much.

Unfortunately 2 years ago I had eczema, it's a sort of 'disease' (not really) that makes your skin very itchy, (and ugly :c)

But anyway, I couldn't stop scratching it, it felt nice to have relief.

But I scratched it too much once, and now I have a 5cm long scar (with 1cm width), on my forearm. :(

It's been 2 years, and the scar hasn't seemed to leave. :(

~Luna

Who scratches themselves anymore?

If i have an itch irritating me, i just punch it.

It also makes sure the itch wont come back.

But it wont feel good the next day when you have a bruise on yourself.

So please don't take my wonderful advice, or you may hurt yourself! tongue.png

• 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I don’t know why or how it does but it just does. 

54 minutes ago, Blivy said:

I especially like when someone scratches behind my ears, it makes my thump my hoof on the ground~

My boyfriend literally does this and he’s not even a pony. :mlp_wat:

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I don’t know why or how it does but it just does. 

My boyfriend literally does this and he’s not even a pony. :mlp_wat:

As long as he throws you a doggie treat after and says "good girl" :oh_golly:

• Brohoof 2

• 4 years later...