Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does bad grammar and spelling annoy you? Why or why not?

Lato

129 users have voted

1. 1. Does bad grammar/ and spelling annoy you?

• Yes
    • No

When it's excessive. Everypony spells a word wrong here or there... But there are some things I burn about.

U is not a word. R is not a word.

These things, I can move past, if I like the pony using them.

Using numbers in place of letters does not mean you are creating words.

l33t is not a language.

No, you CANNOT 'axe' me something.

When it's something sarcastic, that's one thing. Even a small slip, now and again.

But when you are truly so ignorant that "u r axing two m3n33 quechun5!!!1!!1!!11!!"...

*unable to finish his point, vomits*

It really depends on the situation. If it's texts or emails related to work, yes, spelling and grammar does matter. But if my friend texts me "Yo m8, let's go eat." As long as I can understand what they are saying, it doesn't bother me.

When it's in my language, yes, my mother has a horrible grammar, and I get mad when she asks me how to write a simple word!!! I'm a bit afraid cause my English isn't perfect and I feel like I misspell words a lot :/

I lose some respect for someone if they can't use proper English and I know that they should know better (I understand people whose first language isn't English or if they're young). Heck, even my English isn't all that great (mainly when writing essays), but.... Well I shouldn't judge :/.

I do like to spell words like they sound, such as:

Cry: crai

Alone: aloan

Leave: leef (ok not the same prounounciacion :P)

Make/take/bake: maek/taek/baek

Etc.

Yes.

My mom had to send a letter to a parole board cause of past family issues with this one dude. Anywho she sent the letter off then let me read it off the computer a couple days later.

I saw so many errors, like she would use the wrong "its" or "your" and I died a little inside reading it.

Well, i don't usually mind Russian or Hebrew, but English is a different story.

English isn't my primary language. I don't feel like i have much of a say here, but i do get irked when i speak with someone and they're using broken English to communicate (when they CAN use proper English, i don't mind it otherwise, not their prime tongue after all).

I get more and more irritated the worse the level of English is.

We'll kind of if it was a kid typing but others with dyslexisa and part dyslexisa I'm not annoyed at them if they have dyslexisa and even part dyslexisa.I have part dyslexisa,My grammar still has misspelled words sometimes but I'm getting better at my grammar via by reading,Looking at people's good grammar that amazes me.

and We'll if others are not kids and if they don't have dyslexisa or part dyslexisa then I would consider them annoying,Other rules keep saying "Use Proper Grammar Please" or "Have Good Grammar" thoese kinda are annoying because other's have dyslexisa and even part dyslexisa it would be nice if the rules also said "If you have dyslexisa and part dyslexisa you're ok if you don't have "Proper Grammar"".

OMGosh, people with incorrect grammar get on my nerves. Like when they say "I is.." I'm like "You mean I am..". I even correct my teachers and parents.Its so annoying. I wish there was auto correct for when you speak. Its just a big ol' pet peeve.

Edited by CandyRush

Yes, especially when it comes to ebonics ("Aks" instead of "Ask", "bruh", "I/you is" instead of "I am/you are") and contractions (there is a difference between your, you're, their, they're, and there). I cannot understand how people who use such appalling grammar manage to graduate from grade school.

That being said, I normally allow some latitude in text messaging, because I understand that text messages aren't meant for long, grammatically valid posts. Also, I understand if those who do not speak English as a first language make mistakes; it's not their native language, after all!

Edited by skbl17

it all depends for me, if its to mess with people who have a problem with errors, then i get a good laugh.
but, i absolutely hate it when "u type leik dis" or "Like This".
1337 also really gets under my skin.
so yes, bad grammar does annoy me

Typically yes, but it becomes extremely annoying when people mistake the following:

• you're/your
  • affect/effect
  • there/their/they're

A few errors here and there are fine, especially when making a joke but if you're typing like a 2nd grader with no excuses (excuses obviously including English not being your first language or you have a disability), then yeah it's annoying. 

This obviously isn't school but at least try to act like you care about proper speaking.

Besides even when you don't know how to spell or write something, both Google and Spell Check exist when available. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really one to judge since I only recently bothered to google your and you're to learn the difference. ^_^

one would think I'd learn that in school, but oh well.

I don't really have a problem with it unless their doing a full on assault on the English language, or are chatting like they've visited the internet before.

you know, the type of typing where every other word is spelled wrong with unfinished sentences.

an old friend of mine had a boy friend who texted  like this. once I remember her saying that she mostly assumed what he was trying to say rather than knowing for sure.

you see these kind of people on twitter sometimes, but it's rather rare if you stay in the otaku circles, but when I do see it I get really annoyed and I'm tempted to block them so I don't accidentally have the displeasure of seeing it again.  

Oh, yes. In all forms. Those "I forget" habits and misspelled their/there/they're and yours/you'res. YouTube comments are so ridiculously idiotic I want to scream. The easiest way online I can think of getting a headache.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 1

As someone whose grammar and spelling are pretty much flawless, yes it bothers me. Unless it's on purpose or they are just being kinda lazy, then I don't care that much. I don't think it's necessary to have perfect spelling when chatting with people, for example.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't typically bother me, but it will if someone purposely uses poor grammar. 

Things like this will not bother me:

Depression is a side affect of a lot of antidepressants.  

Things like this will bother me:

do u want 2 come ovr. 

I have poor grammar and spelling myself, so it would be hypocritical of me to get annoyed when someone else does.