Yellow Diamond

S04:E06 - Power Ponies  

253 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(Sighs).....I do not, and I mean do not talk about the show or any of it's episodes in a negative light.

I mentioned previously that I was not looking forward to this episode, and after watching this one this morning. I can only say this.....

I did not enjoy this episode one bit. That's right, I did not like this episode. While there are people who loved it, I hated it. There, I said it. I hated Power Ponies. It is not everyday you see me angry over an episode of a TV show, but this episode actually made me angry at what they did.

I don't want to go into full details, but this episode was all over the shop.

I couldn't keep up with the story, I did not like the Flutterhulk (why they did this I don't know) bit and by the end of the episode I was confused to no end and wonder what the heck happened.

I would continue on at this point, but I just want this episode to be forgotten from my memory.

I'm sorry to those who liked the episode, but as the saying goes:

"You can't please all the people all the time."

:angry:

what do you mean again xD I rarely show up in these places :P

something I did like about the episode was them fixing up the old castle, does that mean Twilight's getting a nice fancy new place to stay? :3Hah

Hhaha, sorry if I sounded a little mean in my last reply, twas just giving ya a hard time! :lol:  Now that all the obvious episodes are counted for the rest is going to be kind of a surprise, which is just the way I like it! :yay: 

This episode is going to spawn so much R34 and flutterhulk images  I'm terrified because at some point I believe they will combine.... overall this was my least favorite episode, never cared much for super heros. It's cool spike got some screentime aside from being a mailbox though ^_^

i still haven't' seen any daring do rainbow dash pics any where, than again i haven't looked that hard,

speaking of which brb.

you know hate on me if you will, i wonder what kimi sparkles has to say about this episode LOL.

pile on the ham LOL.

Edited by FNGRpony

i still haven't' seen any daring do rainbow dash pics any where, than again i haven't looked that hard,

speaking of which brb.

I've seen a few XD and Lunatics already tried to send me R34 flutterhulk on skype, I am terrified to download it XD

Goddammit Spoon, you forgot the poll </3

That was about as awesome as I knew it would be :D Definitely tops the last one, and is probably right along with Daring Don't, for me. Loved the endless creativity used for the powers shown of these super hero personas and the effects they got to use throughout the episode to display them, they managed to make the villain far more interesting than she originally seemed to be upon spoiler images, and overall it was a great Spike episode as well.

Overall, a great episode giving a sometimes underrated and underused character a shot at the prime role to save his friends, an 'alternate reality' trope-using episode, which are always awesome from all the possibilities and freedom to do awesome things they give, and a much better villain than I think a lot of people anticipated. I love how she moves around :wacko:

"Oh gosh, that wouldn't be very polite :blush: "

"No biggie, I was already awesome, and now we've got super powers! B) "

"Time to power pony up! :huh: "

"OooOOOOoooh, nice catchphrase :lol: "

• Brohoof 2

Overall I think the episode was very meh. Very predictable, in my eyes.

Makes me wonder as well... When are the ponies going to find the six keys? Is that all gonna be in the season finale? I expected them to be found throughout the season. :blink:

• Brohoof 1

Makes me wonder as well... When are the ponies going to find the six keys? Is that all gonna be in the season finale? I expected them to be found throughout the season. :blink:

I hope they don't cram all 6 keys into 1 finale that would be kinda disapointing, hopefully they do the smart thing and make them gain the keys over all the season :P

• Brohoof 1

Hey now, we're only 6 episodes in :D I bet they get found throughout the season, towards the end, and the final key will probably be found by Twilight in the finale.

Because My Little Pony: Friendship Twilight is Magic :D

Don't jump the gun, dude, we'll get there :D

Edited by ~Sadistic ghostfk39~
  • Brohoof 1

Hey now, we're only 6 episodes in :D I bet they get found throughout the season, towards the end, and the final key will probably be found by Twilight in the finale.

I personally think it would be cool if Twilight found her key before the finale and didn't open it till the finale :P

btw Twilight is Magic possibly the best thing ever XD

• Brohoof 1

Howdy all!

Good gosh Powert Ponies was quite good.

Poor Spike being the sidekick with no powers at all. :(

He does have heart and that what matters & he saved the day.

It was funny as heck to see the mane 6 into superheroes. :lol:

See ya!

• Brohoof 1

Don't jump the gun, dude, we'll get there :D

I am not a dude. .-.

Lol, I was just expecting them a little earlier. Also, after reading the synopsises of the upcoming episodes, it doesn't seem like they'd be found in those ones. But yeah, maybe towards the end. :P

Of course it's predictable; we're not the target audience, young kids are :3 Folks who use 'it was predictable' as a negative review factor for episodes in this fandom aren't going to enjoy the show a whole lot in general. Just sayin'.

• Brohoof 2

Someone has uploaded a 1080p version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kBx8D5Jn0&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for that! Was able to watch it on the same day it was aired (Saturday).

Concerning the episode - I loved it! One of the best of all episodes so far! I would say this Season 4, in it 5 out of 6 episode were action episodes and I liked them all, they are my fave type of episodes. The one being only the previous episode 'Flight to the finish' that was not from the ones I like..

From Ponycraft to some other fan made content featuring ponies instead of superheroes or characters of games, this really made me like such kind of thing, as I've seen great work by people on deviantArt who made awesome things replacing characters with the Mane 6.

I was never into comics, as a kid I did like watching Spiderman (that Mane-iac was looking like when moving between the skyscrapers using her mane), Iron man (and I liked Marvel characters, not DC Universe that include Batman, Superman, Flash - which Pinkie Pie was) but like I said, I love such action, I started enjoying ponies taking the roles of other characters and worlds since I saw some nice fan art, so I loved that episode!

Also, MLP is about Fantasy and since long ago I lost some interest in fantasy and started liking sci fiction more. Though seeing recently Hobbit, even the episodes of MLP that are with magic and castles (like Castle Mani-a) really reminded me that fantasy is also very cool!

But as being a lover of futuristic or metro stuff, it was amazing to see a big city of ponies, like a contemporary metro city skyline than villages and castles. This was very well written and interesting to present this kind of world with ponies!

I liked the villain, although as some said this had better been 2 episodes, we could have enjoyed seeing more of her and her evil plan. In the face she reminded me of Luna, the facial features; other than that she was unique.

The factory reminded me of some other shows I've seen where the action takes place in such! (like TS). The action itself was nice but needed 2 episodes, as this was too little to put all in 1 episode, I liked it either way.

The end of it, yes it was predictable but I liked it. I fancy Fluttershy so I cannot say seeing her turning into Hulk was very nice, and that end of the episode was a little rushed but overall great episode! Like I said, the whole idea of showing ponies in a contemporary city, was unique and I loved it!

Oh and the castle is the one from Castle-mane-ia? It will sure look great if restored and as some suggested, may become the one owned by Twilight.

Edited by ImtR
  • Brohoof 1

I am not a dude. .-.

Lol, I was just expecting them a little earlier. Also, after reading the synopsises of the upcoming episodes, it doesn't seem like they'd be found in those ones. But yeah, maybe towards the end. :P

:lol: I call everyone that when I'm in a good mood :D I know you're a chick, you're on my friends list :P I be in the know 'bout my friendz, ya feel me? :P

I'm thinking 18-ish onward for some reason, by the way. Dunno why, but I am. Seems like a dividing line. Maybe earlier, but no earlier than 15 will the keys start playing a major factor again.

• Brohoof 2

Of course it's predictable; we're not the target audience, young kids are :3 Folks who use 'it was predictable' as a negative review factor for episodes in this fandom aren't going to enjoy the show a whole lot in general. Just sayin'.

Usually I don't find them predictable... :P

Honestly predictable was the only aspect I could really put my finger on about it that I didn't like. The episode was just a little off for me, but that's just my opinion. :derp:

Ahhh, Power Ponies. The hype was strong for this one. Was it worth it? Personally, I don’t think so. In fact, in my opinion, this episode was, well, not good. But it seems like everypony else liked it. Why not me? Well, there’s a few reasons. For starters, we will discuss the humour, because that was pretty much the purpose of this episode. It was a fun romp, just like Castle Mane-ia. Or at least it was supposed to be.

This episode was not very funny in my opinion. The laughs I emitted were mostly from the usual Pinkie antics, so I don’t give much props for that. Because who can’t laugh at Pinkie Pie? But other than that, and the silliness of Flutterhulk, there wasn’t much going for humour here. There were some cheesy puns, probably to maintain the trope of the ridiculously un-punny catch phrases from comics, but like their inspiration, they failed to illicit more than a slight snicker at the cheesiness. The episode resolutely lacked good hearty belly-laughs. Humour failed here, meaning in its own right, the episode failed to serve its purpose.

But humour is not the only area which falls short. The whole plot of the episode was predictable. It went beyond the predictability of Castle Mane-ia, where you figured it was Pinkie later on, because she wasn’t in the group as they were walking together. No. I was able to call pretty much the whole episode from the beginning. Oh look, Spike is the useless one. Spike thinks he’s useless. Something happens to put the ponies out of commission, and Spike saves the day, before being told for the millionth time that he does have value. I was so annoyed as each event unfolded, I forgot to pay attention to what happened specifically, because it was just too much that I knew the whole plot from the beginning.

Even the moral was easy to guess, because we’ve seen it before. I don’t know how many times we’ve seen Spike depicted as underappreciated. Honestly, unless you are going to go a little deeper and examine why he feels the way he does, repetition does neither the moral nor Spike’s development any good.

In fact, it is pretty much getting to the point of “Where is Spike’s development?” Honestly, two episodes about greed and two about feeling underappreciated, all of which seem to have never happened once we see the next Spike episode? When can we see his development solidified?  I am not saying they are bad episodes, just freaking repetitive. I want to see that Spike actually learned something, and if the same thing is taught multiple times, every successive depiction is just irritating.

Spike’s character isn’t the only one that irritated me in this episode. For the most part, the other ponies were pretty much true to their character. Fluttershy was cutesy and quiet, with a bit of a tough streak if you mess with innocent animals (FLUTTERHULK SMASH!), Twilight was a good leader (I love how her character is peaked to allow others to grow), Dash was reckless (LEEEEEROY JENNNKKINS!), Pinkie was Pinkie (always a hoot), Rarity was fabulous but awesome (I loved how nonchalant Rarity was), and AJ was- I don’t know. I saw no characterisation on AJ’s part really. I thought we were trying to stop her from being a background pony? Their depictions in terms of personality were pretty good (ASIDE FROM AJ, GOD DANGIT). They weren’t as deep as I would like, but they weren’t the focus, so it’s understandable that such was the case.

But something that did displease me about the characterisation was in the abilities. Their powers suited them. (Wait, what?) But how would that displease me you may ask? Because their powers suited them, it doesn’t make sense that they would not be able to use them right away (aside from Fluttershy). And yet, Dash fails to control her storm, Twi can’t use her magic properly, and AJ the rodeo star doesn’t know how to lasso. Given their natural abilities, they should have had no trouble. I have seen the argument that “It’s a different universe, so there.” But I would respond that such an argument is only a justification for the contrivance which was the Mane Six failing to use their powers, solely so that Spike could be useful. It shouldn’t be necessary to argue on grounds of different physics.

A character who completely bombed was the Mane-iac. Seriously? She wants to give everypony bad hair? Ridiculous. I understand that the intent was to go over-the-top to get some laughs, but she went to far, and overshot funny into the territory of just plain dumb.

Geez BalanceBrony! Is their any saving this episode for you? There were actually a couple of saving graces, though they are precious- two. I loved the little dialogue between Spike and Twilight at the beginning. The “two minutes” thing is exactly the kind of banter I would expect between a mother and a foal. I feel this brief seen really gives credence to the notion that Twilight and Spike have a deep familial relationship, and that Spike is not her slave or pet. So, now all I have to say is this: STAHP SPILIGHT PEOPLES! It’s just wrong.

The other thing which interested me in this episode was the return of the ruined castle. Why does it keep coming up? Will it have some kind of significance later? Potential continuity foalks! *squee*

So what is my final diagnosis of this episode? The plot was predictable, the humour was nothing special, the moral was redundant, the characterisation was lackluster, the villain was ridiculous, and the lack of development was infuriating. The only good things were the depiction of Twilight and Spike’s relationship, the potential continuity, and some aspects of portrayal. But overall this episode failed pretty hardcore to entertain me. It didn’t disgust me, but it was just boring and un-entertaining. My impression is meh, but my rating leans towards bad, at 3.5/10 stars. Impression is what I feel, rating is my point-by-point analysis.

Let me know what you guys think. Do you want more reviews in the future? What did you think of Power Ponies?

I hope to hear from you all!

Hey there. I merged your thread with the main episode thread. Just a heads up. 

• Brohoof 1

This is probably already said before, but anypony noticed that mlp is focusing way more on epic adventure and more boyish like things lately? Not that I mind it, but still, they shouldn't overdo it,

• Brohoof 1

This is probably already said before, but anypony noticed that mlp is focusing way more on epic adventure and more boyish like things lately? Not that I mind it, but still, they shouldn't overdo it,

it's focusing on way more adventure than anything else which I find kinda cool :P there is also a lot more fan service Imo

• Brohoof 1

If you don't why they made Fluttershy the Hulk, then you didn't watch Putting Your Hoof Down hard enough.

She looked great there (I says so without being able to recall what she looked like, just vague memories), but here, after I got spoiled by these Hulk Fluttershy memes, I knew she'd turn into Hulk but I expected greenish. With that yellow she looked like Pokémon mutant gone wrong :'))))

Edited by ImtR

it's focusing on way more adventure than anything else which I find kinda cool :P there is also a lot more fan service Imo

I agree yes. There are just so much more things which seem to be aimed at bronies alone :P. I hope that Discord song is coming soon!

She looked great there (I says so without being able to recall what she looked like, just vague memories), but here, after I got spoiled by these Hulk Fluttershy memes, I knew she'd turn into Hulk but why yellow? Looked like Pokémon mutant gone wrong :D

She looked like a demonic Pikachu when she transformed but she looked bloody adorable before that I loved her with a wavy mane :3