Yellow Diamond

S04:E06 - Power Ponies  

253 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I did not like this episode at all. I don't hate it, the episode was just kind of boring and forgettable. In a recipe you should sometimes add a little spice, but adding too much can ruin the dish, if you know what I mean

Overall: 5.5/10

I don't think it was forgettable but it was the worst of S4 easily in my opinion :(

• Brohoof 1

this episode was interesting but i prefer daring don't. This ep was good though, i didn't like the very end. This ep was odd but i don't think it was bad by any extent, that being said it probably is the worst of season 4 so far.

Edited by Tan

This episode might be tied with Daring Don't as my favorite episode of the season so far. It was wonderful seeing them try something different in terms of FiM and I loved the Mane-iac. Plus the moral was good as well. The episode might have had a bit of an overly epic set up for 22 minute episodes, but it didn't negatively effect it in my opinion. I don't see it as 'losing it's focus'. It is just exploring new areas. Notice how the moral still revolved around something related to friendship. That is still in focus. Plus, this was a comic book world and not normal Equestria hence why it was a bit more wacky and out of place. Enchanted comic books? Why not? Sounds neat to me. :)

Overall, I really liked it. There were not any memorable facial expressions this time around, but tons of character and fun.

• Brohoof 3

this episode was interesting but i prefer daring don't. This ep was good though, i didn't like the very end. This ep was odd but i don't think it was bad by any extent, that being said it probably is the worst of season 4 so far.

The end was aweful, Enchanted comic book store? you would think there would be safety rules about that since what if you die or cant get out of the comic book, and why did the comic book disappear after?

The end was aweful, Enchanted comic book store? you would think there would be safety rules about that since what if you die or cant get out of the comic book, and why did the comic book disappear after?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. There's the possibility that whoever sold the comic the spike didn't warn him of the dangers because the person's a douchebag trying to get people trapped in his or her comics. Maybe.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. There's the possibility that whoever sold the comic the spike didn't warn him of the dangers because the person's a douchebag trying to get people trapped in his or her comics. Maybe.

either way Spike is basically a kid, that's just harsh but then again with enough bits everything can be bought as proven with alicorn amulet

I quite enjoyed the episode, it was a very fun episode to watch :D

And it just has lots of fun memorable stuff and it was pretty awesome i think :D.

Now from a serious standpoint of does this episode do this well or this well was it good? Well not as much no.

The thing is i just don't feel like this is an episode to be taken that seriously and analyzed very much, it was kinda an episode with no real purpose necessarily, but it was just a fun episode and fun to watch.

I don't feel like I could compare it to something like the season premier or the finale, because they almost feel like separate categories for me.

Mlp episodes i feel have some episodes that are more fun and randomness, and episodes that are more serious. I think Power ponies is something better to be compared with something like.. To many Pinkie Pies or something. 

However this is all my opinions and whatever, and i'm not really known for being very critical, infact i'm known for essentially being the opposite most of the time, in the fact that i'm pretty easy to please.

So yeah, i enjoyed this episode personally, but i can see why some may not. It kinda depends on how you look at it i guess.

Anyways, i felt the mane 6 all had very fitting powers, My favorite is probably Rarities, or Pinkies, or maybe Fluttershy's. Honestly they all had some fun moments for me :D. Rarities power creating stuff out of thin air was just plain cool, Pinkie's was just hilarious to watch for me, Fluttershy's was quite fun to, although her design is actually quite scary xD, Applejack's was a pretty fitting one for her actually, even if it wasn't super special, Twilights was not all that surprising and matches what i imagine she may be able to do to an extent already, and Rainbows was fitting and fun to. I find it adorable watching ponies hold things in their mouth, so i find it oddly adorable as she attempted to unleash storms on bad guys ;p.

So yeah i liked the episode overall personally, even if it didn't have any super serious purpose, although it was a well done Spike episode i find, and the part that made Spike tear up gave me some feels to(I don't really tear up to much of anything, so yeah.) It was just really sweet.

I dunno if i'd say i could compare it with Daring don't as they feel like totally different types of episodes to me, so its hard to say which is my favorite for the season, or where i'd place it really. I liked it though, and to me thats all that matters :).

Oh and Ps. while i'm sure it has been overused i never heard the wilheim scream really, i wasn't listening that much. So it didn't really get to me. I don't tend to notice those minor details i guess ;p.

And if there is something i had to say directly negative about the episode, its that there was no song in it :(. I NEED MORE SONGS I LOVE MUSIC TO MUCH FOR THIS ;p.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

I think I countered this effectively enough in the official show topic as to not have to do it again :D

So, yeahh...it appears that, unfortunately, you don't seem too open to new ideas about this particular episode :D You said almost the exact same things I countered in the other, official, episode thread, without throwing any new perspective or ideas in there,  or re-thinking your stance to see if it you were truly correct about how bad it was, because, had you done that, your argument would've changed. Maybe not your perspective in of itself, but I think you need to be more open minded about certain aspects of the show. :D

I'm open to new ideas. In fact, I used one of your points. You changed my perspective on the characters. And I did provide as objective review as I could. But if you recall my response, the fact of the matter is, knowing other perspectives does not alter my response to the stimuli. Once again, even examining this from the perspective of humor alone, in and of itself, it still falls flat. Edited by BalanceBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Jeez why is it every episodes people over analyze EVERYTHING? That's just gonna ruin the episode for you. This episode wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It was just a fun episode. But instead of comedy we get some action. Whats so wrong with that? Does EVERY episode have to be a certain way? We can't have nice little fun side episodes like this one. This episodes was purely for enjoyment, and it was enjoyable. Plus we got a nice lesson too. I give it an 8 out of 10.

• Brohoof 1

Jeez why is it every episodes people over analyze EVERYTHING? That's just gonna ruin the episode for you. This episode wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It was just a fun episode. But instead of comedy we get some action. Whats so wrong with that? Does EVERY episode have to be a certain way? We can't have nice little fun side episodes like this one. This episodes was purely for enjoyment, and it was enjoyable. Plus we got a nice lesson too. I give it an 8 out of 10.

it's just the way some people are :P I know many people who love to analyze shows and they don't dislike it

This is definitely one of the best episodes so far. I still like Flight to the Finish slightly more but it's a close call for me. I love super powers and everything to do with them. Flutterhulk was a tad...disturbing. The villain was pretty much insane. The super powers in General were awesome. Obviously nothing new, but whatevz. Practically all powers have been done before. Storm similar to Rainbow's. Flash similar to Pinkie's and so on and so forth. Actually really enjoyed this weeks episodes unlike episode 3 and 4.

it's just the way some people are :P I know many people who love to analyze shows and they don't dislike it

Yeah but it just bugs me when people don't like an episode just because of some over-analytically, nitpicky, insignificant thing or things. 

So I finally got around to watching the episode, and... it was weird.  Still pretty good, but weird.  I probably could have lived my entire life without ever needing to see the Flutterhulk, but I think that the episode's message was good, and the Mane-iac was fun (I really enjoyed her voice actress!).  It's probably one of the better Spike episodes in my opinion.

I guess my final verdict would be that I enjoyed it overall and it wasn't a half-bad addition to the season.  Just... I really never need to see the Flutterhulk ever again...

• Brohoof 1

@Zygen The Wilhelm Scream is in there. Near the end, when Spike sees Fluttershy leaving, you can hear it while the other characters are wrecking shop offscreen. Glad I'm not the only one who likes to keep track of it.

@Antismurf9001 I'm with you. Everyone seems to like FlutterHulk but I personally didn't care for it, not the least of which because the reason she did hulk out was rather ridiculous. I understand that that was the joke, but I didn't find the joke funny.

It's a decent episode, but I doubt it's going to be one of my favorites of the season. I think Pinkie Pie was enjoying herself too much with super speed, but then again, I loved her for exactly that reason. She was defeating mooks and I don't even think she realized it. Loved Rarity as Radiance. Got the power to materialize anything out of then air? Proceeds to defeat mooks... in style! Finally, I liked Mane-iac. Because rather than actually take pro-active action against the heroes, she much rather lounge around and let them do theirselves in. Or lounge around while taunting them later on. I just like amiable villains, who make no attempts to hide that they're evil but are jovial and friendly anyways. She reminds me of a less potent Discord.

Edited by AwakeOrangutang

Ok, it started slow for me.  Like I said earlier, I'm not into the whole superhero thing.  Was kind of boring.  But I laughed myself literally to tears when Flutterhulk came out.  That just made the whole episode for me.  That was probably my second favorite mlp moment ever.  (first favorite is pinkie's crazy pony face)

very well done hasbro, very well done. after a disappointing episode 5 you give me something to look forward to in episode 6, and you don't disappoint this time. I love the progression of the mane 7 in this story and the different speeds they learn to use their powers ( or the lack thereof). the story was very enjoyable, and the lesson learned not only by spike, but the mane6 is very applicable. plus we (sort of) got a new villain!!!! pinkie pie had a role instead of being clueless, I gained more appreciation for raritys character, rainbow dash was humbled a bit...this episode had it all.

I will most definitely be watching it again and again.

Great episode, it was unique and just plain fun to watch. The villain was great too. Pinkie's one liners were also fantastic.

I could've gone without seeing Fluttershy Hulk honestly. 

• Brohoof 1