S04:E06 - Power Ponies  

253 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

You're a horrible person for thinking such a creepy idea XD

Not at all! you know there are some ponies out there who come up with amazing ideas of what Discord's magic can do for them ;) Chrysalis just turns into a Pony Counselor and tricks the ponies to confessing their Discord love and then she writes books about it!

*sigh* Let's see now, what do we have this week from the ponies?  :)

:blink:

A superhero episode?  DHX made another superhero episode?  And it's not just one superhero, it's pretty much parodying every single thing you could possibly parody about comic books and superheroes???

Oh my goodness, dis gon' be good!!!  :comeatus:  If you'll excuse me everypony...

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 5

^ I was really worried that Fluttershy's transformation could look so....gruesome like some of the characters usually get in Spongebob's 2005-present episodes. 

I'm happy it was nothing dreadful.

This has been one of the greatest enjoyments this season! The superhero theme might be gimmicky for some and I hope there aren't many bronies out there who would hold it against this episode. I loved the action, I loved the characters and I loved the whole premise. The only disappointment is probably the origins of a magic comic book, which probably won't be explained unless we see some future appearances from the Mane-iac.

I was genuinely surprised that this happened to be a Spike centered episode. Usually, to me, it feels like Spike's episodes are overlooked and nobody cares for them. Power Ponies is so over-the-top, nobody could possibly deny Spike this one shining moment of pure awesomeness. I'm glad to see a Spike episode that doesn't focus on his greed. 

The Mane-iac, also, is the most over-the-top villain I've seen yet. To be fair, the Mane-iac is NOT the center of this episode, so I wasn't bothered if I didn't know anything about her or why she does evil things. She was still an awesome foil for our heroes. I love her design and her maniacal laughter. Maybe the real reason I'm excited is because she's one of the few antagonists who doesn't turn into a good guy when she's defeated. To the contrary, defeat only made her MORE insane. 

The build up was well thought out, as we see the ponies adjusting to their new powers. The moral is maybe one we've heard before, but I'm still happy for Spike. This is the first time the Mane Six have been caged up and truly helpless against their certain doom, before Spike came to rescue them. All in all, this was a fun detour from the usual formulaic approach to My Little Pony and a wonderfully executed idea. Couldn't say enough good about it.

Unfortunately... Merriwether Williams is scheduled to write the next episode. Even if she was learning from past mistakes, would anyone prefer having M. A. Larson back instead of her.

I don't have time right now to type a full review, but I liked this episode! That shot of Rarity prancing down the stairs with her nose in the air made my whole day, lol.

I would have preferred the "we got sucked into a fictional world" thing being used in the Daring Do episode, but this was still very well done. But you know me, I love superhero episodes! ^^

• Brohoof 2

I enjoyed this episode: in my opinion it’s been the most different episode out the entire 4 seasons of MLP FIM, they’ve done the going into another world in EG which I loved but this was even weirder.

Not been my faverite but still pretty good: 6/10

• Brohoof 1

I have to admit

The powers the mane 6 had was pretty much something they could do in reality so really they aren't super powers.....

I have to say though I'm probably the only one who didn't like the whole Fluttershy Hulk parody.

It felt forced.

Things that bugged me about this episode
1. Rainbow Dash got the power to control weather....wait couldn't she do that already?
2. Twilight got the power to shoot a blue beam....wasn't it purple before?

3. Applejack got the power to use a lasso....like she could before?

4. Fluttershy got the ability to turn into roidrages dad....why for the love of Celestia is that a thing....

5. Mane-iac looked like Luna with a new mane
6. Enchanted comic book store?
7. you would think spike would have some power at the very least, I mean in Equestria he at least was able to breathe fire

8. Why is a enchanted comic book store selling dangerous comics to young dragons?
9. where did the comic book go in the end? I think spike got ripped off

Hm, I personally didn't like this episode as much as I thought I was going to. Yes, the whole episode was about how the ponies don't really appreciate Spike as much as they should, but I still thought that they tried to shove the concept into our faces.  Even so, I did like the costumes...and, well, Fluttershy turning into a Pony version of Hulk, I thought was quite funny.

This is not the stand out episodes that i enjoyed but it was fun and light like a filler episode. The superhero parody was done pretty well, i found it less cheesy than other shows that had cheesy superhero parody episodes.

Okay, this episode is a lot of fun, but the main problem I see is that Spike already learned this lesson and showed no signs of needing to learn it again. If this episode was to reassure fans that Spike is a valued member of the team, that's not something I ever felt was in doubt. Merely not giving Spike anything to do in fixing the Castle was a paper-thin, contrived justification. We're told this was a lesson Spike needed to learn and never shown it. It was a forced, tacked on moral that served as nothing but an excuse for the superhero plot line (and really, they could have come up with anything else).

I also found it lame how Mane-iac as a villain was centered around hair and her "evil" ambition was only to give everyone in Maretropolis a bad hair day. Then again, it's nowhere near as bad as a battle with pies, so I can let it go. (What I did like about the evil hair-dresser angle was the way it allowed Mane-iac to move like Doctor Octopus. She had a lot of visual flare so that, at least, is good.) 

Oh, I don't want to forget this. Most of the time the teaser before the theme song just serves the purpose of setting up the episode and leaves no impact in itself, but this teaser I really like. It showed Twilight as a warm, motherly figure which I just adore. This side of Twilight has been around since season one, and it's a big part of why I like her character.

Overall, this episode had little in the way of substance to offer, but damn if it wasn't fun.

7/10

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 1

woo so I watched this episode with flipturn a couple of hours after the premiere.

I think that the episode could have been quite good if they changed a couple of things and did so it was all a dream and not reality. Cause... I think the episode was funny to watch, I mean the flutterhulk made me laugh, but the episode was also quite stupid to be honest. Teleported into a random comic book without explanation and a flutterhulk... really? Nah.. I don't really know what to say about the episode.. I know it was just a comic book so it's supposed to be a bit weird but come on.. The villain's plan was just silly. ..And what exactly did they learn this episode? :huh: A plus goes to the villain for using her hair as a chair, though.

It kinda felt like the whole episode was made just to give us a laugh.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's really cool that such a distinctly for girls show was able to dive into a genre usually reserved for boys for an entire episode. The fact that this episode can breach that divide so effortlessly like it's nothing is itself a big point in its favor. 

(I know there was also Mare Do Well, but the connection there was much more tangential and didn't amount to much.)

Edited by ByTheTides

I liked it, but the only thing... Flutterhulk? Do ponies even have half of those muscles? You know what, Mechanics. I don't think it mates. Anyway, it seemed cool, about twenty percent cooler then most super power shows...

Lacked originality? Hoo boy, tough crowds lately.

I thought this episode was stunning as a concept. Not fully executed, but still damn good in places.

I'm curious, what do you people mean when you say originality?
Plenty of morals & basic plotlines in this damn show are borrowed from something else and presented through colorful ponies.

That's how most cartoons make lots of episodes. They take familiar concepts and put their own spin on them.

If you narrow the plotlines down to their cores, most of the mlp episodes aren't too original.

S1E6 = Braggart comes to town and shows off, something bad happens, main character upstages the braggart.
S1E8 = Two friends don't see eye to eye, they're forced to spend time with each other, (after the breaking point) they embrace each other's differences.

S2E13 = Naive babysitter gets in over her head with some crying babies.

etc, etc.

Y'know what? All things considered, i think this episode is actually one of the most "original" we've seen in a while.
Like others have said, this episode did a much better job with the "superhero for a day" plot than most other cartoons.

Edited by CosmoCosma

I was lost for like ENTIRE EPISODE.
It was like... well. so confusing having those..
what does it mean anyway @_@

<spoilers>

enchanted bookstore,

what? Its bucking dangerous books. Isn't that... freaking evil or something?

Seriously. I think there is no point in this episode unless there's another episode talking about this thing

And, The reaction after they got out of the book. They acted like they just took a good roller coaster or something.....

Not bad. but just.... WTF MAN

Edited by woong712

I was lost for like ENTIRE EPISODE.

It was like... well. so confusing having those..

what does it mean anyway @_@

<spoilers>

enchanted bookstore,

what? Its bucking dangerous books. Isn't that... freaking evil or something?

Seriously. I think there is no point in this episode unless there's another episode talking about this thing

And, The reaction after they got out of the book. They acted like they just took a good roller coaster or something.....

Not bad. but just.... WTF MAN

Thats probably one of the things I disliked about the episode. Why are enchanted comic book stores a thing :|

Guys, what is the problem with a store that sells enchanted comic books?

We had a store selling a freaking powerful and dangerous magical artifact in season 3. The Alicorn Amulet.

There was a pond that makes crazy clones of ponies that was left unguarded...

• Brohoof 1

Well, personally it was my least favorite episode of the season. Not that I didn't like it, but it didn't really "stick" with me. I watched it a second time today and it seemed strangely paced and the dialogue wasn't satisfactory. I did enjoy the animation (as always), as well as RD and Rarity's handle of their powers and of course Flutterhulk.

I didn't really get why Twilight was having trouble with her powers as she's a magical genius of sorts, and I feel I should have reacted more strongly when RD was frozen by that spray of doom thing, as that sort of thing usually gets a reaction out of me. I was expecting more from all the promos we were given since weeks past. Perhaps my lack of enthusiasm was due to my state of mind at the time of watching, since both days my mood wasn't at it's best.

It was fun though, I'd give it a generous 8/10.

Edit:

Watched it again, this time in a much better mood. I definitely enjoyed it more than the previous times.

Edited by Autumn_Breeze

Hate to be a negative nancy, but I was kind of disappointed with this episode :/ It was a good idea, but the episode turned out to be pretty insipid imo. The episode's predictability kind of hurt it as well. One thing I have to commend though is the animation. Some of the animation in the episode was really top-notch. Also, the Power Pony superheroes were pretty nice as well. My favorite would be Radiance :D her powers were really awesome.

Guys, what is the problem with a store that sells enchanted comic books?

We had a store selling a freaking powerful and dangerous magical artifact in season 3. The Alicorn Amulet.

There was a pond that makes crazy clones of ponies that was left unguarded...

A million times this.

Although, i think it's a good thing when a fandom nitpicks an episode so much.

It obviously means that the show is too good for real huge criticisms at the moment. :D

It's like someone coming home from work everyday and moaning about the air conditioning in their office.

If that's the only thing they have an issue with, and not the pay, colleagues and hours, then they still have a pretty fgood job.

I take the same logic with these episodes. It's a good sign which re-affirms that season 4 is starting strongly.