Yellow Diamond

S04:E06 - Power Ponies  

253 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

It's decent but It would of been a nice reference if Twilight was The mane-iac's assistant... This would make the story more interesting because they could add a betrayal twist involved near the end where Twilight helps the Power Ponies. And it would add a harley quinn reference (Another Character Tara Voices)

And dd anyone think that the story could be over in 3 seconds with rarity's power....

It seemed to be over too quickly in my opinion... And I would have liked maybe a twist at the end...

However I did enjoy the superhero references and themes :) it was nice... Not my favourite of the season but nice

Edited by Jingle JellyBean

As a fan of pop culture and superheroes, this episode is one of my favs for this season (so far).

Yes, it WAS another "Spike feels underappreciated"-episodes...seriously, is it me or does it seem like the characters go through a "personal flaw/resolution" episode and then fall back into that same flaw in the next season? Honestly I would like see some of these flaws resolved and STAY resolved...come up with some new things for them.

For pure entertainment purposes, I felt it delivered. Truth be told, from the advertisements I thought the Mane-iac was a male and he was voiced by Tom Kenny...that laugh while sitting on the hairdryer was a dead-ringer for the Ice King from Adventure Time. 

.....on a personal note, I loved seeing Pinkie in action, since that is essentially what my OC/avatar is...not a superhero mind you, but a superfast earth colt I've been developing...still need a name for him...any ideas?

Edited by kaijuoh
  • Brohoof 1

Dem costumes!

Power_Ponies_quotnice_catchphrasequot_S4

Rarity was overall the most striking to me in this episode. Her name (Radiance), her power, her look; everything.

The jewels in her mane and tail are a great touch. They echo the magenta jewels on her forelegs. Blue, blue-violet, and violet are next to each other on the color wheel, so she seems to have an analogous color scheme; analogous schemes tend to be the most harmonious (which is a pretty neutral thing to say, not trying to say her scheme is better than the others'.) There's a nice balance of warm and cool coloration in her scheme too, it's great; Radiance's costume has a lot of harmony. Repetition, too, the way the diamond shapes are repeated throughout.

Applejack has a complementary color scheme, so for that reason her costume "pops" the most.

Rainbow has a black and white scheme, allowing for her rainbow mane to be the center of attention; the lightning bolt picks up on the yellow on her hooves and mane.

Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle have pretty average, in my opinion, costumes compared to the others. Pink and that teal sort of green color is common in Fluttershy design, and then for Twilight, her colors seem pretty normal to what she usually has too. Her goggles are enjoyable and I like the way the mask backs the goggles. Gives her a sense of mystery. My favorite part about Twilight's costume is the way her mane is styled.

Lastly, Pinkie Pie. Her costume throws me off... but it's appropriate for the hero she portrays, Fili-Second, a parody of the Flash. The way her mane is styled in combination with the purple and white as a whole... eh, I don't know. Her costume is good... it's certainly not bad... just the weak link in my opinion of the six.

Okay, enough of my inner art critic geeking out over these costumes!

(I geek out everytime the main six get nice new outfits.)

The episode as a whole was very good. A bit stronger than Daring Don't, another action-oriented episode. With what a lot of others said, I agree; best Spike episode since Secret of My Excess. I give this an above-average 8.5/10.

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad Spike got an episode, but this one seemed a little contrived to me.

It introduced into canon the fact that a non-magical pony (or dragon) can use magic in a limited way (requiring the use of a pre-prepared 'scroll', so to speak), which I'm not sure I like.

It had some great parts like with Pinkie Pie running off and coming back with cupcakes, but overall I think this one is the weakest of the season so far.

This episode was sooooo amazing, I loved seeing the mane 6 as superheroes and as a superhero geek I enjoyed seeing them somewhat similar to the Marvel superheroes. I loved seeing them try and adjust to their superpowers and of course Pinkie Pie enjoying going really fast and back and forth. Also dang Fluttershy is really terrifying when she's angry O.o The villain was really funny and crazy, sort of reminded me of the Joker from Batman The Dark Knight, also loved the scenes that showed Spike isn't useless and is just as important. Again amazing episode loved it!! 10/10!!!

I was seeing an even split between Marvel and DC. 

I must admit that I don't hate this episode as much as I was prepared to.

Spike did use his brain, but I expected super-fanboyism to be his superpower.  I imagine that the intended customers would identify more with the heroes, and end up a little less "new superhero" by having thought about what they would do if they had those powers.

I'm glad Spike got an episode, but this one seemed a little contrived to me.

It introduced into canon the fact that a non-magical pony (or dragon) can use magic in a limited way (requiring the use of a pre-prepared 'scroll', so to speak), which I'm not sure I like.

It had some great parts like with Pinkie Pie running off and coming back with cupcakes, but overall I think this one is the weakest of the season so far.

Spike did deserve an episode but I think the whole Enchanted comic book was just an aweful excuse, it would of made so much more sense if spike asked discord to help or if discord got bored and did something random

• Brohoof 1

Ever since I first learned of this episode, I wasn't impressed or excited. They ALREADY have superpowers and have been dealing with monsters & villains since day one. Putting them in colorful tights changes little.

Now that I've seen the episode...I'm still unimpressed. Heck, I found it kinda annoying -_-

Granted, the powers angle was more amusing than I thought it would be, giving them different moves than usual--or at least exaggerating the ones they had--and the scene of them first trying to use them and backfiring was indeed pretty funny. In fact, I had more fun watching Rarity use her power ring than I did in all of the Green Lantern movie! :D And Fluttershy hulking out was funny--though it would've worked better if one of her actual friends had been hurt (like that time in the IDW comic) instead of a random firefly >_>

What hurts the episode is the focus on Spike having sudden complex about being useless. The third act brings up how he's helped out a lot over the series--in a fairly heavy handed fashion, no less--that makes the episode's focus/moral a tad redundant.

But my biggest problem is the Mane-iac. I get that she supposed to be an over-the-top caricature of evil/crazy supervillains, but my Celestia if that laugh (and those mane puns) didn't get old quick! She used that maniacal laugh like it was part each sentence, cackling at the beginning and end of almost every phrase (at least on or the other)...and it was just annoying as buck!  :angry:

I'll admit it wasn't so bad--in fact, it was little better than I thought it would be--but I don't think I'll want to watch it again anytime soon...

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 1

I think people are seriously expecting too much of not only the episode but the show as well. I don't understand why so many people want every episode to be focused instead of having those random silly moments. Did some not watch cartoons from the 80s 90s? You have episodes that move the story forward and you have episodes that are just for giggles that pertain nothing or to very little of the season's storyline as a whole.

So what if they had super powers for one episode and it was a silly comic book that was enchanted that allowed it? Does it effect the quality of the series? No. Does it add anything to the over-all storyline? No. Does it take away from the series? No? Was it a fun little romp meant for KIDS and some older fans who will get the connections? Sure.

I <3 the fandom but really I think people expect too much out of a show made for kids.

• Brohoof 1

Overall, for me, this episode was very "meh". The whole "Spike feels inadequate, but feels better after some temporary, superficial encouragement" thing wasn't terribly engaging, and the repetition of Spike's inadequate feelings throughout the episode got a little old. Also, I'm not a huge follower or fan of superheroes, so that aspect of the episode probably didn't interest me as much as it did for many other people. That being said, I'll just list some of my observations during the episode:

Spike is using an electric lamp in the library? If such things exist, then why have we seen Twilight studying and doing things by candlelight before? Is Twilight a technophobe, or some kind of staunch lighting traditionalist?

Twilight gives Spike a talk about how he needs to go to sleep so that they can do their part and lend a hoof (or claw) in cleaning the castle the next day. But then, after Spike had that talking-to, and knowing that Spike made the effort to come all the way to the castle, Twilight and company really can't find a single thing Spike can do to help clean the enormous castle? Are they afraid Spike is going to revert to "Spike at Your Service" mode and mess everything up?

I couldn't help noticing that when Spike is getting sucked into the comic book, everyone else tries to help get him and the others back out except Pinkie, who makes no effort to help and is totally unconcerned about her friends.

When everyone is blowing around in a high-speed tornado, apparently they can all speak to and hear each other without much effort at all.

Obviously lassoing a tornado is pretty ridiculous, but more than that, the way the tornado was disposed of might have been even more ridiculous. So the tornado is powerful enough to suck most of the characters into it, as well as a lot of other junk, and it's powerful enough that Spike is worried that it'll destroy the city, but to get rid of it, Applejack "closes the top" of the tornado, which builds up pressure and causes it to explode, yet doing this seems to do no harm to the characters or anything else around.

How exactly does the Hairspray Ray of Doom stop the characters? Even though the Mane-iac never targeted Spike specifically with a spray, it was sprayed in Spike's close vicinity, yet he wasn't frozen by it.

I don't see how Spike's tarp contraption could work with only two of the corners in the hook; I think it would need all four corners to be in the hook. It's possible that Spike hooked up the other two corners offscreen, though.

I think it's really ridiculous that Fluttershy "gets mad" because the Mane-iac flicks away a firefly, not even killing it. Fluttershy acts as though doing that is some unthinkable, intentionally evil act of bullying, when in reality, it was most likely just something the Mane-iac did without a second thought or evil intention. Of course, people flick away and kill bugs that are being annoyances all the time, not to mention the countless bugs that die just from people using man-made tools in their everyday lives (e.g. cars). Would Flutterhulk come attack us and destroy our property for these most egregious misdeeds?

Apparently, one of Flutterhulk's powers is to reflect beams with her face.

Finally, I made a topic here regarding my questions about how enchantments in books work in Equestria.