Yellow Diamond

S04:E06 - Power Ponies  

253 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This was an Spike episode right? I just have a question shouldn't Spike wrote his lesson in the diary? And even what was the lesson? I think the lesson its the same as Hurricane Fluttershy...  :okiedokielokie: 

Out of that this episode was 8/10  B)

• Brohoof 1

I think this was the only episode of MLP I genuinely didn't like.  :huh:  Aside from some really funny moments, particularly from Pinkie Pie and Rarity (And Fluttershy at the end), as well as a nice character design for the villain, the episode was kind of boring and didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the show. It just didn't really work for me, at all, and that says a lot coming from me. It might just be my least favorite episode of the entire show. 

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

I think this was the only episode of MLP I genuinely didn't like. Aside from some really funny moments, particularly from Pinkie Pie and Rarity (And Fluttershy at the end), as well as a nice character design for the villain, the episode was kind of boring and didn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the show. It just didn't really work for me, at all.  :huh: It might just be my least favorite episode of the entire show. 

Of the entire show no, the worst of the show its Just For Sidekicks or Owl's Well That Ends Well

Of the entire show no, the worst of the show its Just For Sidekicks or Owl's Well That Ends Well

Those were far from my favorite episodes, but I enjoyed both of them, more so to the latter. Spike episodes in general are rarely at the top of my list, but this episode didn't even seem to flow with the style of the show or fit in at all.

It confused me more than anything. I was also surprised to see that it had three writers... but I guess that might be why it felt like such a mess.

It felt like it was just trying to cram in as many references as possible as opposed to actually tell a good story.

Eh, that's just how I felt, anyway.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sorry everypony. I know I'm gonna appear like that one negative oddball here, but I just didn't like it at all. I was shaking my head in utter disappointment through it all. The plot just didn't flow well, it was extremely predictable, and almost all the costumes and the names were just... meh.

I thought how Pinkie Pie was depicted here was pretty decent, but it was not enough to save the episode from utter failure.  :(

Horrible villain, who I dare say makes Sunset Shimmer look epic. Flutterhulk.... I have no words. I laughed, but it was more so at how ridiculous and outrageously weird that scene was.  :blink:

So yeah... mediocre plot line, terrible terrible hair puns, Flutterhulk, worst villain ever, etc... I can actually make quite a long list here, but I rather not, since it would just leave me feeling more depressed and disappointed than I already am. :P

Rating: 3/10

^This is all just my own personal opinion.

• Brohoof 2

I definitely liked it, but I'm the kind of guy that will like an episode despite any flaws it may have. Although I do have least favorite episodes for sure. Sure, its generic, but I generally loved the references to various superheroes, although I couldn't tell who Twilight was supposed to be. :/

All in all, I'm giving it a 7/10

I'm sorry everypony. I know I'm gonna appear like that one negative oddball here, but I just didn't like it at all. I was shaking my head in utter disappointment through it all. The plot just didn't flow well, it was extremely predictable, and almost all the costumes and the names were just... meh.

I thought how Pinkie Pie was depicted here was pretty decent, but it was not enough to save the episode from utter failure.  :(

Horrible villain, who I dare say makes Sunset Shimmer look epic. Flutterhulk.... I have no words. I laughed, but it was more so at how ridiculous and outrageously weird that scene was.  :blink:

So yeah... mediocre plot line, terrible terrible hair puns, Flutterhulk, worst villain ever, etc... I can actually make quite a long list here, but I rather not, since it would just leave me feeling more depressed and disappointed than I already am. :P

Rating: 3/10

^This is all just my own personal opinion.

I kinda agree with this it was just plain weird for most of then, though I liked raritys outfit and power :P

Flutterhulk was just disturbing imo so many things wrong this that 

the villain was to corny even for a comic in a childrens show XD

and the ending was disapointing

• Brohoof 1

I really loved it.

This episode shouldn't be treated like others. It was intentionally detached from MLP reality to make a great and hilarious parody of the comics superheroes.
And it done it very well.
We had ponies with superpowers and we had great and mad super villain with superpowers. Everything seasoned with action and funny antics.

Rarity received the best superpower, that fit her so much and made her even more fabulous. The materialisation of everything that one can imagine is probably the dream of every person with artistic mind, just like Rarity.
Enhanced Pinkie was so hilarious, I really liked how she was using her superspeed during fights.
Flutterhulk was so predictable but still so funny, especially how her final scene was emphasized when everything went quiet, even music stop playing. Only the reason of her transformation was unconvincing - I don't like the idea that she much more care about some little bug than her friends.
I also liked that Twilight had the most trouble with controlling her powers, it was nice contrast to her being overpowered in true reality.

I'm also very happy that this time the writers didn't go with the same road like in case of the Daring Don't episode and this time everything took place in different reality.
The explanation about this enchanted comic was very poor, but I don't care that much about it anyway. It wasn't that important in this case.

Other good things:
Twilght motherly relationship with Spike
Renovation of the castle.
Spike significant role in defeating main threat.

The main flaw:
The lesson was rather pointless and secondary - didn't Twilight distinctly called Spike once the best and most useful sidekick ever?
If I would analyze this episode deeper I probably would have found a lot flaws. But I enjoyed it so much that I don't wanna do that.

Flutterhulk was so predictable but still so funny, especially how her final scene was emphasized when everything went quiet, even music stop playing. Only the reason of her transformation was unconvincing - I don't like the idea that she much more care about some little bug than her friends.

Well, her friends were super-powered hero ponies, and could take care of themselves. The firefly was an entirely defenseless little creature.

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 1

Man, I couldn't disagree with you more.  I loved the meta commentary on superhero comics, I loved the villain, who was *supposed* to be a stock superhero villain, and all the powers themselves powers themselves perfectly suited the characters.  But at the same time it made sense that they didn't have complete control, because while they matched their abilities, they still weren't used to using them in *that way*.  For instance while AJ has always been great with a lasso, she's never had a telekinetic connection to one. 

I think you're taking the episode a little too seriously.

Related to this point: During the course of this episode, once the Power Ponies were captured, my very trope savvy friend immediately sensed Mane-iac's warehouse would have inexplicable vats of acid -- a staple of 90s superhero cartoons. I'd say that the writing staff hit all the right tropes perfectly.

I don't know why some folks are trying to make sense of the episode's events. As you said, hawkflame, much of the story was a meta commentary. The same holds true largely for "Daring Don't", an episode dedicated to lovingly poking fun at overzealous fandoms and stock action adventure films. Asking how the Power Ponies got their powers or why Mane-iac wants to give everyone a bad hair day borders on missing the point. Mane-iac spent the first act of the episode carrying a MacGuffin ball, for crying out loud! Requesting elaboration is not at all what "Power Ponies" is about.

• Brohoof 2

After rewatching parts of the new episode and seeing random feedback, I must ask.

Is it possible for MLP to make a good Spike episode that isn't a mixed bag for a lot of fans?

• Brohoof 1

After rewatching parts of the new episode and seeing random feedback, I must ask.

Is it possible for MLP to make a good Spike episode that isn't a mixed bag for a lot of fans?

I would say by giving it a ending that didn't end with enchanted comic book store XD that made so little sense to me

Okay, these are already been done in YouTube. Personally, the JLA could be improved on, but that's just me.

Seems like the only thing missing is a Power Ponies video with sound from The Avengers trailer or something like that, and everything is covered...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wd1t1ffMtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMNerge-3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYfU-uwYEc

And that one makes three (can only post two videos per post so, the third is just the link).

Edited by lucasliso

So I just watched the episode again and... I'm pretty sure Rarity killed a pony, that electric sign that she bounced back up at that henchpony sure makes it look that way anyway... :huh:

Anyway, I can understand not liking this episode, like I said in an earlier post this episode doesn't really contribute anything signifigant to the show's canon(other than maybe reaffirming that Twilight is living in Ponyville and showing them restoring the castle), and some elements of the comic book story are a bit disjointed. Still, I think this episode is a fun treat for superhero lovers regardless, and the characters and entertainment value are still great as ever for me. Still 9/10

After rewatching parts of the new episode and seeing random feedback, I must ask. Is it possible for MLP to make a good Spike episode that isn't a mixed bag for a lot of fans?

Hm, I don't know... I'm surprised that everyone doesn't like Dragon Quest actually, probably the best Spike episode besides this one imo. :huh:
  • Brohoof 1

Well, opinions are opinions for a reason. This episode was a nice change of pace for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and after thinking on it, it is my favorite episode of the season so far.

However, I came back to this thread to ask a question...

Renovating the castle? When did this happen? Why? and the more important question...what about the keys?

This supposed season long story arc seems to have been forgotten and replaced with other things such as renovating an old castle...or am I just missing something?

I just watched this episode, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Finally, we get a good Spike episode! Overall, I have to give this one a 9/10, and it's definitely on my top 10 favorite episodes list now!

My three favorite characters in this episode were: 

3. Spike

he's had a few episodes before and he's featured as a supporting character in a lot of episodes so it's not like his character lacks development. It's just that Spike has yet to see a good episode. That is, until 21 December 2013, when this episode aired. It was nice and refreshing to finally see Spike take charge in an episode. As a supporting character, he's kind of a pushover to me, and not the adorable kind like Fluttershy. I never really cared for Spike episodes. But this one...this is the exception. And Spike finally got a great role in this episode. He knew more than anyone else so it was nice to see him take more of a leadership position. I enjoyed what this episode had to offer for him.

2. Fluttershy

I knew Fluttershy was going to activate her power at some point in this episode. Now, how she did it wasn't all that great, but deep down, we all sort of had the feeling that Fluttershy was the Hulk. I mean, her getting pissed over a firefly as kinda meh. But her transformation was great. Andrea Libman did a great job of portraying Fluttershy's anger in that scene, and I loved it. As a Fluttershy fan, I love seeing her get mad. But this episode took the collective wrath of Fluttershy in Dragonshy, The Best Night Ever, Putting Your Hoof Down, and Keep Calm and Flutter On, added it up, squared it, cubed it, then doubled it again and made her into this giant monster. I love seeing her get pissed because it's so out of character for her

1. Pinkie Pie

Is Pinkie Pie still the village idiot? I think not. She was actually my favorite character in this episode. I saw Rainbow Dash getting to be the fast one, but I figure they knew that would be way too obvious so they shook it up a little. It paid off in dividends if you ask me. "There was at least half a second before we got sucked into the comic book and the bakery was only 65 blocks away!" That right there. That's classic Pinkie Pie. I absolutely loved Pinkie Pie in this episode. I mean, take the hyper one and make her the Flash on top of it...I love it!

I was pretty hyped up for this episode and I thought it was great. The idea was super cute and they executed it well. It's not perfect, but it's still great nonetheless. :)

• Brohoof 2

Okay, once again, I skimmed through feedback and decided to toss it all out the window as I go to write my own review.

I neither liked nor disliked this episode.  I simply sat there going "Huh?  Whaaa?  Fhqhwgads?"

I agree with folks who say it was contrived (it was) and a bit preachy (it was), and that it was essentially just another "Spike is the underappreciated sidekick" episode (it was).  But given that it was obviously not meant to be taken seriously, and the plot inside the comic world was about as ridiculous as they come, I think they did a pretty decent job with it.  My main complaint about the episode as a whole is that they bashed us over the head with the moral again at the end, while at the same time it felt like "Okay, let's hurry up and get this over with".

Overall, it looks to me like the studio took a cue from The Tick and decided to just do something completely off the wall.  Every good series needs an episode like that.  I just think it would have been better had it not come right on the heels of the "Daring Do is REAL!" episode - the two of those put together makes things feel REALLY shark-jumpy to me.  I remain weary...

I've been thoroughly disappointed with a few episodes this season (so far)... But this one... I liked it. It still isn't as well written as previous seasons (as well as some other problems), but I enjoyed watching it. There were some very funny bits in there (including Flutterhulk, which was very very weird and scary, and felt a bit fan-service-y, but it still got me to laugh), and that's a good thing.

At least this episode was centered around a new idea, and not just a showcase of characters like the previous episodes seemed to be. That said, the concept, while fun, didn't really fit the show, and is following the trend of fan-pandering and "epicizing" alot of shows are doing, and is straying from the show's original premise; that "little girl" shows didn't have to be bad.

So, here's mah scores... How much I enjoyed it: 7/10 As an episode: 5/10

• Brohoof 2

I kinda liked this episode. It didn't make as big an impact on me, but It wasn't an episode that will be quickly forgotten, but the fact that it was completely filler and that Spike wasn't doing anything to impact the storyline, kinda sucked. Let's hope for Spike to shine a bit more later on.

Didn't read the thread, so forgive me if this question was already answered.

Obviously all the characters are based on established comic book heroes. As far as I can tell:

Pinkie - Flash

Dash - Storm

AJ - The lasso acts like Wonderwomans whip, but that's the only comic similarity I can see

Fluttershy - Hulk (laughed hard at this)

Rarity - Green Lantern

Spike - lolRobin

Mane-iac - Joker with hair power (and there's some obscure Marvel hero with hair control... I think she's like Black Bolt's grandmother, and Black Bolt is pretty obscure himself :P)

But... who is Twilight supposed to be? I mean, there are plenty of people who've used ice, but Spike said she could do other things too (although I don't remember her actually using anything other than ice). Can't think of anybody like that off the top of my head, except maybe Dr. Strange. I don't remember Strange having a preference for ice over other things, though.

Also, Strange is Sorceror Supreme and Twilight is the Element of Magic, so that also makes sense.

Edited by Evilshy