Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Christmas Tradition

Rokkurin

Every single family is different, and that also means they have different traditions when it comes to celebrating Christmas. For my family, all the kids sleep out in the living room where the Christmas tree is in hopes to be awaken by Santa. This has been going on even before I was alive. About 60 years was the last time my father told me.

So, all in all, what is your Christmas tradition?

We all have a nap at the end of the day.

Its true, we all hang out underneath the air con, beers and drinks in hand and bellies full of food. And we all sleep on the couch, its great fun. Sometimes though if you can stop yourself from falling asleep you can play a little longer with your toys or eat the leftovers of the leftovers, but you're bound to sleep by the afternoon.

My husbands family opens presents after dinner Christmas Eve. Apparently, this is a very German thing. Anyways, nobody told me about it, and our 5th date, I went to his house for Christmas Eve, and all I brought was flowers. His whole family gave me presents. I was embarrassed.

Anyways, two Christmases here, one with his family, one with mine. It's like having divorced parents, only better!

We all get up to find out stockings at the end of our beds. We go and empty them in my parents' room, although that's getting old and I dint know how longer that's going to happen.

Then we have croissants for breakfast.

Then we wait till everyone is ready and we will spend the morning opening our presents. :D

Then we either cook or go out for Xmas dinner.

This year, it's going to be different, because my whole family aren't coming to ours for the day. :( but we're then going to their house in the 27th.

I would like to share an experience that i had when I was younger.

It was Christmas Eve and me, my brother and my sister were asleep in the living room of our house. I awake to find that we are all put in the same bed. I hear a noise going on downstairs so I go to investigate. When i got down to the main floor, I could see my dad grabbing presents and setting them under the tree. Confused, i turn towards a window and pull back the blinds to see something very extraordinary, a sleigh. Still confused, I asked my dad what he was doing and all he told me to do was to go back to sleep. I didn't press him and instead listened and went back to bed. But before i did, i looked out the window one more time, only to see the Jolly red man turn to me as he grabbed another present, and winked at me. I didn't think of it at the time because I was young and had just woken up so my brain had no effort in trying to put this all together.

I'm 20 years old now and I will keep this with me no matter what. I believe in Santa to this day from this experience. I know for a fact it wasn't a dream because the next day, i asked my dad what happened and all he replied with was, "The greatest secret in the world"

We would eat, and then the oldest members of the family would light the candles on the christmas tree. Then we would line accordingly to our age, and then we would follow each other inside the living room, dancing around the tree. And finally, my grandfather would sing an old song for us all, as a family tradition. And THEN.. we would open the presents. ^^

Since I grew up, we don't really have any Christmas traditions anymore. We haven't even put up a tree any more than two of the last six or seven years (not really by my choice, as I like having one up).

Before that it was pretty standard, though. We would open up presents on Christmas morning. Sometimes we'd go to church on Christmas Eve night (glad we don't do that one anymore. lol).

I've gotten gifts in the last several years, but they've come like a month before Christmas. lol

One tradition my family is that the "Santa" (person who takes gifts from under the tree and hands them out, one for each individual at a time) is always the "man of the house", or if Dad is for some reason absent than the eldest son (me) fills the role.

We always gather around gifts when we all wake up, but before we can begin with the presents we first have to look through our stockings.

That's what I can think of at the moment.

Christmas Eve

The day of Christmas Eve, I just spend some of the time between when I wake up and dinner with my identical twin sister (Alicorn Fan on here). Last year, we watched Animaniacs on the Hub and my sister played the sequel to Garfield's Defense Force on her phone. This year, we will put gifts underneath the tree, and watch Mumfie's White Christmas on Netflix and a few Christmas Animaniacs episodes on YouTube.  For dinner, we have a seven fishes dinner because we have an Italian heritage. I like to eat flounder, spaghetti and clam sauce, and crab cakes and my sister just likes to eat flounder (She is a bit of a picky eater because she only eats a few foods and mostly eats chicken. She does like steak, though.) Then, we go to our cousin's house and sing Christmas carols. One notable song is The Twelve Days of Christmas, where we are split up into groups and each get a different part. Then, one of our cousins dresses up as Santa and gives gag gifts to everyone (The little kids always get the good gifts, and we usually get 2, one is the gag gift, and one is a gift we got ourselves because we want to get nice gifts. We weren't going to do the "buy your own gifts" this year, until my sister forced me to pick a gift I got (this might also make up for the fact I got an extra gift due to the Madoka Magica movie being cancelled briefly, but then the listing for the movie came back up because they scheduled the movie for the wrong dates. This year, I chose my Chibiusa from Sailor Moon plush and my sister chose powder puff for the Smile Pretty Cure Smile Pact. Last year, I got a Corrector Yui figure. I think my sister got a Pretty Cure necklace and hair accessory set. For the gag gift, my sister got Play Dough you'd get at a dollar store, and I got a flashlight pen. After this, me and my dad go to church for midnight Mass. After this, I go to bed.

Christmas Day

I wake up and open my gifts and then watch the Disney Parks parade on TV. Last year, my dad cooked a turkey for dinner (It reminded me of A Christmas Story, and yes, one year, I did catch it on TV. The turkey is one of the parts I remember of that movie.) Then, we go over to another one of our cousins' houses. Last year, we tried to go, but we were too late due to the turkey dinner.  :(  We are having a steak dinner this year and we will go to our cousin's house to hang out with the others although we won't get any gifts from our cousins. (We usually buy a gift for this, last year, one of the gifts I got was a Sailor Moon plush and my sister got a Yes! Pretty Cure 5 Dream Torch.)

We all get up to find out stockings at the end of our beds. We go and empty them in my parents' room, although that's getting old and I dint know how longer that's going to happen.
Then we have croissants for breakfast.
Then we wait till everyone is ready and we will spend the morning opening our presents.  :D
Then we either cook or go out for Xmas dinner.

This year, it's going to be different, because my whole family aren't coming to ours for the day.  :( but we're then going to their house in the 27th.

I'm hanging one of my stockings this way after seeing Mumfie do the same thing in Mumfie's White Christmas. 

I would like to share an experience that i had when I was younger.

It was Christmas Eve and me, my brother and my sister were asleep in the living room of our house. I awake to find that we are all put in the same bed. I hear a noise going on downstairs so I go to investigate. When i got down to the main floor, I could see my dad grabbing presents and setting them under the tree. Confused, i turn towards a window and pull back the blinds to see something very extraordinary, a sleigh. Still confused, I asked my dad what he was doing and all he told me to do was to go back to sleep. I didn't press him and instead listened and went back to bed. But before i did, i looked out the window one more time, only to see the Jolly red man turn to me as he grabbed another present, and winked at me. I didn't think of it at the time because I was young and had just woken up so my brain had no effort in trying to put this all together.

I'm 20 years old now and I will keep this with me no matter what. I believe in Santa to this day from this experience. I know for a fact it wasn't a dream because the next day, i asked my dad what happened and all he replied with was, "The greatest secret in the world"

Wow! That sounds like an awesome story. It's nice that Santa helped your parents.

Edited by NagisaBebeDemon

Oh nelly, we've got quite a few.  On Christmas Eve, celebrations pretty much begin around 6:00 P.M. when we attend the Christmas Eve service at our church.  After that, when we get back home, we usually munch on all kinds of snacks before proceeding to the tree itself.  There, before we open any presents, we conduct the Christmas pickle tradition, an old German tradition in which a pickle ornament is hung by our mom, and whoever finds it first out of my sister and myself gets to open the first present.  Most years we'll open most presents on Christmas Eve, though this year we're not really doing presents since our Christmas present was pretty much going to Lambeau Field this past weekend to watch the Packers play.  Besides that, we'll keep 24 hours of "A Christmas Story" on TBS on all night and through Christmas Day, keep munching on snacks up until Christmas dinner on Christmas Day (which is usually a ham along with other side dishes), and just really relax for the rest of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, though this Christmas Day I do have to work at Family Video from 4 - 10.