Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Seaweed-Headed Dragon

<================== How do I create a digital version of my OC? I mean, I did draw it but I would like to make a digital version too :P

What software and  hardware do I need? I will get a graphic tablet but in a couple months

How do you guys make your digital art?

(I am really new to this XD)

<================== How do I create a digital version of my OC? I mean, I did draw it but I would like to make a digital version too :P

What software and  hardware do I need? I will get a graphic tablet but in a couple months

How do you guys make your digital art?

(I am really new to this XD)

Programs:

Gimp 2.8

Photoshop

Paint tool sai

Will you need a tablet?

Yes, if you plan to digitally draw or paint your work

No, if you do vectors only

well, since you already got a tablet coming your way, you only need some software.

now i'm no artist, but i know quite a few people use artrage. also, i heared paint.net is a good program to use (and it's free too!) 

but yeah, i'm no artist, so those are the only programs i really know of.

also, you could use photoshop. 

I'll tell you.

You can use vector or brush. There are many art programs one can use to convert traditional to digital.

1: Scan or photo the art.

2: Upload to an art program (Sai, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, Gimp, etc.)

3: Trace using lines or brush. (Using lines or the pen tool as in Illustrator and Photoshop is preferable with a mouse in my opinion.)

4: Color it

5: Save it.

This is what I usually do, you can also go to Youtube and find much, much more detailed guides.

Edit: Tablets are very useful in doing digital art, unless you can perform magic with a mouse.

Edited by Demirari

Photoshop, Gimp, Paint Tool Sai would probably work well but if you want to vectorise it you could always use Inkscape, Ponyscape or Illustrator. Photoshop isn't really designed well to vector properly. Good luck.

If you're wondering what program you should use, you should probably try several different art programs. Different programs obviously do things differently so you should find the one which suits you the most. I use Gimp and Paint tool Sai. I prefer to use Sai for drawing with a tablet, and Gimp for general image manipulation and other stuff without the tablet (like my signature for example).

No, you don't need a tablet. For years, I scanned in images, then colored them. All you need is a photoshop-type program. You just play around with the masks and layers. There are tutorials out there that can teach you how to do this. I don't wanna link you to something because I don't know what program you're gonna be using, but do a search of "how to color a scanned drawing in [your software here]." There are a lot of tutorials.

A little question: Can I use an iPad as a graphic tablet?

I've got Photoshop CS5 and Elements 10

There are guides that you can search up for. However if you do manage to transform your iPad to a tablet, it will not be good as an actual one. Preferably, having an actual tablet is best for digital art if you don't wanna scan or anything.

Well a tablet is not really a must, I mean I've been drawing without a tablet now for quite a long time. However.. I just got a drawing tablet this Christmas and I must say that it helps A LOT. So I would totally go for a tablet.

Then you'll have to own a program to draw in of course. I suggest Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI or Sketchbook PRO.

Then you'll just have to look for some videos on youtube with helpful tips :)

Thank you all for the replies.

Another Question: Should I get a screen tablet or a non-screen tablet? (I'm thinking of the Wacon Intuos Pro Medium or the Wacom Cintiq 13" HD)

If you can afford it then yes, most defiantly! 

Here's what I recommend:

-Wacom tablet (mine was around $60-$80 which isn't that bad)

-Paint Tool Sai (gimp and photoshop are just complicated for me to use, but if you prefer them, go for it) which is $50, I think (might be $60)

And that's all I use.  You can download textures and stuff for backgrounds/fur/etc. for your pictures, but those are free.