Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

List of Episodes focusing on 2 characters

Will Guide

Edit: This is currently being reconstructed to account for up through Season 5. Some of the episode choices are outdated.

Throughout this show, I've noticed there were and are several episodes that either focuses between two main characters or show ample interactions between them .

I have complied a list of at least one episode that I believed best focuses on any two given main character. They need to be major characters in the plot.  (Episode Title in bold), 

If they were not the focus, but still had ample interactions, the Episode Title will be plain text.  

If it's an episode that focuses on everyone like Return of Harmony, the Pilot, or Castle Mania, I wouldn't count it, unless I can't find any good single episode. Hopefully in Season 5, there will be focus between two ponies that hasn't been focus on.

In the case of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, I'll list the episodes where each individual member has a day in the limelight.

• Twilight Sparkle:
    • Rainbow Dash: Testing Testing, 1, 2, 3
    • Pinkie Pie: Feeling Pinkie Keen
    • Rarity: Sweet and Elite
    • Applejack: Applebuck Season
    • Fluttershy: A Bird in the Hoof

• RD:
    • PP: Griffon the Brush-off
    • RT: Sonic Rainboom
    • AJ: Fall Weather Friends
    • FS: Hurricane Fluttershy

• PP:
    • RT: Putting Your Hoof Down
    • AJ: Pinkie Apple Pie
    • FS: Putting Your Hoof Down

• RT:
    • AJ: Look Before You Sleep
    • FS: Green Isn't Your Color

• AJ:
    • FS: Bats!

• Spike:
    • TS: Owl's Well That Ends Well
    • RD: Dragon Quest
    • PP: Fall Weather Friends
    • RT: Secret of my Excess
    • AJ: Spike at Your Service
    • FS: Friendship is Magic pt.1
    • CMC: Just for Sidekicks

• CMC:
    • Applebloom: Call of the Cutie, Cutie-Pox
    • Sweetie Bell: Sisterhooves Social, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls
    • Scootaloo: Sleepless in Ponyville, Flight to the Finish

So there's my list of 2-character focus episodes. If anyone has better suggestions, let me know.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

A few of these actually seem a little desperate

• Twilight Sparkle:
    • Rainbow Dash: Read it and Weep
    • Pinkie Pie: Feeling Pinkie Keen
    • Rarity: Sweet and Elite
    • Applejack: Applebuck Season
    • Fluttershy: A Bird in the Hoof

Read it and Weep - Twilight was hardly in it, all she did was give RD the book at the beginning . Daring Don't is probably a better example of a RD and Twilight episode and even that's stretching it

Sweet and Elite - The only thing important about Twilight was that it was her birthday, but she wasn't important to the episode as a whole. 

• RD:
    • PP: Griffon the Brush-off
    • RT: Sonic Rainboom
    • AJ: Fall Weather Friends
    • FS: Hurricane Fluttershy

Sonic Rainboom - Debatable, Rarity had some big focus, but it was mainly Rainbow Dash

• PP:
    • RT: Putting Your Hoof Down
    • AJ: Pinkie Apple Pie
    • FS: Putting Your Hoof Down

Putting Your Hoof Down - Debatable, it was mainly Fluttershy, even though Rarity and Pinkie had a lot of presence

• Spike:
    • TS: Owl's Well That Ends Well
    • RD: Mysterious Mare Do-Well
    • PP: Fall Weather Friends
    • RT: Secret of my Excess
    • AJ: Spike at Your Service
    • FS: (can't find one focusing between these two)
    • CMC: Just for Sidekicks

Spike was completely irrelevant in Fall Weather Friends and The Mysterious Mare Do Well

Same as Putting your Hoof DownJust for Sidekicks is debatable, the CMC tagged along, but it was mainly Spike

• Brohoof 2

Read it and Weep - Twilight was hardly in it, all she did was give RD the book at the beginning . Daring Don't is probably a better example of a RD and Twilight episode and even that's stretching it

Sweet and Elite - The only thing important about Twilight was that it was her birthday, but she wasn't important to the episode as a whole. 

Sonic Rainboom - Debatable, Rarity had some big focus, but it was mainly Rainbow Dash

Putting Your Hoof Down - Debatable, it was mainly Fluttershy, even though Rarity and Pinkie had a lot of presence

Spike was completely irrelevant in Fall Weather Friends and The Mysterious Mare Do Well

Same as Putting your Hoof DownJust for Sidekicks is debatable, the CMC tagged along, but it was mainly Spike

Thanks for the comments. I did my personal best and am always awaiting better suggestions. 

Personally, the way I determine episode focus is who is the one driving the story forward? It's not about who gets a lot of attention or who is in the episode a lot, but who is at the core of the conflict. And thus the only ones I consider to have dual focus:

Griffon the Brush off (Pinkie and Dash)

Look Before You Sleep (Rarity and Applejack)

Fall Weather Friends (Aj and Dash)

Feeling Pinkie Keen (Pinkie and Twilight)

Stare Master (Fluttershy and the CMC)

Green isn't your color (Rarity and Fluttershy)

A Bird in the Hoof (Twilight and Fluttershy)

Sisterhooves Social (Rarity and Sweetie Belle)

MMMMystery on the Friendship Express (Twilight and Pinkie)

Spike at Your Service (Spike and Applejack)

Bats (Fluttershy and Applejack)

• Brohoof 2

Actually I thought Rarity and Twilight's interaction in Sweet and Elite was quite significant... in that there wasn't a big conflict, despite Rarity's behavior warranting it (and her knowing it). Twilight is sweet, indeed ;)

Read it and Weep definitely strikes me as Rainbow and Twilight's episode, even if they didn't interact much directly. It was more an interaction of their ideologies. I guess the others chiming in about reading being fun kind of waters down the purity of it, but I still get the feeling Rainbow equates books with Twilight.

I agree on the rest of your list, though. Sonic Rainboom is the closest we've gotten to Rarity/Rainbow, but their interaction was even more indirect than RiaW. Though Rarity's determination to help her at the start is quite touching :)

Putting Your Hoof Down feels like pure Fluttershy, with Rarity and Pinkie just there as supporting characters to advance the plot. So for me, we still need Rarity/Rainbow, Rarity/Pinkie, Fluttershy/Pinkie, and a few Spike combos. And a few pairs have been done multiple times... Twilight/Pinkie also have the cake detective episode, and Twilight/Spike have Crystal Empire.

Here's a more detailed listing for the CMC as individual characters...

Apple Bloom:

Zecora in Cutie Pox

Granny Smith in Family appreciation Day 

Babs Seed in Apple Family Reunion (although the episode overall was more AJ/Granny, or pure AJ)

Sweetie Belle

Rarity in Sisterhooves Social

Scootaloo:

Rainbow Dash in Sleepless in Ponyville

So.. Apple Bloom gets too much attention. Although the 3 of them do a good job of sharing the spotlight in most of their episodes, and Scootaloo finally stole the spotlight for herself in Flight to the Finish. Which means, Sweetie Belle is due for a starring role :D I'm pretty sure my pancreas will be spent by the end of it :squee: I hope it focuses on her learning magic, and perhaps discovering a special unique spell like Rarity's gem finder.