Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkiepieness

So I'm soooo close to being finished with my Vinyl Scratch/DJ Pon-3 cosplay. I just need to know how to make the horn. I know air drying modeling clay would work but I don't know how to form it without it being lopsided or the spiral not looking right.

Any tips?

Thanks!!!!

• Brohoof 1

I would try something alone the lines of... shoot, what's it called... Flex Foam? Or some kind of foam that you can mold when you heat it up.

Modelling clay would probably be WAY too heavy @___@

• Brohoof 1

I would try something alone the lines of... shoot, what's it called... Flex Foam? Or some kind of foam that you can mold when you heat it up.

Modelling clay would probably be WAY too heavy @___@

Do you know where I could get this stuff? And what kind of mold would I use?

Do you know where I could get this stuff? And what kind of mold would I use?

I've mostly only ever seen it online O:  And you wouldn't use a mold, you WOULD mold :D Use your hands to shape it to your desired length and size and shape! It's what a lot of cosplayers use to make armour and stuff C: I think it's actually called Wonderflex foam... Basically, you use a hair dryer or something to heat it up and it becomes flexible enough to shape it :D Then you just... make the shape you want and let it cool XD

Or you could use regular foam. This you can probably find at any fabric store in your area. Instead of molding, you just carve it then paint it or something O: Though I think the Wonderflex would better suit your need

• Brohoof 2

I've mostly only ever seen it online O:  And you wouldn't use a mold, you WOULD mold :D Use your hands to shape it to your desired length and size and shape! It's what a lot of cosplayers use to make armour and stuff C: I think it's actually called Wonderflex foam... Basically, you use a hair dryer or something to heat it up and it becomes flexible enough to shape it :D Then you just... make the shape you want and let it cool XD

Or you could use regular foam. This you can probably find at any fabric store in your area. Instead of molding, you just carve it then paint it or something O: Though I think the Wonderflex would better suit your need

Thanks ^.^ I appreciate your help!! You just made my job easier :D

• Brohoof 1

We'd like to see it when you're finished by the way ^^

I'll show it when I'm done :) The only thing I need to work on is my midi controller for her (So I can take music wherever I go), my horn, and my ears. I ran out of fabric for my ears :(

What about an ice cream cone?

3232.jpg

Haha! I'd be that person XD

It's an idea, but if Wonderflex/Worbla is out of your price range, you can stick with traditional methods such as Molding Wiremesh, Papermache, and of course good 'ol fashioned cardboard. 

I won't lie though, I'm not sure how these will hold up once you're out and about. If you have the time and resources, I'd suggest making several prototypes and find out what works best for you.

• Brohoof 2

Why not try Model Magic? It's very light and easy to fix if it breaks (some clays won't take to glue) and fairly cheap. It's light enough that it would take to a plastic hair band quite well without it falling over (you could sculpt the horn around it if that makes sense). As for sculpting, all I can say is just keep trying till you think it looks right.

• Brohoof 3

It's an idea, but if Wonderflex/Worbla is out of your price range, you can stick with traditional methods such as Molding Wiremesh, Papermache, and of course good 'ol fashioned cardboard. 

I won't lie though, I'm not sure how these will hold up once you're out and about. If you have the time and resources, I'd suggest making several prototypes and find out what works best for you.

I've thought about buying Wonderflex but then I looked at the price and that it comes in only one size D: I wouldn't use that much so I think Wonderflex is out of the question. Though, I did google some other options and I'm going to try them all before I figure out which one I like best. I just don't want to look retarded going to a convention and having my horn fall of or crooked.

Why not try Model Magic? It's very light and easy to fix if it breaks (some clays won't take to glue) and fairly cheap. It's light enough that it would take to a plastic hair band quite well without it falling over (you could sculpt the horn around it if that makes sense). As for sculpting, all I can say is just keep trying till you think it looks right.

Never heard of model magic but I shall look into it! :D As long as I don't have to bake it.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I know a lot of people who use craft foam, it's light and super durable. It's most popular with people who use armor or mecha costumes. It's also popular for props, like staffs, bows, guns, ect... I'd say that's a sure bet.

As for purchasing, a lot of all purpose craft stores carry it... the one that comes to mind in the USA is Michael's. I know it's definetly available online through Amazon.

Also, this is a very good resource for cosplay and tutorials (If you don't already know it, lol)

http://www.cosplaytutorial.com/

There's literally 20+ different tutorials from peoples experiences, and knowledge.

Good luck, I hope it turns out well!

Edited by Shimmerlicious