Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Older gens

Everleaf

I don't know about the category i put this in since i could not find any more fitting anyway what do you guys think of the other generations of My little pony and what order would you put best to worst (me)

Gen4 (yeah know how this one goes :D

Gen1 awesome awesome awesome took risks and had good writing being fairly dark at parts show stuff

Gen2 (the show which was going to be aired sounded good and the toys were beautiful)

gen3 (not bad but really they dropped down from that gen

gen3.5 no offence but no just no sorry but no i just don't like it...

What do you bronies think about the other gens and please pick best to worst of the gens thank you :3

• Brohoof 1

Are we talking toy or cartoon? Or overall?

If we're talking toy:

G1

G3/G3.5

G4

G2

If we're talking cartoon

G4

G1

G3/G3.5

G2 didn't have a cartoon.

Well G2 i heard WAS going to have a cartoon but it was never aired but not to sure

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

So it's been moved if you could? i was not sure where to put it so i would  be happy if it was put in the right place

Are we talking toy or cartoon? Or overall?

If we're talking toy:

G1

G3/G3.5

G4

G2

If we're talking cartoon

G4

G1

G3/G3.5

I meant both toys and cartoons and gen2 i heard WAS going to have a cartoon and i've also got the game if it which gives thema fair bit of personality and the toys to me are beautiful...

Indeed, most people confuse the second show as THE G2 cartoon, while actually, it was still G1, it was released before the G2 toyline. 

I can't speak about older gens, since I've never watched any other pony show apart of FiM. I might give a try the first one for being surprisingly dark, but I might find it cheezy for being too old

Indeed, most people confuse the second show as THE G2 cartoon, while actually, it was still G1, it was released before the G2 toyline.

I can't speak about older gens, since I've never watched any other pony show apart of FiM. I might give a try the first one for being surprisingly dark, but I might find it cheezy for being too old

I guess some people must be calling Tales G2 because maybe they only pay attention to the cartoon instead of paying attention to the whole brand of My little Pony.

I think most people who have been into MLP for a long time go by the toy because it originated the brand, the toy was in existence before any cartoon ever existed. So I think that is why most consider it as a whole, not just the cartoon.

Actually G1 ponies were still being produced outside the USA even after they'd stopped selling them here in the USA. You couldn't get the MLP tale character toys inside the USA. I myself never even knew about tales or the toys produced outside the USA till I got online back in 96-7ish.

Even with the G2 toy line it also continued to be produced outside of the USA after they stopped selling them here.

It kind of makes it harder as a collector but then again there were some G1 ponies that were not sold outside the USA so it kinda evens out, but generally the ponies that were never sold inside the USA are valued more, thus you end up paying more when you're hunting for non usa ponies.

Edited by KarentheUnicorn

1) G4

2) MLP Tales- I think this is an unappreciated cartoon, it ain’t as good as G4 or anything but I don’t think it’s as bad as some say, infact I quite like some of the episodes I've seen

3) MLP G1: This was like an old school version of G4, flawed but ok

4) MLP G3: Not so good BUT! this show wasn’t intended for anyone not a 5 year old girl, which is why I don't like it and also why I think it’s utterly silly and childish that bronys constantly troll and hate on this generation

MLP: G3.5 same opinion as G3 

I guess some people must be calling Tales G2 because maybe they only pay attention to the cartoon instead of paying attention to the whole brand of My little Pony.

I think most people who have been into MLP for a long time go by the toy because it originated the brand, the toy was in existence before any cartoon ever existed. So I think that is why most consider it as a whole, not just the cartoon.

Actually G1 ponies were still being produced outside the USA even after they'd stopped selling them here in the USA. You couldn't get the MLP tale character toys inside the USA. I myself never even knew about tales or the toys produced outside the USA till I got online back in 96-7ish.

Even with the G2 toy line it also continued to be produced outside of the USA after they stopped selling them here.

It kind of makes it harder as a collector but then again there were some G1 ponies that were not sold outside the USA so it kinda evens out, but generally the ponies that were never sold inside the USA are valued more, thus you end up paying more when you're hunting for non usa ponies.

that explains much, like why most of G2 commercials in youtube are in foreign languages. Funny note, Twily's father is fan named after a G1 (I think) stallion produced outside the US, hell, I don't even know of any previous gen stallions in any toyline  

that explains much, like why most of G2 commercials in youtube are in foreign languages. Funny note, Twily's father is fan named after a G1 (I think) stallion produced outside the US, hell, I don't even know of any previous gen stallions in any toyline  

hum, it might be her mother or possibly both. In the original G1, the first set of unicorns and pegasus ponies, there is a unicorn named Twilight. Her body color  is a light pink, she has purple stars as her symbol/cutiemark - her hair is white with a purple streak. The only pony I can think of that looks similar to Twilight Sparkles father is Nightlight, but it's a female rainbow pony. Nightlight was not sold in the USA. She has a blue body with multicolor hair and moon and star symbol/cutie marke. Here are images I found online of the two:

twilight-lykke.jpg

$_35.JPG

G1 had male ponies. :)

In the USA we had the Big Brother Ponies, the original first boy ever produced in G1 is Lucky the stallion. He was a mail order baby pony. With G1, on the toy package there were points. You could save them up, mail them in and get special ponies from hasbro.

Now, G1's very first mail order pony was Baby Ember, you could get this pony in 3 different colors. one of the colors was blue body/blue hair. This particular Ember was my first baby pony and I always considered that one a boy, even though hasbro identifies all ponies as girls till Lucky.

The first store sold male ponies were the Big Brother ponies, they were sold around 1986-7ish. The original set consisted of 6 - which a lot of the G1 ponies were introduced as 6 ponies per whatever set was being created for that year. A few sets had more some had less. The second set of Big Brothers had I think 3 new characters, if I remember rightly. Then there were baby boys sold in a set at some point.

Outside the USA they had mountain boy ponies.

There was also some sets in G1 sold in family sets - there was a mommy, daddy and baby(s)

Male ponies in the G1 have a certain look to them, I found a picture online to a good image of them since I don't have pics of mine online, so I'll add it below

SDC10766.jpg

Edited by KarentheUnicorn

Haven't seen G1 but hear it's good.  Pretty much the archetype for G4.

Haven't seen My Little Pony tales either, but have seen reviews and footage from it and it's doesn't look good at all. They pretty much took MLP, stripped away the fantasy aspects, and turned it into a middle school drama. Our world, same jobs, buildings and institutions, but with ponies. Think EQG, if it didn't have any magic, and was a lot more cynical. 

G3 is the only 1 of the 4 previous gens that I've seen. Obviously doesn't compare to G4 but then again what does? But for what its worth, G3 does return back to the fantasy concept, has good animation, decent voice acting and a nice musical score. Doesn't do much with character depth or narrative, pretty simplistic actually. But I still enjoyed it. It entertainment the peaceful, youthful, fun loving, fantasy & imagination driven portion of my brain. 

G3.5 Other than the negative feedback already demonstrated, I cant really comment

• 7 years later...