Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Can video games predict our future?

Jon the VGNerd

Now, after watching this video, I always thought it to be fake at first, but slowly but surely, it's all becoming too good to be true, like Homefront, for example, where the Great leader died in 2012, but in reality, he died in 2011, way before he even reaches that date.  :o

What are your opinions on whether video games predict our future or now? Of course, you'd say it'd be fake like I mentioned, but even so, it's slowly coming true, to be quite honest.  :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the game. If you ask me, video games can predict our future whether the setting of the story is set in the future or if there is a scene in the game that is a symbol of foreshadowing of what's to come next. However, if you want to believe if they can predict the future go ahead since there is some evidence of that.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

Well I know that in Chrono Trigger, for a game/anime of it's time... It is VERY accurate time travel, There are a few games that have shown signs like homefront. Other than the "Actual" future... A few games have pretty much shown me mine. Weither it's getting killed by a foot injury in the game, to obtaining one not even five minutes later...  or etc... >_>

It depends on what you are talking about by "predict".
Maybe if you mean how society is in the future (the standpoint of our technology, or what weapons we use, what our behavior is like, etc.) then MAYBE they can.

I love video games and I think I've played them long enough to believe some can actually predict the standpoint of mankind in the future,

Edited by PINKIEirific

I remember the original Deus Ex. being based in New York, this game was made in the late 90's but in a shot with the NYC skyline, the twin towers were removed, due to too much data coding. however, they explained that in the game, a few years earlier, the twin towers were destroyed in a terrorist attack. a few years later, 9/11 happened

• Brohoof 2

I won't cite examples because I'm lazy, but there's plenty of precedent for fiction predicting the future, whether it's through cleverness/foresight on the part of the author or just plain eerie coincidence. Video games are just another form of fiction, therefore I see no reason why they'd be excluded from this. So I say yay.

I believe so. There is a pattern among several games, that I personally predict to be an extremely accurate timeline of our future, Similar to Matthew Patrick's from Game Theory, but not the same.

We start only 7 years from now, in about 2021, The Chinese and us go to war, for reasons regarding trade. This is predicted by Battlefield 4, only one year off.

After this, we develop things like Plasma weaponry, Gauss weaponry (The US is ALREADY making a Gauss Cannon for naval purposes). Slip-space drives, and we will find another habitable planet. This is predicted by Halo's Harvest.

An apocalypse. Likely caused by a powerful worldwide organization of the most powerful people in the world. THIS EXISTS. http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-true-story-of-the-bilderberg-group-and-what-they-may-be-planning-now/13808

Coincides with Fallout, only a few years earlier, or I predict. The nation will have an extremely slow recovery, it takes a little more than 200 years for the land to just be hospitable enough for development. The old government forms a military force (the Enclave of Fallout), and vagrants of the land form a sort of brotherhood (Brotherhood of Steel) to suppress governmental control.

The brotherhood wins, and the government was forced to restore the land (more extreme version of Fallout 3's ending)

In about 200-250 years after the recovery , we would meet hostile alien life, and go to war to save Earth. In this period, another planet is found. But, the ship crash lands into the planet's landscape. The aliens would annihilate both of the inhabited planets (before the most recent). (Halo) The last planet of humanity would thrive, but would go crazy, over alien life that was on the planet when the ship arrived. (Borderlands).

Humanity's fate is locked in an Ice Age that occurs soon after (Borderlands 2, well sort of)...

• Brohoof 2

It's an interesting concept, but I think you can also add film's in there as well.

Many attempt to predict the future, but I think it's important to remember that for the 1 or 2 games that will, there will be many that don't!

The MGS series did a freakishly good prediction of the governments recent actions, especially when it comes to controlling the internet

• Brohoof 3

The MGS series did a freakishly good prediction of the governments recent actions, especially when it comes to controlling the internet

My thoughts exactly, even if I haven't played MGS lately.

Could you elaborate? Are you talking about MGS4?

MGS2, mainly the part where EE explains GW and how the Patriots want to censor the internet

• Brohoof 1

I remember the original Deus Ex. being based in New York, this game was made in the late 90's but in a shot with the NYC skyline, the twin towers were removed, due to too much data coding. however, they explained that in the game, a few years earlier, the twin towers were destroyed in a terrorist attack. a few years later, 9/11 happened

Johnny Bravo predicted 9/11 too.

But anyway...Video games predict the future? No moreso than any random sideshow psychic spouting coincidence and vague ambiguities. Fiction is bound to inevitably "predict" the future as fiction is constantly spinning scenarios to create and maintain more fiction. There's gonna be a few dead-center hits eventually.

The Truman Show predicted reality TV. Star Trek predicted cell phones and smartphones. A number of games also predicted cell phones. Deus Ex predicted 9/11. South Park predicted the modern hipster. These aren't real predictions so much as amusing coincidence.

Why limit it just to video games? Pretty much all media can, in a way, "predict" the future. To me, it just seems like a crapshoot where the writer just goes where his or her imagination leads them to, and is guided by past or modern political events. However, it is pretty freaky how coincidental these mere "crapshoots" can be, like take Fahrenheit 451 for example, how it portrayed society as a bunch of mindless, book-hating, technology loving droolies, and look at society today. Coincidence? Probably. Freaky? Definitely.

Edited by Red Shaylon
  • Brohoof 1