S04:E13 - Simple Ways  

325 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This episode was one of those rare episodes where I feel like I should have deep insights on it, but it just makes me laugh so hard that I can't think of anything insightful to say about it.  I think it was just a fun episode, and while sure there are the obvious issues people will take with any pairings introduced by the show, I really loved it.

Plus on a personal note, this episode was timely for me because I just had a bit of a messy break up which was in a small part due to some of the issues this episode talked about, so it kind of made me feel better about some decisions I personally made.  Honestly the timeliness of it is probably what made it so I have no meaningful insight on it, but yeah. :D

Edited by Simon
  • Brohoof 1

It wasn't bad, but an episode where some of the (two in this case) ponies argue over boys.

Why.

Also, jeez the writers really hate Spike. He was fine in the episode, and pretty cool, but cmon. That's just mean.

(Why is every single character they try to introduce as a love interest in this show a giant douche anyways, Blueblood, Trenderhoof, Flash Sentry)

Edited by Hell Patrol

Trenderhoof, Flash Sentry

Why was Trender a douche? He didn't do anything bad toward Rarity. He was simply oblivious to Rarity's approaches, and that can happen to anyone.

And why was Flash Sentry a douche? Seems like people will call anyone a douche if they don't like them even if they didn't do anything to deserve it.

Why was Trender a douche? He didn't do anything bad toward Rarity. He was simply oblivious to Rarity's approaches, and that can happen to anyone.

And why was Flash Sentry a douche? Seems like people will call anyone a douche if they don't like them even if they didn't do anything to deserve it.

Trenderhoof is a douche because he's just generally a hipster moron.

Jimmy Rockbody is a douche because he's literally a pretty boy idiot who might as well be a walking leather jacket.

At least Trenderhoof isn't a marketing ploy to wet the panties of 13 year old girls, at least I'd hope not.

Let's also be real. What person in real life have you met who looks and acts like either Hipsterhoof of Sanic Jacket who isn't a douche?

Edited by Hell Patrol
  • Brohoof 1

Wonderful, ANOTHER Applejack episode. *Groan*

Don't get me wrong, I like Applejack. But this season might as well be called:

Applejack Season: Season of Applejack.

Ugh... seriously? o_o So far she has only 3 episodes and all of them she shared with another character. Rarity has two, Rainbow 3 and Pinkie 2 and it's possible that they all will have at least one more. Twilight has 3 and she'll get another soon. Actually, it looks like the amount of episodes about every character will be rather fair in this season.

Edited by Anilewe

Actually, it looks like the amount of episodes about every character will be rather fair in this season.
Exactly... Applejack and Rarity haven't been getting shafted all season like they usually are, so it seems like they're getting more than their fair share of episodes xD

Honestly though I love the fact that AJ and Rarity are getting some real screen time... their past episodes were too few and far between, and I like that we're starting to see them get more quality character development.

• Brohoof 2

I do not like the whole crush thing which is prevalent in this episode honestly. Rarity is just acting like an immature stereotypical teenage girl.

This is definitely the worst Rarity/Applejack episode and the worst episode for the season in general in my opinion.

Edited by MorningFlash
  • Brohoof 2

I thought this episode was interesting and I actually loved the lesson at the end. However, how Hasbro executed the topic was a bit iffy   . I felt that maybe the topic was not carefully chosen. But I have to admit it was very entertaining to see Rarity and Apple Jack "switch" places 

SPIOLERS ish ( just in case)

Sorry to anyone who loves this episode, and may I make clear THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, and is no way an interpretation, or an explanation of facts.

I thought this episode was only 'meh'

The main body of the episode was about 1:30 mins long, where aj and rarity swap roles essentially, and after rarity going completely against everything she ever was, like messing up her mane, she still seemed to care about fashion, even while wearing what she was.

Then trender hoof just completely gave up on his love for almost no reason!

Does anyone think that they could have done the whole thing a little better?

Ps:

-she still manipulates spike horribly

- "do you know how it feels to love somepony, and they love somepony else?"

Spikes face was like :/

Spike was the most mature and reasonable person in the entire episode.

Spike is in the same situation as Rarity, yet he doesn't act like a total idiot like she does. Instead he handles it respectfully and is being himself. Kudos to the writers for giving us one of the best Spike performances in the entire series.

• Brohoof 1

That's pretty much saying she should've been flawless, though.

Seriously, tell me what would've made a better episode: Her giving more attention to the Ceremony and doing what is right, or the way it actually was? 

Smells like a G3 storyline to me, if you want the former.

Furthermore, she was not in the right state of mind; the sort of feelings she was feeling for that piece of blonde-haired doo-doo is enough to drive even the strongest pony into be irrational and illogical; it was only justified in her case because it was a celebrity crush, which seem to garner that sort of response she gave to Trenderhoof quite often (Justin Bieber, One Direction, that crap.), rather than what Trenderhoof did to AJ, which was overall just creepy because it was realistic and AJ isn't a celebrity.

I've been thinking about this and I see now why I'm more upset with Rarity than Trend. The thing about Trend is that he appeared to be legit in his admiration and attraction to Applejack and her 'down on the farm' lifestyle. It's too bad we didn't get some backstory on him like we did with Cheese, but based on what he said about the farm before seeing AJ, I think it's safe to assume he really did like AJ for who she is. Rarity on the other hand does not like the country life. She was definitely pretending to be someone she's not in order to impress someone else.

At least from my perspective Trend wasn't really being all that bad. He seemed to legitimately like Applejack and tried to learn more about her and flirted with her for a little while. Not to say he's completely innocent. He was ignoring Rarity, and wasn't taking any of AJ's hints that she wasn't interested. Though at the end when they explained the situation, Trender backed off.

Would he have actually liked the farm life? Was he serious about wanting to ditch his fashion lifestyle and adopt a new country one? Had he always secretly longed for a simpler life, or was he just temporarily entranced? We do not know, so it's still hard to pin down his behavior. We know plenty about Rarity, and she was acting pretty bad. I'm not saying Rarity needs to be flawless, just that Trender might not not have been lying like she was, so I don't think we should be too hard on the guy.

• Brohoof 1

I've been thinking about this and I see now why I'm more upset with Rarity than Trend. The thing about Trend is that he appeared to be legit in his admiration and attraction to Applejack and her 'down on the farm' lifestyle. It's too bad we didn't get some backstory on him like we did with Cheese, but based on what he said about the farm before seeing AJ, I think it's safe to assume he really did like AJ for who she is. Rarity on the other hand does not like the country life. She was definitely pretending to be someone she's not in order to impress someone else.

At least from my perspective Trend wasn't really being all that bad. He seemed to legitimately like Applejack and tried to learn more about her and flirted with her for a little while. Not to say he's completely innocent. He was ignoring Rarity, and wasn't taking any of AJ's hints that she wasn't interested. Though at the end when they explained the situation, Trender backed off.

Would he have actually liked the farm life? Was he serious about wanting to ditch his fashion lifestyle and adopt a new country one? Had he always secretly longed for a simpler life, or was he just temporarily entranced? We do not know, so it's still hard to pin down his behavior. We know plenty about Rarity, and she was acting pretty bad. I'm not saying Rarity needs to be flawless, just that Trender might not not have been lying like she was, so I don't think we should be too hard on the guy.

I'm on my phone, so pardon any mistakes.

While Render Hoof's crush on AJ was legit, he handled it in a way that affected AJ negatively, hiding in a Chicken Coop, etc.

Also, while Rarity's was shallow, I don't know too many Celebrity crushes that aren't.

Also, Trend can be accredited to Rarity acting like she did. While she can be over the top, she doesn't go that far. She's a drama queen, but not crazy. You saw all of the hurt expressions she wore, and that was all due to Trenderhoof treating her like she did.

Trenderhoof's obliviousness and general apathy to Rarity is what created so much tension in this episode and ended up harming those around him.

So, I think we should be hard on that guy; very hard.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

I'm having a little trouble getting my thoughts together on this episode.  On the one hand, Trenderhoof is so bland that I long for Flash Sentry to punch him in the face.  Oh the other hand "hilbilly Rarity" and "Apple Jewel" are frickin' hilarious.  Is it a good episode with a major flaw, or a bad episode that manages to be entertaining?  I'm going to need time to collect my thoughts on the matter before I render my verdict.

Wonderful, ANOTHER Applejack episode. *Groan*

Don't get me wrong, I like Applejack. But this season might as well be called:

Applejack Season: Season of Applejack.

That's how I feel about Rainbow Dash and this season.

Well...it seems people waited until I was gone to let the bashing begin...

Huh. *Turns on fighting music*

SPIOLERS ish ( just in case)

Sorry to anyone who loves this episode, and may I make clear THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, and is no way an interpretation, or an explanation of facts.

I thought this episode was only 'meh'

The main body of the episode was about 1:30 mins long, where aj and rarity swap roles essentially, and after rarity going completely against everything she ever was, like messing up her mane, she still seemed to care about fashion, even while wearing what she was.

Then trender hoof just completely gave up on his love for almost no reason!

Does anyone think that they could have done the whole thing a little better?

Ps:

-she still manipulates spike horribly

- "do you know how it feels to love somepony, and they love somepony else?"

Spikes face was like :/

Spike is still a child, so until he gets older, that crush should be taken lightly by Rarity, because statutory rape is probably illegal in Equestria, definitely would be frowned upon.

Also, I'm tired of seeing "manipulates" and "abuse" when it comes to Rarity's treatment of Spike.

First, while she definitely could stand to improve, "abuse" and "manipulates" are things she does not do and does not consciously do, respectively.

Spike can easily say no if he felt he was being abused, but, of course, he doesn't; he's also stated several times he enjoys helping Rarity, and that's proven by volunteering himself as a pincushion, taking out her garbage, etc.; he's not being abused simply because A.) he wants to do it by his own will and B.) I don't see too many people get abused with a smile on their face unless you're into that sort of thing.

Rarity could definitely stand to improve her treatment of Spike, but it's something that is made out to be much worse than it really is by the fandom, and it's gone to being nothing but a petty gripe in my eyes.

I do not like the whole crush thing which is prevalent in this episode honestly. Rarity is just acting like an immature stereotypical teenage girl.

This is definitely the worst Rarity/Applejack episode and the worst episode for the season in general in my opinion.

I'm just pointing this out for PR purposes.

People seem to think I defend Rarity whenever something bad is said about her, but this right here proves that isn't the case. She was acting like a stereotypical teenage girl, and this guy provided fair criticism that wasn't hostile in the slightest.

Good job, man.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

Spike is still a child, so until he gets older, that crush should be taken lightly by Rarity, because statutory rape is probably illegal in Equestria, definitely would be frowned upon.

Also, I'm tired of seeing "manipulates" and "abuse" when it comes to Rarity's treatment of Spike.

First, while she definitely could stand to improve, "abuse" and "manipulates" are things she does not do and does not consciously do, respectively.

Spike can easily say no if he felt he was being abused, but, of course, he doesn't; he's also stated several times he enjoys helping Rarity, and that's proven by volunteering himself as a pincushion, taking out her garbage, etc.; he's not being abused simply because A.) he wants to do it by his own will and B.) I don't see too many people get abused with a smile on their face unless you're into that sort of thing.

Rarity could definitely stand to improve her treatment of Spike, but it's something that is made out to be much worse than it really is by the fandom, and it's gone to being nothing but a petty grip in my eyes.

I'm just pointing this out for PR purposes.

People seem to think I defend Rarity whenever something bad is said about her, but this right here proves that isn't the case. She was acting like a stereotypical teenage girl, and this guy provided fair criticism that wasn't hostile in the slightest.

Good job, man.

Just so you know I won't get into this discussion again...  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

I still can not believe this actually happened:

img-2289315-1-tumblr_n0p36g4wGy1rd23b5o1

*gags* Seriously, Hasbro... Just a slight bit too far.

I dunno man, Hasbro may commit some crimes against humanity, but they know my muddy girl fetish.

To his credit, it wasn't really a douche toward Rarity now I think about it, and he wasn't even close to being one of the bad things that happened to this ep. He did show kindness to her on certain occasions, except he was simply too distracted with somepony else throughout the entire episode.

Also, just to add to this, Rarity seems to have the worst luck with stallions xD First it was Prince Blueblood (who really was a douche to her) and now Trenderhoof who had feelings for AJ. I really wonder if there'll be another character who shows up that serves as Rarity's love interest but doesn't pan out.

youre very right! he actually didnt haha! i think everyone (including me) just thought he was a douche anyway :) for no reason really haha.

ugh agreed! after Pinkie Pride, i ship CheesePie SO hard and i want someone for rarity too :D i still ship Twilight and Flash Sentry too ^^ NEED MORE STALLIONS!!!