Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Breastfeeding scene on MLP:FiM? Ok or ‘not ok’?

Sholem Itzhak

Breastfeeding scene in MLP:FiM?  

99 users have voted

1. 1. Would you be ok with a Breastfeeding scene in MLP:FiM?

• Ok
    • Not Ok

Er, I personally am all for mother's breastfeeding. But...that would mean giving ponies boobs.

Do you see where this could be heading?

Well said, well said.  The only other thing that could work would be if they went for the accurate depiction of how animals breastfeed, but given the cartoonish, overtly anthropomorphic nature of how the characters are drawn, I doubt we'll ever see THAT happen like we would've in, say, an old Disney flick.

For example, take this:

Bambi_049.jpg

And this:

tumblr_mnxl7uWoNo1sp9fcho1_500.gif

And contrast it to this:

596217-vlcsnap_2012_01_21_04h02m31s179.p

See what I'm getting at?

Ergo, given this evidence, I don't think we ever should expect any sort of breastfeeding scene in MLP: an anthropomorphized version would be too weird and uncharacteristic, and a more naturalized version wouldn't make sense given the show's cartoonish nature.

Also, can I just say as an aside that this is certainly one of the more WTF threads I've ever seen on this site.  ^_^  But hey, this is the Internet, guess you can find just about anything on here.  :lol:

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

sesame has been around forever so everything has or will happen at least once on there, and rugrats was a show about babies that's no longer around. it's not exactly kid appropriate to have breast feeding on a kids show and there's just no need for it. and not just because of that but also they have cows milk which i'm sure is a fine substitute and possibly formula, so no breast feeding required. as much as some some of you would love to have that, the answer from me, parents, hasbro, and others, is no.

I think many people are missing the forest for the trees here. The OP does not ask "Would you want a breastfeeding scene in MLP?" it's asking "Would you be OK with it happening?" As in, say it's already a foregone conclusion, there's a snippet of breastfeeding shown, more like a background cameo appearance of a baby pony feeding on an unnamed mother character. The scene doesn't last for more than a second before the Mane Six keep walking through the scene and no mention of the act is focused on.

Would it really be that much of a problem? I don't think so. Just because something is featured doesn't mean that it has to be central to the plot of the episode.

In fact, it would probably be more damaging to the goal of making breastfeeding more normal if MLP made a big deal out of it's presentation. Because then you're just dividing your audience between pro-breastfeeding families and pro-formula fed families. And that doesn't need to happen.

• Brohoof 1

Er, I personally am all for mother's breastfeeding. But...that would mean giving ponies boobs.

Do you see where this could be heading?

I immediately agreed with you when I read that because I've seen how horrific putting anatomically correct breasts on a MLP pony looks, not to mention how questionable the scene looks played out in my head.   

If they showed, say Celestia (or another mare) laying down and their foal walks over and goes off screen and the mare is surpized and looks over and smiles.. than its OK.. just i dont think actually showing that part would be good..

but than again, im all for breastfeeding because we all did it, so whats the problem? NOTHING!

I can bring up actual facts about the My Little Pony as a brand. Baby Ponies have always been fed by bottle. The first babies to be sold in stores in the G1 line came with bottles - because originally the theme of my little pony as a brand was the child becomes the caregiver to the ponies. Nobody ever had a problem with this that I know of, but we didn't have internet back then to complain about OMG, why does my baby pony drink from a bottle? This isn't natural!!!

I'm with others that are wondering, why is this even a thread?

I mean at some point it becomes TMI - why do we need to do this and what purpose does it serve in the show...just so we can have self gratification about some random 'natural' facts of Equestria. We know ponies, eat, therefor they must poop. I suppose future threads will be: "I need to see Ponies pooping so I know they do poop".

This stuff seriously borders on overly obsessive if you ask me.

It's one of the curses of have a intelligent fandom that loves the little details, you grow to want to have a complete layout about how every little insignificant thing in the created world works "just because"

It can be fun, hilarious, educational, or even terrifying depending on where that curiously goes.   

There is a time and place, and as this isn't the Nature channel its not place.   I like to think since they use bottles they probably use a pump for feeding times to be easier shared between parents.  Least that's what I ended up doing.  I got all the middle of night feedings just because the interruptions in my sleep had little impact on me.

As for MLP, I don't feel it would add anything relevant or useful to the show.

Like why?

Look i can understand why someone would wanna put religion on the show.

Or homo sexuality.

or transgender ponies.

Fine.  But why this?

It's not like breast feeding is something that defines an individual.

It's a thing you do or might not do.

just how some people wear boxers and some wear briefs.

Do we need ponies in boxers and briefs now?

I don't think there's anything obscene about the act of breastfeeding whatsoever and get annoyed when people do think that but, considering where an actual pony's nipples (not sure if they can be referred to as breasts) are... yeah let's just avoid it. :P

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

Yeah, of course it would be fine.  If you don't think it's fine, then I think you need to re-evaluate yourself.

Ponies have udders, not breasts, so what would be the point? In any case, breastfeeding advocates seem to want to paint breastfeeding as OMG SPESHUL WONDERFUL UNIQUE when in actual fact, it's normal. Every single mammal does it without all this publicity.

Here is a mare feeding her foal. Do you really want this on MLP?

img-2292450-1-r173461_655799.jpg

OH GREAT, the ONE night I tell myself "Sheldon, tonight is the night you don't get turned on" and BAM, you throw this shit in my face, THANKS A LOT!

Edited by Deesinn

Obviously, somepony's never heard of "Murphy's Law."

That doesn't quite seem like Murphy's law...

Honestly I don't see why this discussion is still ongoing. If it were done tastefully, just a baby head in front of a mother's teat area, it wouldn't cause any more rule 34 than we usual get. I mean, it would be completely unnecessary, but not actually harmful...

Edited by Kitsunin

*Does a double take and rereads the title of the thread*

The fuck?

What the fuck?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

I have but one question, OP. Why?

Why would such a scene be in MLP? What purpose would it serve? I wouldn't personally mind, but, that is just such a bizarre question, I'm sitting here staring at my computer and am still not sure I read that correctly.

Why would they put such a scene into the show? They wouldn't.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

*Does a double take and rereads the title of the thread*

Why?

Why would such a scene be in MLP? What purpose would it serve? I wouldn't personally mind, but, that is just such a bizarre question, I'm sitting here staring at my computer and am still not sure I read that correctly.

Why? Why not?

An interesting thought to ponder about and share around imo.  

• Brohoof 1

It's one of the curses of have a intelligent fandom that loves the little details, you grow to want to have a complete layout about how every little insignificant thing in the created world works "just because"

It can be fun, hilarious, educational, or even terrifying depending on where that curiously goes.   

I've been in the online my little pony fandom since 1996; yes, as hard as it is to believe there were people online into MLP before FIM existed, we already had a community of fans/collectors/etc. There were people having pony meets before FIM. We all got together and talked about my little pony, and talked online about MLP, there was no lack of interest in the show, toy or anything related to MLP. And a majority of us, when we got online back in the 90's who were into MLP were in our late teens/early twenties. The same as a lot of the FIM centered folks are right now.

I'm just sorta thinking, if the majority of the fanbase was female before FIM, you'd think that certainly nursing baby ponies would have come up, since breast feeding is something women do, right? I don't know any males who can do this LOL!

Plus add into the fact that by the late 90's a majority of the women who have loved MLP since the beginning would have starting having babies...so you'd think breast feeding in My Little Pony...why weren't we having deep political and intellectual conversations about it? Is it about intelligence or something else?

You might call it having an intelligent fanbase...but I'm not sure I would qualify it as just being that.

• Brohoof 2

No. I would not want that stuff on MLP. It IS ponies afterall. I mean, if they get complaints from derpy, imagine what hasbro will get from showing ANIMAL BREASTFEEDING on their show. Plus, it's just impossible to show that without making the mother pony heavily clothed. Most ponies don't wear clothes unless it is for a special occassion and it would be weird to have a character designed specifically for breastfeeding. If they made the pony breastfeeding a current character then fans of that character may be a little ticked. So, in conclusion, no. Breastfeeding has no purpose on MLP. By putting breastfeeding in MLP, they'd just be wasting their time. Putting work into something the fanbase will try to overlook anyway.

Edited by Judgement

I think it would be odd to put much focus on it, but as another person has already said, it would make sense if  there was just some random  pony in the background nursing her foal.  Yes, I think it's okay.  It's not like "OMG WRONG SO DISGUSTING!" I can see why the creators of the show probably wouldn't want to go through a lot of extra trouble just to make it happen (seriously... background ponies are randomly computer generated and placed around just to fill in space.  It's rare that they actually plan out where to put everypony.)

If there were to be a nursing scene, it wouldn't be with Pound and Pumpkin Cake, because, as already mentioned again, they have been shown already to be bottle-fed.  Plus, at their age now, they are probably close to being weaned.  

As for all the people who are concerned with the way horse-nursing looks, it doesn't necessarily have to look like that.  Just as the ponies in the show are recognizable as ponies without actually looking anything at all like real ponies, so the nursing pose can be tweaked a bit to reduce perversion and still appear somewhat "natural."  

Here is an example that I quickly put together to help illustrate my point:

post-19482-0-67786600-1392271803.pngpost-19482-0-67965000-1392271807.png

There's also one without the foal just to show where the nipple would be.  I imagine it would probably still be in the belly-area but not right in the crotch-area the way real horse teats are.

If anyone gets offended by a foal nursing in that position, I would be surprised and probably not even take that person seriously.

This could be done with Fluttershy taking in a more primitive baby pony or some strange never before seen creature. It has a few funny moments in the episode where it sniffs around the Mane 6 underbelly with its wet nose causing them to jump.

That's actually a really adorable idea!  x3

I'm with others that are wondering, why is this even a thread?

It is because it doesn't violate any rules, and people on this forum are allowed to post threads about whatever they want to talk about as long as it isn't completely inappropriate.  Someone just got curious, and now we are all here talking about it, because others are also curious.  It makes sense.

It's not like breast feeding is something that defines an individual.

It's a thing you do or might not do.

Try telling that to my mother and see where it gets you.  xD

I've been in the online my little pony fandom since 1996; yes, as hard as it is to believe there were people online into MLP before FIM existed, we already had a community of fans/collectors/etc. 

Wow, really?  That's crazy.  O.O

I mean, I guess I should have known that there would already be fans, since,  you know... there are fans of just about everything.  I just wonder why they weren't as well-known as the FiM bronies of today.  lawl

Edited by Pudu (Rainshine)

I think it would be rather unwise, as it would gain almost nothing, and cause a massive shit storm that would result in a net loss of profits. And seeing how Hasbro is a corporation, a net loss is something you do not want. Ever. Sure it may raise awareness in how natural it is to breastfeed, but it would create a mutli-media shit storm, and a very massive one at that.