Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pick a Flaw - S4E16 It Ain't Easy Being Breezies

Doctor XFizzle

60 users have voted

1. 1. What is your TOP complaint/dislike from today's episode?

• Fluttershy focus
    • Breezies introduction
    • Seabreeze (Breezy leader)
    • Spike's mistake
    • Mane 6 breezification
    • Journal entry/moral
    • Other (explain)

Relax, CITRUS. I don't think we'll see that spell popping up again anytime soon.

But it still exists, and it'll always be popping up in my mind at the most inconvenient times. "Like, why don't they just turn themselves into dragons and eat the bad guy?"

Because they'd only have access to Spike, making them all baby dragons.

Oh ya, I remember when casting the spell, she casted something on the breezies themselves, as if to imply she was harnessing their essence as a reagent for the spell. Hmm, good point.

This is probably one of my least favorite episodes in the series. It had some good qualities, but it was largely uninteresting and the episode had a girly feel to it - I did like the Doctor Who reference and thought Seabreeze was a sympathetic character, but everything else (including Fluttershy) made this episode a drag.

I voted for the breezification of the Mane Six, that felt like the straw that broke the pony's back. I could take a lot of the stuff in the first two acts.. but the breezification brought this episode down to Mare-Do-Well levels for me.

My main gripe was with how they could've just flown the breezies their on Fluttershy's back, or some other pegasi. It was completely unnecessary : /

My point exactly, it was a "fuck logic" moment that can't even fall into the "reasonable doubt" grey area.

• Brohoof 1

My point exactly, it was a "fuck logic" moment that can't even fall into the "reasonable doubt" grey area.

The only rational behind it.....you know what, no, I'm not going to humor that's there's any logic behind this. I was going to say that (and yes I'm thinking as I type here as if this were an in person conversation) they knew they could just have Fluttershy fly them but decided to breezify themselves cuz "Well this works too so why not?". But no, just no. It was a deus ex machina created as an excuse to sell breezy toys of the mane 6. Either that, or the writers somehow didn't think this through. Like it was a last second idea and they just rolled with it, cuz it sounded neat. "Wouldn't it be cute if we had the mane 6 turn into breezies?!"

I do wonder tho, with plot holes like these in stories, what the writer's reaction is if they ever realize the lapse in logic the created in their plot......and to make matters worse, they've already published it so it's too late to change it.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 1

A friend and I were once discussing this episode a few weeks ago, going through why it felt so lackluster. He compared it to the movie Street Kings: it has an all-star cast of familiar faces, but the story and setting are otherwise unmemorable. You watch it, get the point, and move on with your life. Perhaps you remember a performance because it was so over the top (i.e., Seabreeze); otherwise there is nothing significant of note.

Although "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies" isn't bad per se, it really does come off like a transparent toy commercial with little regard for the world in which new elements are introduced. The premise and execution are both flimsy, requiring us to believe there is a race of creatures who are so fragile that a gentle wind might destroy them. In terms of world-building, the suspension of disbelief is lost for me. How in the world could the Breezies ever survive outside of their home? Without regular assistance, what prevents them from going extinct at the literal drop of a hat? The writers can and have done better in incorporating strange new creatures into Equestria.

The central flaw in this episode thus revolves around the Breezies. They're unbelievably fragile; they serve no stated purpose in spite of being sentient and potentially supernatural; and they are inexplicably lazy. Seabreeze is the only sane member of the group sent to collect pollen; he wants to return home to his family while the rest of his team decides they can chill out in Fluttershy's cottage. I would have elected for the Breezies to resist leaving because they're (rightfully) scared of a frickin' leaf destroying all of them, not because Fluttershy tends to their every need. There are so many other ways to explore Fluttershy as a pushover and assertive -- why did this story have to deliver the muddled moral?

All the other flaws -- especially the deus ex machina -- flow from the poor handling of the Breezies.

but the story and setting are otherwise unmemorable. You watch it, get the point, and move on with your life. Perhaps you remember a performance because it was so over the top (i.e., Seabreeze); otherwise there is nothing significant of note

My thoughts exactly. The episode is fairly forgettable, except for maybe Seabreeze. Another flaw is the laziness of the group of Breezies Seabreeze was in command of. Not sure how they managed to get picked for the important task of returning pollen to their home, but whoever did it was lousy at sizing them up!

• Brohoof 1