Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would a 7yr old girl enjoy a convention?

Rarity Paige Belle

Well, I would say that the whole point of brony conventions is for older fans of the show to meet people, and relate to other people around their age range, so she might actually get a little board, is my guess.

(edited)

A whole family went last year and had the time of their lives. By all means take the young lady along. It's an all-ages convention - still doesn't change the demographic! :)

Under-12s get free access to the convention, too, and considering conventions only embody the best of the fandom, it's all the more reason to bring everyone along.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 5

A whole family went last year and had the time of their lives. By all means take the young lady along. It's an all-ages convention - still doesn't change the demographic! :)

Under-12s get free access to the convention, too, and considering conventions only embody the best of the fandom, it's all the more reason to bring everyone along.

But are there any kid specific activities? You know, like a play area?

And what about cosplayers, I'm guessing they wouldn't want a kid all over them!

There's no play area, but the cosplayers love it! A little kid would most likely believe that it's actually Rainbow Dash/Pinkie Pie/whatever cosplay it is, and cosplayers think that's really fun. ^^

And there are still a lot of activities a 7-year-old can take part in. For instance, there was a cupcake decorating competition last year. Painting blind bag figures, singing, etc. If you're a fan of the show from pretty much anywhere, you'll find it fun.

• Brohoof 3

In general most conventions are fine for 7-year-olds, providing they are reasonable 7-year-olds. However, in taking a child to *any* convention, not just a Brony convention, you are taking responsibility for that child. If the kid is the type to climb all over strangers simply because they are in a strange costume, you will need to maintain positive control at all times and prevent that from happening.

The con will likely have many kid-friendly activities, even if they are not billed as such. However it is not likely that the con will provide babysitting services while you go and attend your own panels that would bore the kid. And you should not be leaving a 7-year old alone at a convention, no mater *what* convention it is.

Basically, if you bring a minor to a con that is what you will be doing the entire con, taking care of that child. If you want to be doing other things, you should not be bringing the kid along.

• Brohoof 5

It depends. Would she like to go meet other fans, and possibly see some of the people who are part of the production team? 

I think it would be fair to ask her what she would think, if she'd like to go or not. If she's interested, I'd say yeah, take her. Just make sure that she's on her best behavior and make sure you take a lot of money with you. 

Rest assured during a convention there will be a lot to see and do, but it would also be a good idea to research the convention ahead of time, to see what kind of activities would appeal to her. 

Any new experiences in general are awesome for kids that young! Unless they're especially cynical little tyrants (gg seven year old me, RIP in peace). They'll love seeing the more elaborate cosplayers for sure (especially fursuiters, I know from experience that full body fur suits tend to be popular with young kids), some of the panels may interest them especially if you let the girl ask the VA's a question (always cute when someone young goes up to ask something, eheh). The thing is that I don't think the convention can hold their attention for too long, since they'll probably be lacking on age appropriate peers to get along with. So be prepared to take them back home early or bring outside stuff for them to do as well.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I would say that taking a little kid to any convention is a must, if she has a realization that it's just a cartoon, she's less likely to climb all over strangers.

But then again, I'm pretty sure nobody would mind  :lol:

(edited)

Actually the My Little pony Fair Collectors Convention is for all ages, so it's kid friendly and it usually has lots of kids; It's for all generation of MLP however so you're gonna get a healthy dose of all generations of MLP. But children are welcome at the Fair and I would say it's probably a more kid friendly atmosphere. I think the costume contest at the fair actually has a kid section and there are games at the fair that kids can participate in.

The fair is also more focused on the brand in general, so there is a lot of focus on stuff, toys, etc.

Edited by KarentheUnicorn
  • Brohoof 3

Probably not.

Conventions are usually where fans go to converse and participate in different fandom events. A 7 year old probably might not find it as fun as an older fan.

I'm taking my 8 year old daughter to Everfree Northwest this year, it will be our first convention ever. I figured she would really enjoy the cosplay, and seeing so many people that enjoy the show. Hopefully the merchandise will be awesome too. I don't expect her to sit through an entire panel on the fine arts of audio production, or story boarding though. She may surprise me though. If she gets completely bored with the convention then we have Seattle to explore, so it should be a lot of fun.

• Brohoof 1

I just don't think there's a terrible amount they'll be super interested in, apart from cosplays and people walking around in pony costumes that they might find amazing, and the merchandizing halls where they can get toys and things. Most of the appeal is, as others have said, for the older fans. Most kids at the age of seven won't have the attention span nor the mental maturity to care for panels and things.

There are things that they'd enjoy if you homed in on them, but it's certainly not targeted to those ages, so you'd definitely want to plan out what you'll be doing and when just as much as anyone else, seeing as there's a far more limited scope of what they'd probably be interested in.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe...For Example:A mature 11 year old girl could enjoy the con and cosplay and such,but of she was a little tyrant then not so much..When I was around 7 or 8 I could keep a conversation with adults.It mostly depends on maturoty.

(edited)

I took my 2 daughters to a brony con (Sac Brony Expo.)  It was a small one, I should say, but we all had a great time.  My youngest was 8 and my oldest is in her teens.  There were a few kids there, and they all got special treatment from the panelists. 

I think we saw a panel from the Everfree NW podcasters, and they gave out free stuff to any kid they could see in the audience.  My little one got a free Trixie doll and was ecstatic.  She also got a free poster and a free hat from other bronies. 

There was nothing untoward, and they weren't unwecome in the least.  The only caveat is that littler ones get bored easily, so it might be better to have 2 adults so they don't have to stand in every single line?  There wasn't any sort of kids area, but she went to various panels about brony music and fan art, etc and had a good time.

In a couple of months we're going to BABScon, which is going to be a monster.  I hope we get to meet at least one star for an autograph, they'll be thrilled.

Edited by greatmaul
  • Brohoof 1