Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does your last name mean

Lunas Husband

"To be a Vanstane means to think of other before you only think of yourself!" 

~My grandfather 

The last name, we all have one don't we? I'm like 89% sure we all do. So does your last name of some kind of a meaning to it? When others hear your last name, do they shake in fear? Jump with joy! Do they ask themselves "Who?" or is it just a name? 

As for me.. Vanstane means a lot to me and what little family I have left. We are in the history books, once anyway. My grandfather told me the story 100's of time's when I was a kid or as he called me "Little man". 

My great great etc Grandfather order a bride from Poland, now he wanted to get her something nice for when she got to the USA. So he had take 4 horses all the way from New York all the way town to Texas, he trade all the horses he had for one wood stove, then he had picked up that stove on his back and carried it all the way back to New York.

I remember the day I found out what it real means to be a Vanstane. I was a young boy and was staying with my grandfather and he told me this. 

"Randy to be a Vanstane means, your job in life is to make the world a better place for all that live in it. See someone sad, talk to them. Make them feel happy, then help them make friends, then once they are happy and have friends... leave them, you are not to say one word to them after that. Then move on find more sad people help them and leave them. Never and I mean never keep a friend or let anyone help you or accept a thank you because it well only go to your head"  

So what does Vanstane mean to me? means help the world, help everyone in it even if they hate me or don't know me. Never keep your friends and never accept help or thank you. 

So let me hear it, what does your last name mean to you? 

• Brohoof 5

My last name is a heritage name past down towards all my successful relatives.

According to my grandparents, they say my name alone brings all the respect and Integrity I can bestow and receive.

My last name? Hernandez.

• Brohoof 2

My last name isn't my biological last name.

My biological grandfather's name was "Day". However, stuff happened, and my grandmother married Mr. Wilson :P

I guess my last name doesn't really mean squat to me. It's just my name and some day it may change, depending on the situation I'm in.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, my last name is very common.  Its Rojas. However, the last name originates from the color red, as well as a familiar name, "Roxas".  Don't ask how i know it, but you'd would have to look up Latin/Early Spanish history and literature to figure it out. 

TBH,I thought the name originated from the time of the Romans.

Edited by Promethean Alicorn
  • Brohoof 1

Cuthbertson Name Meaning English: patronymic from the personal name Cudbert

And Alexander; my birth name. The name has been used by kings of Scotland, Poland and Yugoslavia, emperors of Russia, and eight popes. Other notable bearers include English poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744), American statesman Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), Scottish-Canadian explorer Sir Alexander MacKenzie (1764-1820), Russian poet Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837), and Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922), the Scottish-Canadian-American inventor of the telephone.

• Brohoof 1

My maiden last name is Lyons....I hate it, it has bad connotations for me. I honestly wish i don't have to carry that name around anymore since I am now married. It's hard telling people I don't have a family, and no matter what people say, I can't convince them how much I truly hate the consequences my birth family bestowed upon me. They are not legally my parents, blood or not, so why do I need to carry this maiden name around for the rest of my life...I do have my name changed, but there are many documents in which a maiden name is necessary if you are married. 

My new last name is wonderful. It's full of hope and a future worth looking forward to, with today being wonderful just because I have this new last name. I wouldn't be where I am today without my husband, my best friend. He is my everything, so it's only natural my name should reflect that. :wub:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hilgendorf

Direct meaning is like, "one who comes from Hilgendorff," which is supposedly a sacred place in Germany or something like that. The alternate meaning is something to the effect of "holy village," which I guess is the same thing.

Anyways, I'm dominantly German.

Though, to be Hilgendorfs at one point meant leaving a tiiiny amount of anything we eat without ever finishing it off. Which was kinda established when visiting my father's girlfriend many years ago.

Example: 5 cookies left? Eat 4.

All of us did it, so yeah.

Sadly, I don't exactly have the same high stake placed on my name as you, @:)  Nowadays I loosely equate my last name to something akin to being slightly unusual, antisocial, but slightly above average intelligence.

My new last name is wonderful. It's full of hope and a future worth looking forward to, with today being wonderful just because I have this new last name. I wouldn't be where I am today without my husband, my best friend. He is my everything, so it's only natural my name should reflect that. :wub:

Awh. :muffins: That's adorable~ I'm happy you have such a great reason to like your last name~  :lol:  (And have a great husband to make it all the more meaningful)

I've met a few people other  disliked their last names too, if it means anything. One dude had Sepe as a last name; was mispronounced all the time, if memory serves.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

Y'know how some people are named after their ancestral father? Names like "Robertson, Stevenson, Richardson"?

Mine's like that. Soooo, I guess there was a king in my family's past or something?  :huh:

My last name means 'From Castile' Which is a region in Spain. Since my Great Grandparents are from Spain that's most likely what it means. It can also mean from the castle in Spanish or Italian as well. 

Synnett

Well, we are only 312 people in the world to wear that name (I know most of them), and it's quite an odd name. ^_^ It actually means "Brave and Victorious" in another language, but whatever, I love it!

Everyone keep forgetting how the name is written, and it's quite funny; they always forget a "n" or a "t", switch the "y" for a "i", etc. I remember the first time I get into school, I had to write my name, and I was a bit confused lol.

-How do you spell your name?

-As it's said.

Oh well, I consider myself quite lucky to have an unusual name. :)

I'm not sure really. All I know is that my last name is very German, and most people butcher the pronunciation, and spelling of it.

I'm gonna go with this too, because my last name is German too.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't really mean anything to me, and I don't have any sentimental feelings towards it. It's just my name, I wish it could be more to me, but it just isn't.

I have the most common last name from Vietnam, which is Nguyen.. The name of a royal Vietnamese dynasty.

You aren't kidding about common. I dated a lot of Vietnamese-American girls in high school and the years after, and I can remember at least three of them named "Nguyen"...and two named "Le". There were actually two girls with the same first AND last names. If it weren't for the Ramirezes and Gonzalezes in my school, Nguyen would have been by far the most common surname. 

I'm gonna go with this too, because my last name is German too.

As is mine, but it is not as difficult to pronounce as some other German surnames: "Edinger". It's pronounced "Ed-in-jurr", although some people occasionally mispronounce it as "Edding-er" or "Eee-din-jurr". As far as I can tell from googling, though, it means nothing more than "one who comes from Edingen (a town in Germany)". Kind of boring. 

IT IS A VISCOUS CYCLE!

Sounds like a sticky situation. 

• Brohoof 1

My family name, Porter (or Staaliik) means doorkeeper, gatekeeper or one who carries things. It's a very old name, originating in medieval Europe. At the time of its earliest known usage as a family name, 1086, a porter would have been someone with prestige, a higher-level servant at a manor or castle. He would have been the man with the keys, most likely.

I couldn't tell you where my last name is even from, let alone what it means. I know nothing about my family beyond my mother's grandparents (where my last name is from cuz she never married) and her siblings.

You aren't kidding about common. I dated a lot of Vietnamese-American girls in high school and the years after, and I can remember at least three of them named "Nguyen"...and two named "Le". There were actually two girls with the same first AND last names. If it weren't for the Ramirezes and Gonzalezes in my school, Nguyen would have been by far the most common surname. 

Exactly.. Nguyen, they're every where. =.= 

Irish girl here ^_^

70% to be exact. My last name is the 8th most popular Irish last name.

O'Connor – Patrons of Warriors

They might not be warriors themselves, but O’Connors descend from them.

The O'Connor name, with its varied spellings, doesn't spring from a common source. The name arose in five areas of Ireland: Connacht, Kerry, Derry, Offaly and Clare and split into six distinct septs.

The most prominent sept is that of the Connacht O'Connors who gave us the last two High-Kings of Ireland: Turlough O'Connor (1088-1156) and Roderick O'Connor (1116-1198). They trace their heritage and name from the Irish "Ua Conchobhair," meaning from Conchobhar, a king of Connacht.