Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

King Sombra Fan Club

Castle Bleck

"The Shadow of the Storm will encroach upon this land, and they will know me. Fear is the ultimate weapon I hold, and it is through fear that I will be remembered."

king_sombra_by_quvr-dcg2kmt.png

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/quvr/art/King-Sombra-752588021

• Brohoof 4

• 9 months later...

They believed they had killed him once before.  Grogar was able to bring him back before.  Perhaps He's still in the cards.  I had the pleasure of having dinner this weekend with Jim Miller at a mlp convention, and I believe he's aware that Sombra fans will not accept his death as canon.  We simply refuse.  He also said he wanted to make up for his first, unsatisfying portrayal, and really give the impression that, given the opportunity to flex, Sombra really IS that powerful.  I can appreciate most of what they've done with him, and maybe we get him back, maybe we don't.  But man, we finally got a chance to see him get out and do some damage.  Long Live The King.

• Brohoof 3

17 hours ago, Double Clutch said:

He also said he wanted to make up for his first, unsatisfying portrayal, and really give the impression that, given the opportunity to flex, Sombra really IS that powerful.

He rekt the Infinity Gauntlet tree; talk about making the most of an opportunity. :o

• Brohoof 3

I'll just copy and past my comments from the Equestria Daily blog regarding him:

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/04/discussion-what-do-you-think-of-sombra.html

-----

I dunno; I tend to have a different view of Sombra than most. While it's technically true he was more a force than character in "The Crystal Empire," I tend to think there was plenty of subtle character there that is easily missed. Keep in mind that pre-season 9, I would say he was the absolute closest to victory while barely having to lift a hoof. Remember all of those traps? His not rushing into action in such a weakened state? It gave us hints at his intelligence and competence. While he eliminated Shining Armor as a threat, Cadence was still an unknown entity, so he bided his time, waiting for the time to strike, and it worked. It was ignoring Spike that was his downfall.

So, what do we have now that the season 9 premiere has come and gone? He's fully restored, so whatever weakness or disadvantage he had as a wraith is now gone. He steamrolled the Crystal Empire, Ponyville, and Canterlot; destroyed the Tree of Harmony through VERY clever means; and forced the Mane 6 to face their own fears once again, which distracted them with their hypnotized loved ones. Yeah, he's more pompous here, but I'm fine with that. Unlike Chrysalis or Tirek, he almost won.

Sombra's only sin was just leaving the Mane 6 in that cage without mind-controlling them. Yeah, he was right on the mark with their greatest fear, but he didn't take the extra measure to secure his position. Had he done that; there would be no stopping him unless Discord felt he needed to intervene, or the Royal Sisters and Starswirl confronted him, but that's another topic.

Needless to say, King Sombra has been my favorite MLP villain by FAR, and also by FAR my favorite character of the entire franchise, and that is keeping in mind show canon and the various comic canons (Reflections and FIENDship/Siege). The only thing that bummed me was that Grogar didn't bring Sombra back, but at the same time, he may not need to. We'll see~

• Brohoof 5

On 4/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Double Clutch said:

They believed they had killed him once before.  Grogar was able to bring him back before.  Perhaps He's still in the cards.  I had the pleasure of having dinner this weekend with Jim Miller at a mlp convention, and I believe he's aware that Sombra fans will not accept his death as canon.  We simply refuse.  He also said he wanted to make up for his first, unsatisfying portrayal, and really give the impression that, given the opportunity to flex, Sombra really IS that powerful.  I can appreciate most of what they've done with him, and maybe we get him back, maybe we don't.  But man, we finally got a chance to see him get out and do some damage.  Long Live The King.

I really wanted to ask him about it but there was no way we'd get an answer anyhow.

Spoiler

It feels off if he doesn't come back. Even just the dynamic feels 'off' without him there. Plus keeping him dead actually seemed to conflict with what we'd heard. Grogar said he'd "own" Sombra if he failed. Then just seemed to wash his hooves of it, which seemed pretty nearsighted, not to mention it conflicted with what he said earlier. And Sombra's plan was brilliant within the scope of everyone's knowledge at that point. He'd still be a very valuable asset if he can just learn to work and play well with others. Give him a few hours with Cozy :P

Also.... dagnabbit. I never got a chance to make a post to see how many MLPF folks might have been there. We should've all met up at some point. Blaaah

• Brohoof 1

OMG; I am just in love with his laugh.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 3

I just had this thought regarding season 9, which has been spoilered since he premier is still pretty young:

Spoiler

I can imagine Sombra returning in some fashion. Whether by Grogar's hoof or not, I can imagine him scheming and probably singing this while planning revenge against Grogar, Tirek and Chrysalis:

Speaking of that, has anyone else noticed that Sombra is one of the very few characters in the series (FiM or EqG) to seemingly have an instrumental theme accompany him when he's on-screen?

Along with the previously posted S9 clip; it's something I can appreciate. <3

27 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

I just had this thought regarding season 9, which has been spoilered since he premier is still pretty young:

Reveal hidden contents

I can imagine Sombra returning in some fashion. Whether by Grogar's hoof or not, I can imagine him scheming and probably singing this while planning revenge against Grogar, Tirek and Chrysalis:

"There are ways in which he can return." -- Albus Dumbledore

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, PathfinderCS said:

Hide contents

Speaking of that, has anyone else noticed that Sombra is one of the very few characters in the series (FiM or EqG) to seemingly have an instrumental theme accompany him when he's on-screen?

Along with the previously posted S9 clip; it's something I can appreciate. <3

Great idea! I love this song at it kind of fitting for him. And his instrumental theme is awesome. In my opinion, it suits sombra to be the powerful villain who works alone and would never submit to anyone.

Spoiler

If he returns again I hope he stays evil. From the moment the villains summoned, sombra felt different from them, more commanding and selfish then the other 3.

Oh, the influx of great Sombra art will never end...

large.png

large.jpeg

large.jpeg

And that's not even mentioning the gold parody comics people have been making inspired by the premiere...

tall.png

large.png

I know that it's all about what the show staff wants to do...but how anyone can not want Sombra to return after seeing all this is my question. :mlp_maud:

• Brohoof 4