Luna's Voice

Party Cannon

In today's episode, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, Luna's voice did not sound like her voice actress Tabitha St. Germain. Did anyone else notice that? It says on IMDB that it was her however it has been wrong in the past, especially if it is freshly edited.

I feel this deserves a discussion topic in itself because this may have larger ramifications. One poster on YouTube stated that possibly what appeared to be Luna was actually Celestia disguised. This sounds odd but then again so did her voice, an element which is a crucial part to an animated show.

Thoughts and explanations?

It may be because Tabitha isn't used to doing Luna that often.

Luna hasn't really spoken overall that much in the series, really. ^^"

• Brohoof 5

Another thing, In the comics she still speaks with the royal we, but in the show she doesn't. Why?

I know, right!? Maybe Twilight has been giving her more voice coaching behind the scenes in the show.

It may be because Tabitha isn't used to doing Luna that often.

Luna hasn't really spoken overall that much in the series, really. ^^"

You're right ^^

Although all the love that Luna receives,she doesn't get much time to talk,therefore Tabitha doesn't have specially lots of practise with Luna's voice.

That could be an explanation after all :P

• Brohoof 1

I know this isn't really the place to put it, but Luna needs her own episode. ^^"

Kind of like NIghtmare Night, but more Luna speaking parts. ^^

• Brohoof 1

I know this isn't really the place to put it, but Luna needs her own episode. ^^"

Kind of like NIghtmare Night, but more Luna speaking parts. ^^

Well...she has her own episode (Luna Eclipsed)

But yeah!A Luna episode,or even a major speaking role would be a perfect way to complete this season ^_^

There was really only one part that really stuck out to me, the part where she meets sweetie in real life.

She sounded very different, but i could still tell it was Tabitha. She actually sounded a lot like Celestia.

I wonder if it was intentional or not.

Edited by crazitaco

Honestly, I'm glad someone else besides me noticed. Her voice was a jarring to me. So much so I found it difficult to notice what was going on. Over all though, I thought it was a good episode. Odd however that Luna plays the ghosts of past, present and future.

I bet it's just hard for her being Rarity most of the time, then trying to remember a not often speaking character like Luna. ^^"

I thought they changed it intentionally  to show that she actually is growing older.

I dunno.

I'm just saying, Tabitha doesn't play Luna that often. So it may be hard for her to remember exactly how the voice was in her head at times.

Your idea is good, too! ^^

It was different, sure, but it was just a change in tone. She doesn't have to have that highish, whimsical voice all the time. She was firm and solid with her voice change, and it sounded like she was garnering a more modern accent. She was still Luna, regardless.

• Brohoof 2

She sounded the same to me. We don't hear her very often, so I probably assumed her voice was unchanged. Either way, her voice matches her character.

On a side note, it's not the same when watching the show knowing that the voice of a character has been changed. Almost as if the character is well, dead and has been replaced.

I don't buy her not practicing enough. If that were the case then she would've sounded differently long before this episode.

Perhaps Tabitha wasn't available when that scene needed to be dubbed. Maybe the track got screwed up and DHX only found out last minute.

It honestly sounded more like Nicole Oliver at the end.

Her voice sounded the same to me, but only a little different. It's not like she was being replaced, it sounded like Nicole Oliver when we were near the end of the episode.