Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Change the @mention feature

Jokuc

As of right now, we use the code

[b]@[member='Username'][/b], 

or just

@[member='Rising Shine']

to mention a user in a thread. (http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/5693-ddk33-quote-selected-text/)

Sometimes, highlighting an user's text will not always make the little bubble with the quote/mention options appear. Also, whenever you want to mention someone you will need to find one of their posts to then be able to highlight it.

But what if you want to mention a user who has not posted in the thread? To do this, I usually just highlight an user's text and mention them, or just write down the mention code manually, then I change the username to the name of the person I want to quote.

The problem here though, is that sometimes you will not know the exact name of the user you want to quote, and some people don't even know the mention code in their head. This causes the seemingly easy and fast process to take way longer time than it should, even if it isn't such a long time at all. 10 seconds longer can be a reason for you to not do it, everyone is lazy on the internet.

I am not sure why we chosed to use a whole code line just to mention someone Sadly there were not many options to chose from when we added the mention system, but it should be way easier. I have looked around and I'm not sure if I can find exactly the extension I am looking for, however for IPS 4.0 @Mentioning is possible. If you write @ followed by, let's say Jo, it automatically shows up a list of the users with names starting at Jo. I also found this but I am not sure if it actually will suggest names (which is one of the thing I am looking for).

Maybe it's just not possible to do exactly what I am looking for without spending large amounts of money. See this is why we should use vBulletin

Actually, I'm not sure what I am even suggesting since there are not any better options for the IPB version we're on, as far as I know.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 5

I support this. ^^"

It is a little bit of a hassle tagging members now.

I mean, I just found out how a few days ago.

Maybe change it to "@Username" like Facebook does or whatnot. ^^

I support this. ^^"

It is a little bit of a hassle tagging members now.

I mean, I just found out how a few days ago.

Maybe change it to "@Username" like Facebook does or whatnot. ^^

Yes, I would agree on this, but the tech administrators has not created this mentioning system themselves, it is an extension to IP Board they downloaded from the IPS Market.

If it's possible to download the feature from Invision then I don't see why we couldn't add this feature, however if it's not compatible with our current version of IPB Im almost certain it's possible to modify the older mentioning system to work with our current version. It would require some time from the Tech admins but I don't see why its not possible.

Im all for it, but Id like to hear from a Techie first.

(edited)

If it's possible to download the feature from Invision then I don't see why we couldn't add this feature, however if it's not compatible with our current version of IPB Im almost certain it's possible to modify the older mentioning system to work with our current version. It would require some time from the Tech admins but I don't see why its not possible.

Im all for it, but Id like to hear from a Techie first.

Maybe I formulated my sentence a bit wrong here, the feature is not an extension you can download in the IPS Marketplace if you have IPS 4.0, it is a built-in feature for the version which comes when you upgrade your software. Therefore, it's not possible to modify it (as far as I know).

But as I said, there is another extension which works with @ tags for our software, but 1. it costs like 20 bucks and 2. I don't know if it automatically suggests names in a list, which I doubt.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

-snip-  

Ahhh I gotcha now :P
It sounds interesting, perhaps Felds can look it over and see if its worth purchasing for the forum. If it does suggest names then that would be brilliant , id be all for it.

Ahhh I gotcha now :P

It sounds interesting, perhaps Felds can look it over and see if its worth purchasing for the forum. If it does suggest names then that would be brilliant , id be all for it.

The problem however is that the creator is an immature bitch who has very stupid terms of use such as "no stupid questions" and "no asking the author for help" ...or maybe "dont ask the author for help outside the (now dead) IPB support topic"

No one has mentioned in the comments if that's the case, but I suppose we could ask someone who purchased it.

• Brohoof 1