Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was I the only one open-minded enough to watch mlp immediately?

Spark

So, lately I've been telling people about bronies, and each time I get the same response. A laugh.When I found out about it, I was eager to watch it as soon as possible.Maybe that's because of the quality of some shows these days.Or maybe it was because I was informed that this show was amazing by one of my most trusted internet news providers: Smosh. The only reason my friend would watch it immediately was because he knew me and was assured of my manliness. Was anypony else open-minded enough to think that they would actually like the show when they first heard of its fan base? Because I've been wondering lately if I'm just strange.

What do you mean by that?

well, I didn't actually look into it enough to see if there was a fan base, it never crossed my mind that it could have one.

well, I didn't actually look into it enough to see if there was a fan base, it never crossed my mind that it could have one.

So when did you find out that there was a fan base? Because the fact that you're a part of this forum is enough to tell me that you know about it

I actually first heard of the show in October 2011 when my friend told me about a funny video (youtube poop) of MLP:FIM. I watched it and I thought it actually looked like a decent show from what I could tell ( The animation looked pretty good and it seemed like a genuinely decent show).

I had never even heard of the fan base until I just happened to see a conversation that same day on youtube comments talking about its popularity amongst guys, and I thought "huh that's weird...well it must be pretty good then." Basically these 2 guys were arguing and one was saying like "why do guys watch this wtf" and the other guy said "you can watch full episodes on youtube and i recommend it cause its really good, etc"

So the next day I decided to watch it out of boredom and curiosity. I honestly thought it was pretty cheesy and cliche when they defeated Nightmare Moon, and I thought the theme song was really girly and annoying. (I love the theme song now, the songs really grew on me once I became a huge fan). However, I watched another episode just for the heck of it, and I loved it!!! I kept watching and the next thing I knew, I was watching all of the first season. So I told my friend who had shown me the aforementioned video, and I told him the show is actually pretty good and he should check it out. So he watched it and he really liked it too.

So by the time I was done with the first season, I was like completely hooked on the show. A couple months later, in December, I came across these forums and I signed up, and now I'm truly part of the brony community. I also told my friend (His username is Little Miss Fluttershy) to join the forums and basically I'm really glad I found this show :)

So my point is basically, yes, I was definitely open-minded enough to watch the show, although I was definitely confused as to why guys would watch My Little Pony because I just thought it was a girly toy franchise. However, in the show I noticed the characters seemed to be like teenagers/young adults, so I thought maybe the show was targeted towards an older audience too, as supposed to strictly little girls.

I told one of my best friends that I'm a brony and he was really judgmental and close-minded. He basically said "that show is for toddler girls blah blah blah...bronies are so stupid and annoying blah blah blah" I asked him, "Have you even seen the show or do you even know anything about it?" He said no, so I told him he can't assume that it's for toddler girls when he hasn't even ever watched it before...he replied, "yes i can cuz it's for toddler girls and bronies are stupid"...He clearly had no idea what the show was like, yet insisted on the fact that it is for "toddler girls" *facepalm*

P.S. Sorry for my super long rant lol

Edited by RainbowDash92
  • Brohoof 1

I was one of those people that started out thinking that the show was stupid and anyone who liked it was stupid

But I'm here now and enjoying it, so you can kinda guess what happened c:

Decided to give it a chance, actually liked it, etc.

• Brohoof 1

I actually first heard of the show in October 2011 when my friend told me about a funny video (youtube poop) of MLP:FIM. I watched it and I thought it actually looked like a decent show from what I could tell ( The animation looked pretty good and it seemed like a genuinely decent show).

I had never even heard of the fan base until I just happened to see a conversation that same day on youtube comments talking about its popularity amongst guys, and I thought "huh that's weird...well it must be pretty good then." Basically these 2 guys were arguing and one was saying like "why do guys watch this wtf" and the other guy said "you can watch full episodes on youtube and i recommend it cause its really good, etc"

So the next day I decided to watch it out of boredom and curiosity. I honestly thought it was pretty cheesy and cliche when they defeated Nightmare Moon, and I thought the theme song was really girly and annoying. (I love the theme song now, the songs really grew on me once I became a huge fan). However, I watched another episode just for the heck of it, and I loved it!!! I kept watching and the next thing I knew, I was watching all of the first season. So I told my friend who had shown me the aforementioned video, and I told him the show is actually pretty good and he should check it out. So he watched it and he really liked it too.

So by the time I was done with the first season, I was like completely hooked on the show. A couple months later, in December, I came across these forums and now I'm truly part of the brony community and I'm so glad I found this show :wub:

So my point is basically, yes, I was definitely open-minded enough to watch the show, although I was definitely confused as to why guys would watch My Little Pony because I just thought it was a girly toy franchise. However, in the show I noticed the characters seemed to be like teenagers/young adults, so I thought maybe the show was targeted towards an older audience too, as supposed to strictly little girls.

I told one of my best friends that I'm a brony and he was really judgmental and close-minded. He basically said "that show is for toddler girls blah blah blah...bronies are so stupid and annoying blah blah blah" I asked him, "Have you even seen the show or do you even know anything about it?" He clearly had no idea what the show was like, yet insisted on the fact that it is for "toddler girls" *facepalm*

So by the time I was done with the first season, I was like completely hooked on the show. A couple months later, in December, I came across these forums and now I'm truly part of the brony community and I'm so glad I found this show :wub:

I told one of my best friends that I'm a brony and he was really judgmental and close-minded. He basically said "that show is for toddler girls blah blah blah...bronies are so stupid and annoying blah blah blah" I asked him, "Have you even seen the show or do you even know anything about it?" He clearly had no idea what the show was like, yet insisted on the fact that it is for "toddler girls" *facepalm*

It's pretty much the same story with me, but I found out about it on my own.

Oh I was curious in a positive way for quite awhile, just didn't have time to check it out until recently. I've enjoyed so-called "kids" shows before (Invader Zim springs to mind), so I was meaning to watch it long before I did. And now I'm hooked forever it seems.

In what video do smosh tell that MLP is awesome I want to see it so badly and I too watched immidiatly after learining about it and the fandom in a cracked article about the 4 weirdest fanbases :P

My curiosity immidiatly kicked in and I went and watched i. To be truthful I kinda expected that I ould like it the moment I started.

Oh no, when I heard of the fanbase, I knew it couldn't be bad. For one the animation looked pretty awesome, and then I read some comments on some meme posts, and it was full of people saying it was well written and not childish nor stupid and such. I checked out some of the posts about ponies, and actually got the idea that it had to be some really cool not girly not childish adventure show.

Man was I dissapointed.

YES. I actually thought the show was BETTER than what is. It's still cute, fun and special, BUT WHY THE HELL DID THEY DEFEAT NIGHTMARE MOON IN EPISODE 2!!!

• Brohoof 1

In what video do smosh tell that MLP is awesome I want to see it so badly and I too watched immidiatly after learining about it and the fandom in a cracked article about the 4 weirdest fanbases :P

My curiosity immidiatly kicked in and I went and watched i. To be truthful I kinda expected that I ould like it the moment I started.

It was not in a video from smosh that said the show was awesome, but smosh pit and the website's members.

I had wanted to watch it for awhile, and sat down one day and watched part of episode 1. I didn't get very far and thought, "Why am i watching this?" and quit about 5mins in. Later i went back (a month or two maybe? Maybe less, idr) because my friend (MrJK) decided to try it to, and finished episode one, then proceeded to watch more and got hooked on it. I guess it was just the initial awkwardness of watching it that stopped me the first time, but when someone i actually knew decided to check it out it was much easier. One of my best decisions ever :D

I was browsing through Funnyjunk when I kept seeing pony pictures. I've been noticing them for quite a while then and noticed quite a bunch of people talking about it.

So I decided to see what all the commotion was about. I went on youtube and watched the first episode, and surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I must have watched up to episode 8 until I had to go to bed... it was that good.

A few days later I finished season 1 in one day (I was on Winter Break then).

And that's how Equestria was made :)

I heard about it on /co/ about six episodes in, and decided to watch one. I continued to follow the episodes as they were released but didn't start to really sink into the fanbase until the Sonic Rainboom. After that, I was hooked.

When I first heard of the show for some reason I didn't make the connection of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and to the My Little Pony I had learned to hate after my sister watching it nonstop.

When I did finally realize what it was I was a little put off at first, but I quickly got over it and decided to give it a chance when I saw a MLP + Ace Attorney crossover video.

Now I'm an even bigger fan of Ace Attorney than I was then, because it's the reason I started watching this AMAZING show! :)

I don't really know... I mean, I watched ponies on my own will. One day on Youtube I came across a My Little Pony short film, and I watched it! Afterwards, I wondered... "What is the show really like? I can only get so much out of these segments!"

I've known about the fanbase for a while, and I held no ill-thoughts towards bronies. I could see why they (now we) like it so much, but it was genuine pure boredom that actually had me watch it the first time. I was sitting, staring at the espeon that was the background of my computer and ocassionally skimming over the many titles of games sitting on my desktop, not wanting to play any of them. I then suddenly got hit with an epiphany and was all, "I feel like seeing what all the fuss about MLP is." I watched the first episode and I thought it was alright. After that I got an urge to do something else, so I watched my random Youtube videos.

A few Toby lazy vlogs later, after MLP had been clawing at the back of my mind, I went back. I devour about 17 episodes before I quit for the morning. I was hooked. And that was just last Saturday. Since then, I've watched all of the episodes released so far, and have embraced my Brony-dom. People I know really shouldn't be all surprised that I like it, considering my tastes in all other things are so eclectic, it just fits into my personality that I like it ^^.

Edited by Eavath

I didn't even know about the show until last year, then I checked it out at the end of November because I was curious about why people liked it so much- I would have watched it sooner if I had known how great the show was before then.

I cant imagine life before ponies now, even though im relatively new (joined beginning of this year). I guess I was a little closed minded about it, and I feel bad to realize that. I thought it was kind of creepy that adult males watch the show. But, I was open (more like curious and bored) enough to watch the first episode, which in turn led to the path of enlightenment. So yes, I dont think I was completely open-minded, but Im not as bad as my friends, who have never seen it and still say its bad.

So when did you find out that there was a fan base? Because the fact that you're a part of this forum is enough to tell me that you know about it

Oh yeah, I know about it now, I knew there was a fan base when I found a MLPwiki that had various links to pony websites and I also read the KYM documentation on ponies.

I didn't hear or know about it until my friend told me about it. He usually was pretty sharp with his anime recommendations so I was open to checking it out. I watched the first 2 eps and liked it a little. It was about a month later until I re-watched the 1st 2 and moved onto Ticket Master and Applebuck Season. Once I did, I finished up season 1 the following 3 days. So I guess I was open-minded at first.

I saw a parody of the show on a channel where Sonic X is parodied, and MLP was an April Fools joke. My friend was a brony. He told me what the show was, and told me to watch. Because I saw the parody and my friend liked it, I got a little interested, but I ignored it until about a month later because I wasn't interested, and then decided to see it without knowing the fanbase or anything. It took me until episode 4 to like it.