Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If the Ponies were ugly and horrible characters?

Bendy

You can say that, but I'm pretty sure the OP was asking about them as if they were separate entities, bro :D

Separate entities, yes, but yeah, I guess it also works that way, but a proper explanation to one part of the story is also a rather great thing to go by. :)  

I've spent a good amount of time browsing alternative / underground comics with intentionally ugly characters. Fascinating stuff, though I'm usually not inclined to buy it.

There are still some video games with cute and pleasant aesthetics. However, I've watched the numbers of video games with a bleak / realistic graphics increase dramatically, and become huge best-sellers. I'm not terribly happy about this trend.

If most characters of Friendship is Magic were abrasive and difficult to look at, I would likely avoid watching the show, and consider it to be just a curiosity.

A better question would've been, if they were ugly, but had the same personalities that they have now, or if they were stunningly beautiful (not saying they're not now, just many times more so), but had flat, boring, annoying personalities would we still watch it?

Hmm... I played the Nintendo DS version of Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, thanks to an English fan translation patch. I liked the character designs. Are the characters compelling, detailed individuals? Not really. But the game as a whole was entertaining.

So yeah, even if Friendship is Magic had forgettable characters who didn't grow much, or achieve much, I might enjoy it just for interesting visuals.

Personally I absolutely love the show's animation style and that's the main reason that I watch it. The jokes and other gags are pretty good, but there have been better on other shows. Plus, the super awesome brony community probably wouldn't have developed if the show's characters were ugly and annoying, or at least it would be much smaller. Good thing the show's characters aren't ugly and annoying  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered this type of thing as well.  Like, let's suppose that the show were exactly the same in every way.  Same animation, same characters, same stories, same endearing messages, but instead of ponies, the main characters are male monkeys.  Or platapuses.  Platapi?  Not sure what the plural is.  Or maybe rhinos.  My Little Rhino: Friendship is Magic.  Who's gonna watch that?  Not me.  People are drawn to cute/beautiful.  It doesn't mean we're completely shallow.  The characters have to be dynamic and have deep and interesting personalities as well in order to be appealing.  But appearance does matter too.  It's the appearance that drew me to the show to begin with, but it's the personalities that keep me coming back.

Edited by Justin_Case001