Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If the Ponies were ugly and horrible characters?

Bendy

I mean really ugly, they look like more like real Ponies than MLP FIM Ponies and their personalities is grotesque like from the soap opera Coronation Street or the worst possible thing you can think of. Like something all the Ponies like listening to Justin Bieber singing.

I think it would result in the Brony fandom not kicking off in the first place. And there would be very few Cloppers. Because if these characters are ugly and have horrible personalities, I would bet there would be very few Cloppers. Would I be right?

-----------------------------------

But that's not the case, the MLP FIM Ponies are super.. super cute and look like Humans and have wonderful diverse personalities. Which results in some Bronies like myself thinking the Ponies are no different in what Commander Shepard views his sapient alien babes. The Ponies in the show are clearly sapient and behave more like Humans than Ponies. So, romantic feelings and emotional attachment may come to some Bronies watching this show.

Edited by Rush

I can only speak for myself, but I'm a bit shallow, and not afraid to admit it.
I'm shallow when it comes tot his show, anyway. I'm drawn to Derpy because of her eyes and colour scheme, for example. She also has that wonderfully innocent personality and voice, which only make her all the more irresistable to me personally.
In my case, your assumption would be correct.
They're DESIGNED to look impossibly cute, which is one of the major keys to the series' success, so of course the show'd be a lot less popular if the ponies looked less attractive.

Edited by Derp My Life

as stated above, the show wouldn't be popular if everything was just ugly and bad.

but what would be the point in making a show revolving around bad personalities and ugly character designs? there are reasons MLP is what it is today.

Edited by repsol rave

You mean like the entire Pony.Mov series? XD

(i'd totally watch that)

Edited by Malinter

There would be no brony fandom without good characters. This is like asking "what if chocolate tasted like giraffe asshole" or "what if Pauly Shore had taken Tim Robbins' place in The Shawshank Redemption" or "what if Sarah Palin was President". The answer is in the question. 

Then the show wouldn't be popular.

Simple as that :D

Can you even imagine what you'd be doing now? 

Edited by Something Floaty
  • Brohoof 2

A better question would've been, if they were ugly, but had the same personalities that they have now, or if they were stunningly beautiful (not saying they're not now, just many times more so), but had flat, boring, annoying personalities would we still watch it?

Edited by Princess of the Sun

Then things would be the same as they were during G3, there would be clop because hell there is clop of even G1 and yes even G3 characters (I wasn't looking for it but I did find it while looking for well know) but not very much of it. The brony fandom would not exist and even if it did you wouldn't have a significant chunk of said fandom with crushes on the characters. 

I think the problem is that you are going to extremes.  If the artwork were a little worse the show might have still done fine.  For anything though, there comes a certain level of repugnance that no amount of writing can overcome.

Well, isn't it obvious? No one would watch it accordingly.

Then the show wouldn't be popular.

Simple as that :D

However, a show doesn't have to be good looking or spectacular to look at.

Just look at The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, a show based on very aged and not good looking CGI animation.

Cast-of-the-adventures-of-jimmy-neutron-

The show aged horribly in terms of looks and animation, but it still remains funny and well written!

This is an example when looks don't matter in a cartoon, it's all about the presentation and writing. :)  

Well, isn't it obvious? No one would watch it accordingly.

However, a show doesn't have to be good looking or spectacular to look at.

Just look at The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, a show based on very aged and not good looking CGI animation.

Cast-of-the-adventures-of-jimmy-neutron-

The show aged horribly in terms of looks and animation, but it still remains funny and well written!

This is an example when looks don't matter in a cartoon, it's all about the presentation and writing. :)  

"If the ponies were ugly and horrible characters" :D

He's basically saying that what if the ponies looked like crap and they were boring/bitchy characters? :D

Not solely focusing on the appearance, you know :D

"If the ponies were ugly and horrible characters" :D

He's basically saying that what if the ponies looked like crap and they were boring/bitchy characters? :D

Not solely focusing on the appearance, you know :D

Emphasis on the word WERE. ^_^

I get the point, but I was mostly emphasizing the ugly part mostly, looks don't matter as long as it's written well ya know?  :)

Emphasis on the word WERE. ^_^

I get the point, but I was mostly emphasizing the ugly part mostly, looks don't matter as long as it's written well ya know?  :)

1.) Emphasis on the word were, indeed, because the ponies from the show are neither of those two things.

2.) Well, you make a valid point, but the topic at hand wasn't asking if it were one or the other :derp: It was asking if it was both :D

1.) Emphasis on the word were, indeed, because the ponies from the show are neither of those two things.

2.) Well, you make a valid point, but the topic at hand wasn't asking if it were one or the other :derp: It was asking if it was both :D

But it IS both in a way.  ^_^

You see, looks also depend on the actions and style of the show, for example, I could say the show looks "mean" emphasizing that it looks to be rude in a sort of manner no one can appreciate.

Or the show looks "awful" to say that it's BOTH great or pretty to look at in terms of looks and presentation.

So in a way, it can be introduced both way if thought out clearly like I just did right now. Just saying.  :)

tumblr_mtnts4B3wD1qi4y5no1_r1_400.gif

But it IS both in a way.  ^_^

You see, looks also depend on the actions and style of the show, for example, I could say the show looks "mean" emphasizing that it looks to be rude in a sort of manner no one can appreciate.

Or the show looks "awful" to say that it's BOTH great or pretty to look at in terms of looks and presentation.

So in a way, it can be introduced both way if thought out clearly like I just did right now. Just saying.  :)

You can say that, but I'm pretty sure the OP was asking about them as if they were separate entities, bro :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39