Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Theories of the Rainboom

CosmicHooves

(edited)

So we all know how Rainbow Dash caused her big sonic rainboom right?

Well why?

Why is it when Rainbow Dash breaks the sound barrier she lets out a circular cloud of Rainbow?

Here's my theory:

There are many Pegasi in many different types of colors.

The color of Rainbow Dash's mane is rainbow.

Therefore, when she broke the sound barrier the air being forced back was dyed rainbow.

Maybe?

Am I close?

Anypony have a better theory?

post-25645-0-70598300-1400535984_thumb.jpg

Edited by SC00TS
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I believe it's because they move so fast, that the color reflects off their bodies when they break the sound barrier. KA BOOOOOOM! 
Like a nuclear bomb or something? ^^'

Edited by Princess PeachBlink
  • Brohoof 2

I think the Sonic Rainboom should be different colors relating to the mane or color of the Pegasus who did it. Now I myself ask If the Rainboom is an equivalent to a Sonic Boom when you break the sound barrier then could or should there be a move past it for say the speed of light? I mean think about it for a minute, the way it's done, the ring is a perfect example of the shockwave of a Sonic Boom. So if I'm will use Rainbow Dash as an example here. So say she did a Rainboom but keeps speeding up would she turn into like a rainbow color Lightning Bolt like on her cutie mark at a certain speed? But then again that's just my ever curious mind at work.

• Brohoof 2

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the light spectrum, and going faster than the speed of light. ^^

Maybe the "BOOM!" is like breaking a hole in light itself? ^^

• Brohoof 2

Here's my theory:

There are many Pegasi in many different types of colors.

The color of Rainbow Dash's mane is rainbow.

Therefore, when she broke the sound barrier the air being forced back was dyed rainbow.

Maybe?

Am I close?

Anypony have a better theory?

I have exactly the same theory.

For example, if Fluttershy does a sonic rainboom, the circular cloud would be pink! :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the light spectrum, and going faster than the speed of light. ^^

Well the issue there is you would pass the sound barrier and after you pass the speed of sound another sonic boom would be impossible. Plus you would not be visible after passing the speed of light. Since we can see Rainbow Dash after she does it so it meas a Rainboom is slower the light speed.

• Brohoof 1

Well the issue there is you would pass the sound barrier and after you pass the speed of sound another sonic boom would be impossible. Plus you would not be visible after passing the speed of light. Since we can see Rainbow Dash after she does it so it meas a Rainboom is slower the light speed.

She does exceed Mach 10, I believe, I think that's faster than light? ^^"

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

She does exceed Mach 10, I believe, I think that's faster than light?

First things first nothing can go faster than the speed of light that has already been proven.

Now to adress the question at hand, the sonic rainboom is when rainbowdash successfully breaks the speed of sound reaching mach 1. When this happens in the show a rainbow circle comes out spreading from where the point she reached mach 1 was. This circle is actually the sound of the sonic boom. Now for the reason it is a flaming rainbow. It is likely that the sound wave is pulling along a molecule causing the fire affect and the reason it is colored rainbow is because it comes from a rainbow colored character.

Either way we do have to remember this is a cartoon and anything can happen.

Edit: sorry my information was wrong, there are some things that can go faster than the speed of light but that are only particles, rainbowdash can't achieve that speed.

Edited by child of the night
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

She does exceed Mach 10, I believe, I think that's faster than light? ^^"

No light speed is about Mach 881742

First things first nothing can go faster than the speed of light that has already been proven.

Now to adress the question at hand, the sonic rainboom is when rainbowdash successfully breaks the speed of sound reaching mach 1. When this happens in the show a rainbow circle comes out spreading from where the point she reached mach 1 was. This circle is actually the sound of the sonic boom. Now for the reason it is a flaming rainbow. It is likely that the sound wave is pulling along a molecule causing the fire affect and the reason it is colored rainbow is because it comes from a rainbow colored character.

Either way we do have to remember this is a cartoon and anything can happen.

Edit: sorry my information was wrong, there are some things that can go faster than the speed of light but that are only particles, rainbowdash can't achieve that speed.

the largest issue of surpassing the speed if light is Molecular separation. You run the risk of say having you head attached to your hand or your leg could wind up in a whole different location. Edited by Lunarpony
  • Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie gives us the best canon definition of a sonic rainboom as: "When a Pegasus like Rainbow Dash gets going so fast...BOOM! A sonic boom and a rainbow can happen at the same time!"

It's unclear what she means by "a Pegasus like Rainbow Dash". If she is referring to Dash's colour scheme, then I would agree with the posts in this thread which attribute the rainbow to mane colour. But she might just mean a Pegasus who, like Rainbow Dash, is very fast. I personally feel that if if mane colour were a factor, Pinkie would have just said that. She might also have simply been referring to the fact that Rainbow Dash is a Pegasus. That was an early episode, so maybe the writers were just establishing the fact that "Pegasus" is the name given to the race of winged ponies.

• Brohoof 1

The color will be unique to each pegasai. If Twilight broke it, her trail would be the colors of her mane: purple and pink. So it would just be called a regular sonic boom for Twilight and all other non rainbow-maned pegasai. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Here is my theory: Pegasi have a pallet of different mane and tail colors, rainbow happened to have a multicolored pallet (please note rainbow is not a color, it's a multicolor) It is amazing she's been able to fly jet speed with so much horsepower (no pun intended), but you would have to have a ridiculous amount of speed to have a sonic boom to leave an air trail dyed the same color as your own hair, so not only has she broken the sound barrier, but she might've broken the color spectrum causing her to leave a rainbow trail, but again she has left this trail with just speed in general, (i.e) one of her fly by's. So this could mean that rainbows mane and tail is somehow connected to the color spectrum. But who knows, maybe rainbow's hair was mixed with skittles somehow when she was little.

post-27080-0-00691600-1401008946_thumb.jpg

Edited by SparkFlare
  • Brohoof 1

There's just one problem with the sonic rainboom being the color of the pony's mane theory: 

If the color of the explosion depends on the color of the mane, It can't be called a sonic rainboom since usually the color wouldn't be a rainbow. Just saying.

• Brohoof 1

There's just one problem with the sonic rainboom being the color of the pony's mane theory: 

If the color of the explosion depends on the color of the mane, It can't be called a sonic rainboom since usually the color wouldn't be a rainbow. Just saying.

Maybe they called it like that because Rainbow Dash was the first pegasus to do one?

• Brohoof 1

I saw someone give like a really in depth response about how Dash's mane color doesn't affect the sonic rainboom or something and that all pegasi would do it like that. Idk if it's accurate or not and now I don't remember what they said

• Brohoof 1

When Twilight was flying super fast in "Twilight's Kingdom", a trail of her mane color followed her. However, if Twilight did a sonic rainboom, it would probably be a rainbow just like Rainbow Dash's rainboom. It would make sense because all flying ponies (pegasi and alicorns) have the magic to produce and display rainbows. Sonic rainbooms put out a pegasus' magic when said pagasus breaks the sound barrier. That makes sense, right? B)

• Brohoof 1