Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Firefly/MLP crossover drawings

Frith is Magick

(edited)

Take my love, take my land,

take me where I cannot stand.

I don't care, I'm still free

My love for Firefly was recently reawakened (though it never truly slept), and while listening to the theme song, inspiration hit. The characters translate to 'Serenity', which is why I chose Fluttershy for this one. The shading was lazy, and I feel like I messed up the mane and tail, but can't figure out specifically how (yet). I would like to hear your comments and critiques, thanks for stopping by.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take Flutters from me  ;)

Edited by Frith is Magick
  • Brohoof 6

I can't tell if that's Chinese or Kanji...
Chinese (mandarin, to be specific), hence the first character being simplified. 

Best part of taking a semester of Chinese: watching Firefly counted as studying.

• Brohoof 2

Pretty good overall, couple of little things:

-The head is a bit too large

-the muzzle is angled a bit too low

-the frontlegs look a bit awkward, in slow flight pegasi's frontlegs tend to revert to a relaxed position

-the taiil looks like it attaches a bit too low

Hope I didn't encourage you too badly.

Keep on artin' :)

• Brohoof 1

Pretty good overall, couple of little things: -The head is a bit too large -the muzzle is angled a bit too low -the frontlegs look a bit awkward, in slow flight pegasi's frontlegs tend to revert to a relaxed position -the taiil looks like it attaches a bit too low   Hope I didn't encourage you too badly. Keep on artin'
Awesome, thank you for the tips. I originally meant for the head to be larger for the angle, but ended up not drawing the body to match (now that I think of it, the muzzle doesn't match the angle of the head, maybe that's why it is angled low). 
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
the muzzle doesn't match the angle of the head, maybe that's why it is angled low).

It's a really easy mistake to make; still happens to me if I don't pay attention.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

You can tell she's not afraid of anything.

This one was quick (15 min.) and, like the last one, the result of a random burst of inspiration. Fortunately it was simple, leaving fewer places to screw up, but it's far from perfect. I think the head is too big again, I really need to revisit basic proportions. As always, thanks for taking the time to stop by, I welcome comments and critiques (quick pieces are admittedly not really worthy, but it's appreciated nonetheless).

• Brohoof 2

(quick pieces are admittedly not really worthy

All pieces are worthy, if they help you learn ;)

The wings and tail came out nicely, especially considering the perspective.

-the neck is a bit too thick, particularly where it meets the head

-the hooves need a bit of work, so that they don't appear too narrow (again, this happens very easily in this perspective).

Also, if you're looking for ideas, I suggest a pony of your choice playing with dinosaur toys (you know the scene).

I really need to revisit basic proportions

I highly advice printing this gem out and having it at hand while drawing; it' a huge help.

post-3492-0-24441100-1339620452_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
  The wings and tail came out nicely, especially considering the perspective. -the neck is a bit too thick, particularly where it meets the head -the hooves need a bit of work, so that they don't appear too narrow (again, this happens very easily in this perspective).   Also, if you're looking for ideas, I suggest a pony of your choice playing with dinosaur toys (you know the scene).  

I highly advice printing this gem out and having it at hand while drawing; it' a huge help.

Thank you, once again. I see what you mean about the neck; front view is something I need more practice with. The hooves were just me being lazy, though her left foreleg was especially bad. As for the anatomy page, I have that one, and never approach a serious drawing without it. As for your suggested topic, that seems like a fun challenge, I like the idea.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you to Silverwisp the Bard for the suggestion.

:okiedokielokie: Gods, this one sucks. Ah well, it was fun.

I have a list of ideas for my current Firefly/MLP theme. I thought I needed a muse to get me drawing, and this series seems like just the thing to kick me out of my slump. It will be a while before I can match the quality of my best work (which admittedly isn't good, but is still my best by a good margin), but here's to a (hopefully) fun journey.

As always, thanks for stopping by.

• Brohoof 3

Members Posted Today, 02:42 AM Thank you to Silverwisp the Bard for the suggestion.

You- You're welcome :blush: .

Love Pinkie's expression in this one. And the toys (very  show-esque looking).

Keep up the good work :).

(edited)

Hey there, @Frith is Magick. Just letting you know that I merged three of your fan art topics upon your request, resulting in this single topic. If you ever want that undone for any reason, feel free to PM me.

Edited by SCS
Updated information
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
The two best shows in all time,

No arguments there.

I just posted a non-pony Firefly WIP. Because it isn't pony I won't add it to this thread, but if anyone is interested, here it is (it sucks though). </shameless_self_promotion>

This pony is Firefly, supposed creator of the Wonderbolts, in case anyone didn't know. Either the body is too long or the legs are too thin. The mane and tail shading is meh. Critique and advice welcome, thanks for stopping by.

Side note: despite getting back in practice, I find I am not nearing my personal best. Ah well, more practice needed then!

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a while. Well, here's one more.

I'm not going to lie, I got bored near the end, so the bonnet was done really feckin' lazily. Ya'll know the drill, feedback & critique welcome, and thank you for checking this out.

spired by Chrysalis' planning in A Canterlot Wedding

The headshapes are good, the bodies look a bit stiff.

Pay attention to the the necks (they should get thinner towards the neck).

The eyes could use some more shading/gradient.

The legs of the frontlegs of the left changeling are a bit wonky (that being said, front perspective is tricky for ponies).

Lay out the placements of the hoove early, to avoid perspective weirdness from occuring.

nother one in the collection.

The face is well done, the rest needs woork.

Overall I'd say this ha#s the look of being build up as flat forms, rather than being constructed as threedimensional shapes, if that makes any sense.

Keep up the good work.

• Brohoof 1