Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

15 Styles of Distorted Thinking

Clarity

I discovered this on Tumblr and thought it quite fascinating.

tumblr_mode5s3KVR1s5w578o1_1280.png

Are you guilty of any of this? Personally, I think I have Fallacy of Change and maybe some aspects of Catastrophizing and Personalization; in fact, I have probably been guilty of all of the categories at least once in my life. I definitely see a lot of these qualities in some other people more than in me, which may be an arrogant way of thinking—another fallacy, perhaps. I admit it. :huh: 

• Brohoof 5

All of these are essential basics of psychotherapy. Psychotherapists usually use exercises to get people to identify their own distortions and how to combat them over time.

Of course, even a perfectly normal person will come across some form of distortion once in awhile as well.

A lot of personalization. I have issues with my ego and arrogance and while I try to keep them under control they come out in the most passive aggressive manner possible, which means I'm constantly sizing myself up against others in every way possible. It's exhausting, to be honest. It makes it hard for me to just let go and enjoy myself when I'm constantly worrying over 'being the best'.

>List leaves out Hedonistic thinking, doing things only for physical pleasure and that alone.

>dropped.avi

But to reply to the OP, I do tend to fall into the lists definition of "personalization", as I oft strive to be the best, even often to negative consequences.

Mind Reading, Catastrophing, Personalization, Should and Fallacy of change.

I'm especially ashamed of the mind reading thing. I jump to conclusions quite easily. :(

i guess i'm guilty of the 'mind reading' one, but i usually base those assumptions on observations of the language people use, how it's said, how they carry themselves, and their body language, i don't consider it mind reading

but im definitely guilty of Being Right, as anyone that's ever met me will testify XD

I am guilty of the should distorted thinking. I try to put myself in their shoes and be more tolerant to combat this. When I get tired or frustrated this falls apart, and I really get trapped in this kind of thinking. I tend to come off as cold hearted when this happens, but that is really the opposite of who I really am.

Castastrophizing is a big one for me, though I like to think of it as "Murphy's Law" and "Better Safe Than Sorry". Also "Being Right". I like to think of myself as open-minded and strive to be so, but sometimes it's easy click into debate mode or continue to the bitter end for the fun of it, sadly that type of thing doesn't always pan out well on T3h Interwebz. 

Everybody has some distortion, and that's what makes things interesting. Like most things, problems arise from extremes. May we never live in a world with perfectly undistorted thinking.

• 8 years later...

I do have these traits.

• Filtering: can’t help it being pessimistic. 
  • polarizing: arrogant happens
  • catastrophizing: I’m just a very cautious person.
  • Control fallacies: I wish I can shut that voice up, it taken up too much space. 
  • Fallacy of fairness: with good intentions comes with a fault.
  • Being right: arrogant happens again.
  • Heaven’s reward: what comes around goes around even rewards.

sometimes I do admit some of these thought traits, are toxic to myself and others. While the other halfway are beneficial.