movies/tv Who are your favorite animators?

LIndaVonRee

So who are your favorite animators and why?

I personally am a huuuuuuuuge fan of Hiroyuki Imaishi and Sushio

Both of these guys have worked before on some popular animes such as FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Evangelion, Panty and Stocking, Little Witch Academia, Kill La Kill and more~!

Hiroyuki Imaishi is one of my favorite due to his really smooth and somewhat western-style inspired animation. The transitions he tends to do between poses are rather silly are most of the time but this is what makes his style look so nice and smooth sometimes. 

Sushio probably doesn't have an animation as smooth as Imaishi, however I simply adore his drawing style and character designs, the expressions he uses on a lot of his characters are hilarious as well, yet his style can seem so simple sometimes.

I just look up to both of this guys a lot haha

so who are your favorites?

they don't necessarily have to be japanese, just any animators in general. 

2D, 3D, you name it~! 

• Brohoof 2

Oh i can give you a variety of them, but pretty much the animators who did the Disney films from the 80's and 90's, animators who obviously did MLP:FIM, and some from anime.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm I'm not sure but whoever animates MLP haha!!

Whoever animates pokemon and mlp.

Oh i can give you a variety of them, but pretty much the animators who did the Disney films from the 80's and 90's, animators who obviously did MLP:FIM, and some from anime.

This.

I love when people speak for me,before i can even think to speak the spoken words that need be spoken.

• Brohoof 1

Studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki

BONES (Darker Than Black, Fullmetal Alchemist, Xam'd, Towa no Quon)

Sunrise (The Vision of Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star)

Toei Animation (Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, One Piece, Fist of the North Star)

Max Fleischer (Popeye, Betty Boop)

Tex Avery

Chuck Jones

• 10 years later...

Rod Scribner's animation was great! I especially love what he did under Bob Clampett's direction, though his work for Robert McKimson was good too. There's a liveliness and energy to it that I haven't seen elsewhere. :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Miyazaki, Hideaki Anno, Mitsuo Iso, Yuki Hayashi, Michael Dante DiMartino, Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Matt Groening.

I feel like it’s kinda hard to pick specific animators because most projects aren’t just done by one or a few people like with Manga. But rather a full studio with dozens of people involved.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 1

Definitely the folks over at Studio Trigger who worked on my favorite anime, Gurren Lagann, among others 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's hard to differentiate between animators and the studio they work for. 

But I'll juts kind of mix them together for the sake of this thread.

Here are some honorable mentions, in no particular order:

Hayao Miyazaki. he really brings life to his characters by adding little touches that no one ever seemed to think about until he came along. he gives his art true life.

Makoto Shinkai. Another masterful creator of animation. His characters are instantly recognizable and relatable, and his stories are beyond words.

Mamoru Hosoda, I love the way he animates facial expressions, especially the eyes. he has a characteristic style for animating blinking and looking around. Very cool.

Chuck Jones. The master of the facial expression. he can do more with a wild take than most others can do in a page and a half of script.

Bob Clampett. A certifiable lunatic and one of my favorites. You can always tell his distinctive crazy style by the stretched eyes of his characters. Zany to the marrow of his bones.

Tex Avery. Another glorious lunatic with a manic style that few could ever aspire to. 

Glen Keane. As individual animators go, \he's one of my favorites. he has a great loose style that really brings his characters to life.

Andreas Deja. I love his female characters. His specialty has always been females and it's easy to see why. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

16 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Glen Keane

Glen Keane helped bring  Rapunzel to life! We owe him A LOT of thanks for that! image.gif.5a481297be0925a40ee84422326d21f5.gif

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1