When does Luna actually sleep?

ManaMinori

In a few episodes, we've seen her at royal events with her sister, interacting with others during the daytime (she's even seen up in the day, in the season 4 opening), but in "A Canterlot Wedding", she brings up the moon and urges Celestia to rest; that 'as always, she will guard the night'.

But...well, what's she really guarding the night from? Most villains, from what we've seen, carry out their attacks on Canterlot/ the Crystal empire, ect. during the day. And in the pilot episode of season 1, we've seen that ponies in Equestria sleep during Luna's night.

Not to mention that in order for Luna to use her dreamwalking ability (as she did with Scoootaloo and Sweetie Belle), then Luna , too, most likely, would have to be asleep and dreaming, herself...wouldn't she? But if she's supposed to be guarding the night....then why is she sleeping at night, when both of the episodes where she has access to fillies' dreams are at night? So is she standing guard at night, or is she sleeping at night?) Or, as portrayed in the comics, is she sleeping during the day (and apparently, probably only being woken up to attend daytime royal events that require her presence?)

Under the Jellicle Moon- a site with cuteness, cat boys, and comic strips / Star Dreams Fanclub

(edited)

Villains can also attack during the night, who knows?

I think that Luna sleeps during the day, stands guard at night, and that she's awake when she uses her dreamwalking ability. (I guess she uses her magic to do it)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Perhaps she has a polyphasic sleep cycle and has short sleep bursts. This could explain the times where villains have slipped by her night watch, she may have been having a 20 minute nap. I don't really think she'd need to be asleep to use her dream walking ability though, that would be pretty inconvenient.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 3

She sleeps during the day im pretty sure,and i doubt she needs to be asleep to dreamwalk.

And after all that commotion during a canterlot wedding,she must be a heavy sleeper...  :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

sig-27460.i2QLbt3.jpgOatmeal, are you crazy?!

"Silly, you are already under my control."- Pinkie Pie
Signature made by me, because resistance truly is futile, silly.

Currently still undergoing maintenance. Yes, i can do that, im a program, silly.

It seems that Luna is pretty much nocturnal- perhaps she is awake when she visits dreams. She spends her nights on duty like she always had. She's the princess of the night, haha. But then again, some kings and queens and other royalty have been known to go outside sleep schedules for royal duties or events. So when she has to, like when we saw her in the Crystal Empire in broad daylight, she'll be awake for a while.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

She just sleeps whenever something important happens.

Princess_Luna_did_I_miss_S2E26.pngDid I miss anything?

Princess_Luna_serious_S3E1.pngUnless you've got a role for me, you can count me the f**k outta this one.

Princess_Celestia_%26_Princess_Luna_are_I'm so happy for her! Because of her, I didn't have to do anything!

Twilight_and_Luna_%22want_to_do_all_thatF**k, I'm tired.

Edited by ~Happy Gilda (WCP)
  • Brohoof 2

By the logic of things, she must be sleeping by daytime and be awake by night. But the same question is when do I sleep- it’s 4:20 AM here now and I’m still awake. And I will be awake by daytime nevertheless. The solution is simple- sometimes I sleep more, sometimes less (if it needed) and so- I’m awake by day and night. I suppose princess Luna have the same.

• Brohoof 2

554333_original.jpg

She sleeps whenever she feels like it. But if you'd like to know where, it's probably at the end of your bed right next to your feet when you sleep. She counts your toes and braids your hair and sleeps next to you then leaves.

I don't care what pony you like because I like everypony!

I don't know how healthy it is, but you can train yourself to only need two hours sleep a day. 

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

What absolutely no one is considering is that she needs no sleep. I mean, she's an alicorn who's a master of sleep-based magic; how hard could it be to create a spell that allows you to never sleep when you have that much power at your disposal?

• Brohoof 1

princess_luna_is_sleeping_angel_by_alexm

:lol:

What absolutely no one is considering is that she needs no sleep. I mean, she's an alicorn who's a master of sleep-based magic; how hard could it be to create a spell that allows you to never sleep when you have that much power at your disposal?

Despite the adorable fanart, I agree with this. After all, she obviously figured out how to enter ponies' dreams, and she has enough magic in her to raise and lower the moon every day and night without running out.

• Brohoof 4

It's possible that she doesn't need sleep, but we know that Celestia does sleep so I would awesome, as some have said, that she sleeps when she can. I don't see this as being much different than many of us.

Princess Twilight Sparkle: Princess of Friendship

Princess Luna: Princess of the Night

My short stories

(edited)

Well she likely sleeps partly by day (if you know what I mean) she is known to (guard the night) so in most cases she sleeps by day than night or sleeps whenever it is possible to do so. (when she has time)

also well I'm pretty sure it's best she guard the night  knowing Equestria you never know if anything actually would happen so it's best to keep on check.

She sleeps whenever she feels like it. But if you'd like to know where, it's probably at the end of your bed right next to your feet when you sleep. She counts your toes and braids your hair and sleeps next to you then leaves.

Man that would be adorable. :3

Edited by Everleaf
  • Brohoof 1

The deepest of the Everfree!

• 2 weeks later...

She sleeps in the day, and does her job at night.

She's only awake in the day during special events, sort of like how people stay up 'till 3am on Christmas or something.

img-24134-1-img-24134-1-Sscj1oz.png

Maybe Luna is like the Death from Discworld - he can be in everytime he want when ever he want. So he could be in 2 places in one time.

Crazy theory, but I haven't got anything better :D

Or...

She can no sleep during f.e. 2 days and in 3rd day sleep a lot?

Of course we must remember, that Equestria seems to be a country, not a whole world (only if Saddle Arabia etc. aren't a provinces), so she doesn't need to work around all world.

Methinks, morning/day-sleeping is the most logical and probable explanation. I know it’s not easy being awake during both day and night. But who said being a princess is easy? ;)

554333_original.jpg

I'd always assumed she physically enters dreams via some kind of dream world. So, NOT like Inception. That way, she wouldn't need to be asleep herself.

It's possible that she and Celestia don't need sleep. She's only ever mentioned that Celestia needs to "rest", which could just mean like a short trance kind of thingie.

It needs more exploring in the show, though.

Happy minion of The Fabulous One!

img-2257-1-sig-2257.sig-2257.sig-2257.Full_Spectrum2_2.jpg

Signature by Midnightive

Check out my blog! https://mlpforums.com/blog/1083-sunny-side-den/

I've been more of the late night person before. Sometimes, I stay up until 2 am in the morning and wake up by 11 am on the same morning. That's a total of 9 hours for me. When there's nothing to do, I simply go to sleep by 10:30 pm at night and wake up by 9 am in the morning. about 11 hours and 30 minutes of sleep. I do think that Luna has some sort of spell that would keep her up at night and quickly replenish her body for daytime duties, cutting her sleep time in half so she could help out Celestia carry out daytime duties as well as guarding the night. 

post-27780-0-08659700-1404312872.gif