Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Twilight and Cadance's relationship more formal now?

ggg-2

(edited)

In season 4, the most casual interaction between the two was in Three's a Crowd, and perhaps Equestria Games, and moreover, in Trade Ya! and Inspiration Manifestation, Twilight calls her Princess Cadance, instead of just Cadance, as she would in the past.

Edited by ggg-2
  • Brohoof 1

Well there's a difference between what people (and ponies, I assume) call each other and how they address each other. When Twilight called her Princess Cadence, she was talking about her to somepony else, somepony whose relationship with Cadence is more formal. But she's less formal with speaking directly with her.

It's like how parents greet each other by their first names, but refer to each other by last names when speaking with their own children; i.e., I'd address my friend as John, but if I was talking about him with my hypothetical kids, I'd call him Mr. Smith.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight shows a tendency to under value her own royalty as she did with the Duke and Duchess of Maretonia. She bowed to them when by all rights they should have bowed first or at least at the same time. Likewise, as was mentioned above, during Three's a Crowd Twilight fell for Cadence's bit of trolling when she was too formal to her. Perhaps her doing this is simply an example of her insecurity as a Princess, but it gets old really quickly and I think the Princess doth protest too much.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

yes, but i'm watching three's a crowd right now, and Twilight's friends don't call her Princess Cadance, just Cadance.

Well there's a difference between what people (and ponies, I assume) call each other and how they address each other. When Twilight called her Princess Cadence, she was talking about her to somepony else, somepony whose relationship with Cadence is more formal. But she's less formal with speaking directly with her.

It's like how parents greet each other by their first names, but refer to each other by last names when speaking with their own children; i.e., I'd address my friend as John, but if I was talking about him with my hypothetical kids, I'd call him Mr. Smith.

Kind of what Penny Benny said, but more to reiterate a point.  Twilight's friends call Cadence by her first name because they feel that they are close fiends with each other, in-formalities are common amongst close friends, there is no need to address title really amongst close friends.  The only reason Twilight likes to use "Princess" with Cadence is because Twilight is used to being formal, she is used to having a rather obvious structured hierarchy in her life, something she learned over her life; but Cadence would prefer to drop the formalities because she feels they are much closer friends with each other and don't need to keep up appearances, especially in the company of close friends.  If it was a more dignified situation, probably formalities would be kept, but it's just two old pony friends going out to a fair, nothing major.

Well, Twilight is a stickler for the rules and formality. You saw how she was in "Grand Galloping Gala." She stood right there with Celestia; introducing herself to each and every guest.

With Cadence, well, yeah it is kinda formal, but their relationship goes back to years of friendship. They're close like sisters, so it makes perfect sense that they don't deal with formalities there too much. However, in more cases than not, she refers to Celestia & Luna in more formal tones, so yeah.

They are still as they were.They only show formality when not behind closed doors or in situations where formality is required. Ofc Cadence does tease Twilight a little by using her formal title at the drop of a hat on occasion XD

(edited)

Twilight prefers to keep things formal at all times but Cadance also seems to prefer formality when they meet which makes me think that it will get more formal over time.

Not really.

In "Threes a Crowd" When Cadance got off the train, she said "Your Highness" Twilight hesitated and bowed as well. Cadance giggled at Twilight for being so formal. Cadance then said"We're sisters in law, we don't have to be so formal."

So, Cadance likes to keep things "Royalty Free" and just "hang out" with her sister in law. Keeping any kind of formality to a minimum. Though when she talks/addresses Luna or Celestia, of course Twilight and Cadance are gonna be formal towards them because they're Godesses.

Edited by :Flutterdash: