Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever converted anyone to the herd?

Pumpkinbot

I did it by complete accident one day since I firmly believe that making an active attempt to "convert" people is an exercise in both futility and social maladjustment. I had just gotten an iPhone and I was at Stage Crew one afternoon, helping set up props and costumes, making sure they were all prim and proper for the show later that night. One of my subordinates, a sophomore that I was decent friends with, asked if both if I had his number and if he could see my phone.

I handed the device over to him. "Yeah, just add yourself in my Contacts and I'll show you it in a bit!" Being a bit jumpy, said kid added himself and then hit the Home button to play with my disappointingly scarce amount of apps. My Home screen wallpaper is one of Rarity - it's attached! - and being Internet literate as a result of hanging out with me and my friends, the kid noticed it immediately. A look of shock and awe struck his face. "Y-You're a brony!? You? That's so cool!"

At this point, I'm desperately trying to explain to him that it's really not too big a deal and that he's making a bit of a scene. Having established myself as something of a role model for a few students where I study - himself included! - my capacity to enjoy something like MLP:FiM came as something of a dynamic shock to him. Fleshed me out a bit, made me more sensitive and relatable, I suppose. After he had calmed down a bit, he began to pepper me with trivia about the fandom and the show and what it's like being a brony and how you "do it right." It was a delightful conversation, in retrospect, and I was able to make it clear to a potential brony from the very exposition of their fandom that there are certain faux pas that are to be avoided such as "trying to convert your friends actively even if they show no interest" and "incessantly dropping references to the show in idle conversation that no one gets but you."

A couple of days ago, the same kid comes up to me during our strike session wearing a Rainbow Dash tee under his sweatshirt. "Hey, Franky, I watched through the entire first season! It was great, I think I truly might be a brony!"

And so it began...

'twas ever so fun, the conversations that followed. He maintains that Fluttershy is best pony and loathes Rarity whereas I'm the exact opposite. We discussed the show, the fandom, the realms of the fandom, Equestria Daily, user generated content and a few other things. What made it truly fun was the fact that our bronydom was not the defining factor to our interaction. No, rather, it was a supplement to an already enjoyable experience that made things more connected and fun. He's considering joining a few communities online and I might steer him here if he asks for my assistance. Cool kid, he is. Very amiable, spunky even.

So yeah, that's my shtick. I accidentally made a brony and I wouldn't have done as much any other way.

Possibly.

While visiting my girlfriend, I got her to watch some episodes. She seemed to get more interested the more episodes we watched together. She may not "convert," but I think she does at least enjoy the show. Either way, I couldn't be more happy.

I was alone in liking the show for quite some time until I finally decided that enough was enough and showed mlp to some of my closest friends. I was fearing rejection, but like many other times I was foolish to believe they would judge me. At first they were hesitant like so many others are when the first see the show, but now I have bronies at my side. It is really quite great because I no longer have to come to the forums to relate with other people who like the show. (Don't worry, the forums are just as good as talking to people in real life) Though they might not be as in to the show as I am it's still nice to be myself around them.

I converted 1 of my friends but failed with 3 others, three 3 that failed all openly toke to but found it to childish even though they watched ever episode in season 1, my one friend I did convert was the hardest to get to watch the show for he kept thinking of how g3 was

I watch it in the morning before I go to school, and I may have accidentally got my mom into watching the show...

like one day I was sick, and I didn't come out of my room till 7:45(after she left) and it was on TV.

I just watched it while she was there and apparently she likes it now... :blink:

Lol. Not really... I have one friend that watched a little bit of it after she saw I liked it and she said she enjoyed it, but she hasn't talked about it since.

Perhaps... perhaps... Though, even if I did I would never know. So many of the people here(that I all hate) are never very open about their personal lives, and wouldn't tell me anything even if it meant their lives...

I have the best one. I have a friend that has the nickname "ponyboy" that he absolutely hates, and he knows I'm a brony. I made a joke that if he watched the show and liked it that nickname would never go away. That delayed his watching the show by a week but then he said "fine, I'll watch it and hate it and get this over with and get rid of the nickname" He calls me later the very same night saying "I am calling you to tell you how much I love the show and how much I hate you."

I just said: "Welcome to the herd Ponyboy."

I would if I could, at least 1 or 2 people, but people would find me annoying, plus all my friends would dismiss it as "gay". All they ever talk about is The Walking Dead (I want to get into it though) and March Madness. Ever since the season finale of TWD, they haven't been metioning it that much, but they still talk about it time to time.

I have a friend that has the nickname "ponyboy" that he absolutely hates,

Funny how I'm reading a book called "The Outsiders" in religion class, and the main character's name is literally Ponyboy Curtis :lol: . Everytime we read a line with his name, ponies pop up in my head and it gives me something to pass the time, 'cause reading is definately NOT my thing, and unlike RD, I hate reading with all my guts and I'll never be persuaded to read a book unless it's Diary of a Wimpy Kid, or certain FiM fanfics ("It's a Dangerous Business" is a very good example. I love that fanfic sooo much).

The other night an aquaintance (not exactly a friend yet. We just met) came over to my house with one of my other friends. After a while he just asked me "So are you really into My little pony?" and I said yeah, why?. He told me that he noticed my desktop background, the "Suggested Videos" on Youtube (he was playing some music) the pony on my keychain, and that I once left this site in an open window on a previous time he was around. He started just asking all those "why?" questions, and I told him pretty much everything a non-brony would need to know to have some respect for the show, I showed him some music, I had him watch "epic Pie time" (because he likes the Epic meal time videos, so I thought it would be good) told him about the fanbase and everything, and now he legitmately wants to give it a try.

So technically I havent fully converted anyone yet, but I feel happy knowing I am getting someone to at least try it.

No feedback from him yet, but he is gonna tell me what he thinks about it in a couple days.

_______

On another note, I made a single pony reference at a party a couple weeks ago, and this girl just immediately came over to me and asked me where I got the reference from (it was the "20% cooler" line o-o). I told her My Little Pony and she just didnt believe I was into it. She asked me trivia questions about it for like 30 minutes before finally accepting it. She hasn't heared of Bronys before, but she thinks its awsome lol. She gave me a couple pony figures a couple days later. Not a conversion, but I opened up a current fan to the fanbase a little more.

Five of my friends. We were talking about shows we liked when we were little and I just kinda said "I watch My Little Pony..." and got them into it. Only two of them actively watch it, though. The other one catches an episode occasionally, another one is too busy, and the last one doesn't really get into stuff like MLP. She will, though, in time.

I was converted by one of my friends. She kept telling me "Watch MLP! Please for meeee pleaasseee? :( " and she goes on with things for months if I don't check them out. So I agreed, and she linked me to a channel on Youtube. Best two weeks of my life spent watching Season 1.

• Brohoof 1