Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zecora's rhyming

toonbat

Hard to say, she is the only zebra we have seen so far I suspect it may be a cultural thing but until we see at least one more zebra character we can't really say for sure.

It could be both a magic thing and a zebra thing, assuming that the zebras in the show are more mystical (in a witchcraft sense) in their magic than the ponies due to their culture.

Or, as mentioned earlier, it could just be a Zecora thing because she might be just one smart zebra, able to rhyme on a dime even in a normal conversation. If that's the case, then she might have been speaking like that even before she got involved in witchery.

Maybe she wrote ordinary poems, too. However, I don't see any much eveidence for it, yet.

Hard to say, she is the only zebra we have seen so far I suspect it may be a cultural thing but until we see at least one more zebra character we can't really say for sure.

I would like to think its her own sort-of thing. Tho i haven't read the comics so i don't know if im missing something that could change this opinion.

It could be both a magic thing and a zebra thing, assuming that the zebras in the show are more mystical (in a witchcraft sense) in their magic than the ponies due to their culture.

Or, as mentioned earlier, it could just be a Zecora thing because she might be just one smart zebra, able to rhyme on a dime even in a normal conversation. If that's the case, then she might have been speaking like that even before she got involved in witchery.

Maybe she wrote ordinary poems, too. However, I don't see any much eveidence for it, yet.

For my part, I think it's a witch doctor thing.  I list two reasons.  Neither is very solid, but hey!  It's something to go on.

First off, in the Bridal Gossip episode, when we hear her speak in her native tongue, she doesn't *quite* sound like she's rhyming, though it's a little hard to tell sometimes.  That at least suggests that rhyming is not that deeply ingrained in her, and to me that says she was not raised to always rhyme, which rules out the idea that it's a zebra thing.

As for the magical aspect, I'm reminded of loremasters in populations that have oral traditions, where some people are hired to be human encyclopedias, memorizing the contents of several books.  Rhymes make for good mnemonics, so perhaps witch doctors work in that capacity, trained to rhyme since apprenticehood so as to better remember formulas and whatnot.

It might also be for show, as part of the witch doctor shtick.  Just about anything can sound more ominous and mysterious if it's in rhyme.

• Brohoof 2

She's somewhat of a witch doctor. Witch doctors have been known to rhyme and speak in riddles.

"You realize now you had no choice, but to read this in my voice."~Zecora

Maybe she just likes to rhyme.

Tell me, is that such a crime?

Everything these ponies do, why? Explain!

If they don't, then we might go insane!

There must be a reason, a reason for this tick!

A reason I will find, a reason we can pick!

You think that I won't, that I just bluff,

but anyone would find an answer sufficient enough!

Go on all the Wikis, go read any Pedia!

Consult any source of academia!

Do not shame me just for wondering!

It's lack of reasons for which my brain takes a blundering!

So shoo! Away! I don't have the time!

I must figure out the story behind her rhyme!

• Brohoof 3

Maybe she just likes to rhyme.

Tell me, is that such a crime?

Everything these ponies do, why? Explain!

If they don't, then we might go insane!

There must be a reason, a reason for this tick!

A reason I will find, a reason we can pick!

You think that I won't, that I just bluff,

but anyone would find an answer sufficient enough!

Go on all the Wikis, go read any Pedia!

Consult any source of academia!

Do not shame me just for wondering!

It's lack of reasons for which my brain takes a blundering!

So shoo! Away! I don't have the time!

I must figure out the story behind her rhyme!

A bit iffy, but quite admirable.

• Brohoof 1

I really wish i had another Zebra to compare, as i wouldn't wanna generalize. 

What i THINK is, it's a Zebra thing as they seem to hail from a different region altogether, unlike donkeys or mules which seem to be native to Equestria and have regular speech.

Probably a language thing. She spoke what was assumed to be her native language in her first appearance, so I'm guessing that the closest translation into Equestrian is in rhyme. Unless we see more Zebras (which I am all for!) we won't have anything to compare it to. 

(edited)

It better be a Zecora thing. Otherwise if we see other zebras in the next episodes, Zecora would lose her uniqueness.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

It better be a Zecora thing. Otherwise if we see other zebras in the next episodes, Zecora would lose her uniqueness.

Oh, I'm sure there's other stuff that make her unique.  Though I'd love it the show itself helped me out here and actually did more character development for her!

I think it's a translation into English thing.  She's talking a more archaic version of Equestrian which translates to rhyming. 

Just like country dialect translates to southern.

Or all of Equestrian translates to English (German, French, or whatever other languages I skipped due to boredom and lack of desire to look it up).

Zecora's rhyming makes her unique. It sort of defines her mysterious character. 

She's certainly mysterious, and I hope there's always that element to her.  Just not at the expense of giving her so little character development.  I mean, I cheer every time she has a scene, but I still wish there was more to her than just advice and plot exposition.  Will we ever see her really sad, worried or scared?  Will we ever hear her in a singing role?  Will she ever hear any backstory for her?  Will she ever make a serious mistake and have to live up to the consequences?  I mean, I don't expect much.  The show has shown wonderful development for the main characters, but secondary characters get extremely limited exposure, and background characters get next to none.  It's just... you know.  They have a great cast!  It'd be nice to see them shift the focus away from the Mane Six, Spike and the CMC just for a little bit to give us some more development for everyone else.

• Brohoof 1

I'd guess it's a cultural thing since it would be very hard for someone to rhyme on the spot like that unless they were brought up in a culture like that. If someone was brought up being trained to speak in rhymes and everyone (or everyzebra) around them were speaking in rhymes, they'd have no trouble at all picking it up. 

The Journal Of The Two Sisters says it's an all-Zebra deal.

Really? I haven't read that, yet, though I'd like to. I'm glad to hear it confirms my guess :) .

They have a great cast!  It'd be nice to see them shift the focus away from the Mane Six, Spike and the CMC just for a little bit to give us some more development for everyone else.

Yeah, that would be awesome! Developing some other characters more, that would be so cool. And it would give them more options if they start running out of ideas for the Mane 6.

I would say a Zebra thing, but as EP mentioned, she is the only Zebra we've seen in the show thus far.

I'm led to believe it's a cultural thing though, waiting for Hasbro to prove me wrong.

I always assumed it was a Zecora thing but the idea of the rhyming being a zebra trait would be fascinating to see and is something I had never considered before. I want to see more zebras on the show and maybe find out why Zecora left her native land to live in Equestria and how zebra magic actually works. 

• 6 years later...