Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rainbow Dash REALLY the fastest character in Equestria?

Everleaf

@@TheMarkz0ne, as the question of 'is RD the fastest pony?' already has a dedicated thread, I have merged yours as a continuation of the pre-existing thread. Please ensure you use the search function before making a thread, you might find that what you wish to discuss is already being discussed elsewhere. :) 

@@TheMarkz0ne, as the question of 'is RD the fastest pony?' already has a dedicated thread, I have merged yours as a continuation of the pre-existing thread. Please ensure you use the search function before making a thread, you might find that what you wish to discuss is already being discussed elsewhere. :)

@, no offence but what if the two threads are different?

"the faster being" suggests new possibilities of Dashie's potential competition. Maybe Dashie is the fastest pony, but there are dragons and griffons that are faster?

The difference to me is like:

Who is the fastest human on earth?

&

What is the fastest creature on earth?

Given that she can casually break the sound barrier, I'd think so. The only pony who was her rival in terms of ability was Lightning Dust. Of course Dash's trump card is the Sonic Rainboom, but ever notice something about that particular ability?

We've seen it done thrice by Dash, notice though that it's only at the wedding does she seem to have mastered it. Both times prior, she was in her element. She was racing to defend Fluttershy's honor, than diving to save Rarity's life. Both times were actions where Dash was acting to defend another.

I can't see Lightning Dust doing something similar.

It may mean nothing, but it's an interesting correlation and it would make sense in a world like Equestria where emotions and ideals often are the source of some potent magical kick.

@, no offence but what if the two threads are different?

"the faster being" suggests new possibilities of Dashie's potential competition. Maybe Dashie is the fastest pony, but there are dragons and griffons that are faster?

The difference to me is like:

Who is the fastest human on earth?

&

What is the fastest creature on earth?

As the responses thus far have predominantly answered the question in relation to other ponies, the high similarity of discussion suggests the two threads can be combined. However, that's a legitimate point you have raised, and so I have edited the title of this thread to hopefully expand this discussion ;)

In terms of other species, Gilda gave RD a run for her money (maybe RD wasn't trying her hardest though seeing as it was a 'friendly' race).

Most bronies like to believe she's the fastest. I like to think that she's one of the fastest pegasi rather than any other character in Equestria.

But this is how it may go in my own mind, everyone has their own point of view with this commonly brought up topic. Lightning Dust and Spitfire are also some fast characters who are in the same category as Rainbow as mentions in previous replys to the topic.

Through caculated estimates RD is not the fastest flyer the fact is RD had taken years to try and perfect the Sonic Rainboom where as Twilight took a few days or so to perfect it even if she didn't make a sonic rainboom which is colors shooting off every where she did do a technical sonic rainboom which is still passing the speed of sound so if anyone's going to say RD's the only one that can preform a sonic rainboom shut up because so can Twilight.

Well, in the Equestrian Games Spitfire seemed to beat her quite easily and after becoming an Alicorn, Twilight was able to perform a Sonic Sparkboom at the Summer Sun Celebration... 

I love how after Twilight did that she became absolutely shit at flying. :P   

Rainbow dash can go fast and break sound barrier for sure. But Pinkie Pie is apparently able to manipulate time and space themselves to teleport from a point A to a point B. So, rainbow dash is physically faster, but if we judge by the time taken to go from point A to point B, Pinkie wins !

Edited by Ponitten

I left for a bit and this thing had over 100 posts when I logged in.

Anyway, actually, I take what I said about Pinkie back. We don't know that she's not using a form of teleportation, so if we count that, we may as well count a higher-level unicorn or an alicorn.

The Sonic Rainboom is a terrible judgement of speed, since it screams magic, not physics. You could argue its a real sonic boom, but it raises the question of how:

1) breaking the sound barrier shatters the visual light spectrum

2) it travels in one dimension, when sound is omni-directional

3) it makes a a wave that covers the distance of Equestria

4) Rainbow Dash has never made one accidentally, even when logic dictates she should be going at top speed( i.e the multitude of times her friends were in danger)

5) It was replicated by Twilight, who Rainbow Dash can "run circles around." As of S4E1, they went through lengths to point out she was poor flier in general at the time.

It's not too much of a stretch to assume that it's just a release of magical energy, especially since we know that emotions in Equestria are a source of power.

• Brohoof 1

Through caculated estimates RD is not the fastest flyer the fact is RD had taken years to try and perfect the Sonic Rainboom where as Twilight took a few days or so to perfect it even if she didn't make a sonic rainboom which is colors shooting off every where she did do a technical sonic rainboom which is still passing the speed of sound so if anyone's going to say RD's the only one that can preform a sonic rainboom shut up because so can Twilight.

Twilight pulling off her rainboom ripoff was absolute PIS just added to make her look good. There is no way she should've been able to do it so quickly and easily, but then again she's a Mary sue, so I guess she gets a free pass.

Also, let's see Twilight dodge lightning. Dash can easily. If Twilight is as fast as her she should easily be able to do it too right? :umad:

Twilight pulling off her rainboom ripoff was absolute PIS just added to make her look good. There is no way she should've been able to do it so quickly and easily, but then again she's a Mary sue, so I guess she gets a free pass.

Also, let's see Twilight dodge lightning. Dash can easily. If Twilight is as fast as her she should easily be able to do it too right? :umad:

Shut up about Twilight being a Mary Sue because she's not if you want to see what a Mary Sue pony is watch Jerry Peet's How to win at Bronies 2

There have been some comments that Fluttershy caught Dash in Return of Harmony p 2.

2 points on that

1) F didn't catch her, she just got close enough that AJ could lasso her.

2) F was only able to do that much because Dash wasn't trying to escape, D was buzzing F to taunt her & just got too close

In Dragonshy, T has a device to measure wing power.  Dash measures 16.5, no other pony has over 11 & only 1 has over 10.  Strength doesn't always mean speed, but it is a clue. (Even after busting her tail training, F has only 2.5)

• Brohoof 1

I doubt Rainbow Dash is the fastest pony is Equestria hands down,also she couldn't beat Spitfire in the relay at the Equestria Games as she came in 2nd. 

She came in second because she chose the two worst possible fliers in all of Ponyville to be on her team.

• Brohoof 1

Well, in the Equestrian Games Spitfire seemed to beat her quite easily and after becoming an Alicorn, Twilight was able to perform a Sonic Sparkboom at the Summer Sun Celebration... 

And in her Hot Minute, she admitted that AJ is probably the only one who could beat her on the ground.

in Equestria Games, in a review, it's suggested that RD was running out of steam 9which the used, picking up slack for Bulk and Flutters), when Spitfire was just reaching her peak in that race, which was why she (RD) was only to keep up neck and neck with Spitfiire

While RD is- and may arguably be the fastest, she's not inexhaustible.

The point is that if Rainbow Dash was "the fasted pony in Equestria" she would not have lost in that relay regardless as they were neck and neck at the end,there was no real reason for her to lose at that moment.

being fast doesn't mean never being able to run out of steam, once you exhaust most your energy

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

being fast doesn't mean never being able to run out of steam, once you exhaust most your energy

If you are saying she lost because she 'ran out of steam' or the like, then im not willing to accept that, because it is ridiculous considering the situation. She had no reason to be exhausted in that moment, she just lost because the narrative told her to.   :maud:   

• Brohoof 1

If you are saying she lost because she 'ran out of steam' or the like, then im not willing to accept that, because it is ridiculous considering the situation. She had no reason to be exhausted in that moment, she just lost because the narrative told her to.   :maud:   

care to explain that ridiculousness of her running out of steam in that situation? I'd certainly LOVE to hear it....

I edited my post, which explains how she's able to get exhausted in the race, to the point where she's only able to just barely keep up with Spitfire- maybe go back and give that edit some of your time.

care to explain that ridiculousness of her running out of steam in that situation? I'd certainly LOVE to hear it....

It was just a short sprint if i recall. Not even a mile. How was she suppose to be out of steam in such a short sprint? Because reasons? Meh, owell.   :maud:

Don't care to relook at your post you edited, after quoting me. Not interested.  :maud:

• Brohoof 1

in Equestria Games, in a review, it's suggested that RD was running out of steam 9which the used, picking up slack for Bulk and Flutters), when Spitfire was just reaching her peak in that race, which was why she (RD) was only to keep up neck and neck with Spitfiire

While RD is- and may arguably be the fastest, she's not inexhaustible.

Don't forget Fleetfoot is faster than Spitfire. Even Rapidfire is possibly faster than Spitfire.

Fleetfoot won the Wonderbolts Derby (Spitfire attended) in Sweet and Elite, and Dashie knew that she was faster