Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you ship Ponies?

I used to be a stranger

I know that most of everyone has their own opinions when it comes to shipping. But what I'm really curious about is why people choose those ships. Why do [you] personally like Rarity-Twilight rather than Rarity-Applejack, or Cheerillee and Big Macintosh vs. Fluttershy and Big Macintosh-- and so on. And of these, do you reccomend, or argue that some are 'better' than others, why or why not?

You can talk about your own shipping preferences, or feel free to speculate on the Brony phenomenon at large.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

It isn't unique to the MLP fandom, just though I would point that out. I don't entirely get it myself because I have never been a big shipper but I think part of it is wish fulfillment/fantasy and part of is because people think certain pairings might look cute together or something. I will say though that the brony fandom has brought out a bit of the shipper in me.

The same reason for the Japanese word "Hentai" it stands for Perverted. They are letting their hormones think for themselves.

That is not entirely true, there are a lot of shippers that keep sex out of the equation in addition to the ones that include that.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

The same reason for the Japanese word "Hentai" it stands for Perverted. They are letting their hormones think for themselves.

*Unless I misread what you typed..* lol

You did, haha. He's asking why people prefer particular ships, not why people ship. ^^

Also while your point may stand for some, you're thinking of shipping that exists solely for people to make sexual art from it, not enjoying the idea of two characters in a romantic or non-romantic pairing. Not all of it is like that. ^^

I think people just generally like to ship opposites, like Twilight and Pinkie Pie or Applejack and Rarity. I personally don't have any MLP ships unless Iron Will x Featherweight or Mayor Mare counts, haha. But I do ship in other fandoms, and I think it's just that people pick their favourites and tend to shove them together because they are their favourites.

• Brohoof 1

Four words for you

Gone With The Wind.

Like EBP said there is a sort of wish fullfillment that is a part of it, but shipping ... the concept of wanting two fictional characters to have a lasting love ... that has a HUGE history in storytelling. I mean, before there was printing presses. This is part of the natural human desire for companionship.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 1

It depends on the personalities of the shipped characters.

Rarijack doesn't really work because they are total opposites. Rarilight works better because they have similar personality traits.

Same for Cheritosh and Fluttertosh.

Unless you're some creep who ships whoever is possible.

You're trying to justify the justifiable..

You mean I am trying to justify the unjustifiable right? How so exactly? There are a plenty of shippers that have said they ship for purely non sexual reasons so are all those people liars? And as for the ones that do it for sexual reasons uh well you may not understand it or like it but it really is none of your business.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2

For me, some ships just fit. I feel like Pinkie and Discord would befit each other nicely, so I like to ship them. Some may prefer things that sound like they could be canon(but this-like all shipping-is quite down to the individual's preference and opinion), such as Spike and Rarity, what with their constant pairing.

• Brohoof 1

:confused:

Not sure what you are trying to say. Anyway, you are ignoring a common element in the consumption of all fiction. Shipping is not exclusive to MLP, Cartoons, television, movies, literature, etc. Anything that involved two fictional characters that may have a personal compelling chemistry will invite an internal desire to see them together. I brought up GWTW as an example. At the end of the story ... you know what ... go read or watch it. You'll get what I am trying to say. So many people flipped out over that ending when it was published, unless you had a different preferred pairing. Yes, that novel had a complex love triangle. Same with the film (though there are differences that I won't go into).

Also, I do kinda ship Big Mac and Cheerilee ...and it has nothing to do with a bedroom reason. They are just adorable together, and kinda remind me of my wife and I (see ... personal connection to the characters can do this to)

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

For the record, I am planning on using some of the information on this thread to make a graph (maybe), but in addition to its information, there will be a second graph that says "Actual reasons why people Ship these characters" and a large portion of that graph will read ">implying gay sex", but the purpose of the second graph is supposed to be either humorous, or a tongue-in-cheek prod at the expense of people with that mindset.

In all honesty, I like FlutterMac because I think there is something cute about the juxtaposition of their characteristics-- notably that I can relate to big man-little woman-- and because their color schemes match. I never give very serious weight to their personalities in regards to how such a relationship could come to be.

Edited by Blue

I think some people are misreading this topic. He isn't asking why shipping exists in general but why you like the particular shipping's that you support.

In a nutshell, I ship because it's fun. Thinking about characters becoming a couple gives me the warm fuzzies inside. While I may indulge in some saucy art involving ships every once in a while, it's not the reason I do it.

More on topic: I like to ship characters that seem opposite, but come together anyway because they can see the best in each other. They kind of fit together like two pices of a puzzle. I get a lot of enjoyment watching characters like this interact. As a result, my favorite ships are RariJack and TwiDash. I don't think there is really a best ship, as it's all subjective.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 1

Shipping's the norm for fandoms. Good luck trying to escape it when you want to talk about things you're a fan of on the internet.

I'm into all sorts of them so I ship pretty much all forms. This fandom is particularly yuri and or fem-slash. Yaoi and or slash seems to be really rare and not too popular with MLP. Some straight ships are well loved however like Fluttermack and Soardash. There aren't too many of them that I am aware of.

In comparison, the Marvel/DC fandom and or anime fandoms (fandoms with a considerable amount of male characters) are all about yaoi (yuri is also very popular among anime too) so nothing's particularly more common. I come to the assumption due to many saying so that a good majority of bronies feel uncomfortable with gay shipping though.

I used to like Twilight x Applejack (friendshipping only!!!) but that was back when AJ and Twilight were my favorite ponies (Twilight has moved down a few spots though). I guess I just thought they'd make a great best friend pairing? I don't really ship them anymore, partly because most people think I mean more than friendshipping. :okiedokielokie:

I used to like Twilight x Applejack (friendshipping only!!!) but that was back when AJ and Twilight were my favorite ponies (Twilight has moved down a few spots though). I guess I just thought they'd make a great best friend pairing? I don't really ship them anymore, partly because most people think I mean more than friendshipping. :okiedokielokie:

I actually do that too ... in my head I see some of the friendships as stronger than others.

• Brohoof 1

I ship couples who look cute together, and personalities work well together. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash (Flutterdash) is one of these. They look good together, as in their appearance. I think that someone shy like Flutters would want someone who would protect them, like Rainbow Dash. And someone like Rainbow Dash, who has low self-esteem, would want to protect someone else to feel like they're useful for something. See what I mean? :3

I ship couples who look cute together, and personalities work well together. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash (Flutterdash) is one of these. They look good together, as in their appearance. I think that someone shy like Flutters would want someone who would protect them, like Rainbow Dash. And someone like Rainbow Dash, who has low self-esteem, would want to protect someone else to feel like they're useful for something. See what I mean? :3

Complimentary characteristics make for an a deep pairing!

• Brohoof 1

And by the way, the reason people ship in general is for emotional stimulation, also known as relief (sexual or non-sexual).

Relief implies appetite. Relationships I think operate at a much deeper level than simply a momentary need to remain comfortable.

Projecting relationships into other things I think is an imperfect simulacrum for our desire in this regard.

Relief implies appetite. Relationships I think operate at a much deeper level than simply a momentary need to remain comfortable.

Projecting relationships into other things I think is an imperfect simulacrum for our desire in this regard.

Not sure I completely agree with that view if you are talking about IRL Relationships. Shipping is based on a cultural view of 'romance' and how the individual defines it. Also or reinforces ones world view and perceptions of ideal connections.

I ship Scarlet with Rhett, others ship her with Ashley. They just don't call it shipping. :D

• Brohoof 1