Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash Micro Comic:Opinions?

Fractured

It seems like this comic touched a lot of people the same way, to the point some people call it the worst MLP comic. I found it to be quite...dramatic, but I didn't see anything wrong with it, so i'm curious; what exactly did you guys like or not like about this comic?

I didn't think it was bad by any means, but I did like it least out of the three micros I read (the other two being Twilight's and Rarity's). It had an interesting concept, but I guess it just felt weak and forgettable for me. In fact, I'm realizing now that I can remember the least about that comic out of the three, the least by far actually...

It seems like this comic touched a lot of people the same way, to the point some people call it the worst MLP comic. I found it to be quite...dramatic, but I didn't see anything wrong with it, so i'm curious; what exactly did you guys like or not like about this comic?

It's objectively the worst comic IDW has made due to terrible dialogue, a weak story, anemic villains, and a poor portrayal of Rainbow Dash. There is nothing to like about that comic. However, there are a couple of comics that I consider worse than even the Rainbow Dash micro. One being the Fluttershy micro for having one of the most insulting lessons I've ever read or watched in FIM, and the other the 'Reflections' arc for its portrayal of Celestia being so bad that it made 'Rainbow Falls' out of character writing for Rainbow Dash look brilliant in comparison.

• Brohoof 2

I didn't think it was bad by any means, but I did like it least out of the three micros I read (the other two being Twilight's and Rarity's). It had an interesting concept, but I guess it just felt weak and forgettable for me. In fact, I'm realizing now that I can remember the least about that comic out of the three, the least by far actually...

It had an interesting new villain, and a pretty dramatic ending. You're right, though, there wasn't as much going on as the other comics.

It's objectively the worst comic IDW has made due to terrible dialogue, a weak story, anemic villains, and a poor portrayal of Rainbow Dash. There is nothing to like about that comic. However, there are a couple of comics that I consider worse than even the Rainbow Dash micro. One being the Fluttershy micro for having one of the most insulting lessons I've ever read or watched in FIM, and the other the 'Reflections' arc for its portrayal of Celestia being so bad that it made 'Rainbow Falls' out of character writing for Rainbow Dash look brilliant in comparison.

Poor portrayl of Rainbow Dash? Could you explain?

It had an interesting new villain, and a pretty dramatic ending. You're right, though, there wasn't as much going on as the other comics.

To tell you the truth, I sort of forgotten why I didn't liked Rainbow Dash in that comic other than I felt like the comic was trying to prop her up more than usual considering all the pony news networks focusing on her. Maybe it rubbed me the wrong way, or perhaps I'm an idiot for over hating the comic so much. However, I really can't remember that comic other than the fact it's mediocre.

Edited by Nuke87654

I think it was definitely one of the worst. The storyline is pretty incoherent. Dash manages to yell a bunch of random phrases while she tries to pummel a bewitched cloud... I thought all the characters were pretty dumbed down, there was no explanation for the cloud guys or why Rainbow couldn't beat it, her ideas for getting rid of it are really weak, no other pony thinks to do anything about it (huh? Twilight isn't all over this demonic cloud?) and yeah the whole overall feel is kinda like 'WTF did I just read?' I think the whole thing suffers from a really oversimplified storyline... Rainbow's actions just don't feel logical or complex. It was just silly to me.

• Brohoof 1

I've read through all the mircos, mains and even the EG annual. The RD first micro was sadly a rather weak one shot for RD, since most of it relied on a lot of fandom nods (her brohoofing, her pulling off a "double rainboom" while playing a guitar) weird tech continuity (TV and or radio is a thing in the comics) and generally the plot feeling rather disjointed. While the villain was interesting (cloud gremlins balanced out the scary yet not too scare monster race perfectly) the overall dramatic stakes felt heavy handed and the addition of AJ as this weird straight pony / comic relief took a lot of the spot light off RD and felt more like a duo comic then one focus on us learning more about RD. Do to the fact that it more or less covered old ground, while note being the worse ( personally I think Fluttershys hold that, with AJ's coming in second), RD's first micro is something to only read in passing. 

If you looking for a far better RD focus comic, go for the Friends Forever mix with her and Trixies. Honestly it's hand down one of the better FF out their. 

My big problem was glaring issues with the writing. Rainbowdash decided to take on those gremlins herself. Even if we accept the premise that it's a problem only Pegasi can solve, even though Unicorns could probably shoot some kind of magical attack upward, that still doesn't account for RD's decision to go it alone. She's not the only Pegasus in Ponyville! The risk of wing injury would probably be greatly reduced if she had some help. Though unlikely, a Rainbowdash/Fluttershy duo would have made slightly more sense, even given Fluttershy's anxiety. A more likely scenario would be if RD rallied all the Pegasi. The story could have easily ended up being too similar to Hurricane Fluttershy if the writers weren't careful, but it would still end up being a much better story than the one we got. Heck, what were the Wonderbolts up to all that time?

Not all the blame could be placed on RD though. The local media seemed to treat the situation like it was her problem, and her's alone. Why?! Because she happened to be the one who crashed into that cloud initially? That still doesn't explain why absolutely no one thought they could lend a helping hand. RD is heroic in this issue IMHO, if pretty dense for not getting help, but it's kind of hard to put all the blame on her when everyone else seems to think it's her problem too. WTF?! As a result, I can't honestly say that RD is my problem with the issue. It's almost everypony in that story, or more specifically, the way they're all written, except maybe Applejack.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 1

@, Hey there, just letting you know that we have a new subforum of Sugarcube Corner entitled "Print Media" which is the best place to discuss the MLP comics, rather than the Show Discussion section, so I went ahead and moved your thread there. :)

I have to agree with the general consensus in that I also found Rainbow Dash's micro comic to be the worst of the lot. I was unimpressed by the villains, the writing was extremely weak, and there was just an all-around lack of substance to it. The other micros made me feel something. All I felt was emptiness upon finishing the Dash story. It's not bad per se, but I didn't find anything remarkable about it either.

• Brohoof 2

Also for me, this was generally the weakest of the MLP comics to date. Everything just felt so...scattered. I mean, it's like someone was tasked with writing a RD comic, but yet didn't know a thing about Dash, so they googled her up and came up with a plot in 15 minutes.

It's a bit harsh, but still...easily forgettable.

• Brohoof 1

Also for me, this was generally the weakest of the MLP comics to date. Everything just felt so...scattered. I mean, it's like someone was tasked with writing a RD comic, but yet didn't know a thing about Dash, so they googled her up and came up with a plot in 15 minutes.

It's funny... now that you mention it, I rather liked the villain, but I can' remember anything about rainbow that stood out. :blink:

• Brohoof 1

It's objectively the worst comic IDW has made due to terrible dialogue, a weak story, anemic villains, and a poor portrayal of Rainbow Dash. There is nothing to like about that comic. 

Eh, even as someone who probably hates this comic more that anyone here, to say it's objectively terrible it a bit much

One being the Fluttershy micro for having one of the most insulting lessons I've ever read or watched in FIM

I haven't read the whole comic, but wasn't the moral of that comic "don't let criticism discourage you from doing what you like."? Because that doesn't sound like a big deal to me

What's sad is that I've heard this might actually be true

________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm in agreement with everyone else

Yeah if you haven't noticed by now from my other posts is that I absolutely lothe this comic, and consider it an affront to both Rainbow Dash and FiM. My biggest problem being the writing which is some of the laziest I've ever read in a comic, really stupid dialogue, really stupid characterizations, tons of continuity errors(especially with the blatantly stupid zap apple contradiction at the end), and fuckton of pandering and lazily thrown-in pop culture references, which was probably used to distract readers from the shitty writing. There is absolutely no heart, no substance, no effort put into this, and the horrible artwork doesn't help at all. As a Rainbow Dash fan I was completely insulted

What depresses me even more is that this is one of the only one of two RD-centric comic that exists(the other being the Rainbow Dash/Trixie Friends Forever, which thankfully is actually good), and I honestly always feel that RD gets the shaft in the comics(otherwise this atrocity wouldn't even have been greenlit)

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, even as someone who probably hates this comic more that anyone here, to say it's objectively terrible it a bit much

I haven't read the whole comic, but wasn't the moral of that comic "don't let criticism discourage you from doing what you like."? Because that doesn't sound like a big deal to me

What is there to like about the Rainbow Dash Micro? Out of all the comics, the Rainbow Dash micro has among the least amount to be considered done well in my honest opinion.

It's more of how it portrayed one critic as being some douche towards Fluttershy simply because her art didn't fit what he considered to be art then have him be scared into submission once Celestia showed up and offered good compliments to Fluttershy. Thus it was my view that the story seemed to portray critics as being frightened idiots. I wouldn't mind that lesson if it was what the comic seemed to show it as instead of what I've said from recollection.

What is there to like about the Rainbow Dash Micro? Out of all the comics, the Rainbow Dash micro has among the least amount to be considered done well in my honest opinion.

The...cover art was.... decent  :o(ok seriously the cover art was nice) 

It's more of how it portrayed one critic as being some douche towards Fluttershy simply because her art didn't fit what he considered to be art then have him be scared into submission once Celestia showed up and offered good compliments to Fluttershy. Thus it was my view that the story seemed to portray critics as being frightened idiots. I wouldn't mind that lesson if it was what the comic seemed to show it as instead of what I've said from recollection.

No wonder the analysis community hates it so much :blush:

Though I do think there are some areas they could use to improve it, which alone puts it far above the RD Micro at all(which I don't think can be improved beyond scrapping it completely)

• Brohoof 1

So
Characterization bad.
Writing lazy.
artwork terrible.
continuity stupid.
So...villain? It reminds me of G1 in a way, where the villain is impressive and...that's pretty much it. I like the gremlins "force of nature" idea, it reminds me of Sombra(with better dialogue,obviously.)

How was the reflections arch bad ?

imo, there was a lot of questionable decisions made on the writer's part. Plus for a lot of people, the way Katie Cook responded to criticism turned people off.

Personally I don't think it's terrible by any stretch, and it does have a lot of great moments, but it's probably my least favorite of the main comics

Ok fair enough but can u give examples of questionnable decisions? Im not sure what u mean

- Some didn't like the how under-utilized the mirror world was

- Some didn't like how the romance took over the story

- Some didn't like Alternate Sombra, with some people even calling him "Black Brad"(a reference to what fans originally called Flash Sentry)

- Some felt the meta-humor was out of place

- A lot of people just flat-out disliked Celestia's behavior

Again, I still don't think it's the worst thing ever, but I do agree with a lot of the criticisms

• Brohoof 1

- Some didn't like the how under-utilized the mirror world was

- Some didn't like how the romance took over the story

- Some didn't like Alternate Sombra, with some people even calling him "Black Brad"(a reference to what fans originally called Flash Sentry)

- Some felt the meta-humor was out of place

- A lot of people just flat-out disliked Celestia's behavior

Again, I still don't think it's the worst thing ever, but I do agree with a lot of the criticisms

Black Brad? Is that anything similar to a Gary Stu?