Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on the cold water challenge?

Everleaf

*Sigh*

Let's make a hypocrite of myself again.

So.  Y'all probably know, if you know me at all... I tend to lean to the right on the political scale... old habits die hard for this'un.  Yet, I know that being such a traditionalist makes me seem like an arse.  Which, is funny, really.  And I do admit that, honestly.

And so, you'd think me to have the opinion of "not caring that it's wasting water" - but, yet... I think it's a waste of water.
Hear me out though --- I'd do it anyways! LOL.  

~There's the hypocrisy~

Now, let me defend myself and say that, if I had money, I'd already have donated money to the fund.  But, I'm a college student who needs his money, as I'm already going to be needin' loans here soon.  I know, that's selfish, harsh, pitiful... stupid... yes.  It is.  

Back to the water though... I almost did the challenge one day, seeing that someone had made a thread here about it (I'm not much for social media, so, it's not like I'm ever gonna be nominated on FB or nothing).  But, that day was rainy.  And what use is dumping ice water on my head out in the rain? Lol... so now why didn't I do it the next day?  Or even right now?  Lol.  Because I had to move back to college, and I'm too busy.  As well as, I don't have any ice.  

Then, there's the whole reason that, even though I am a rightie - basicallly, yah, I'm a conservative - I have seen the drought going on in the western states, and it would make me feel... wasteful... I guess... to go throwing a couple gallons of ice water on my head, when, the whole fact of the matter is, I honestly don't see the point in dumping water on our heads for this anyway.  I mean, ALS ain't the only darn thing in need of funding out there either.  So, maybe one day when I've graduated college, got myself a career, and money... I'll donate to some funds.  Because that's actually useful.  And helpful.  

"Wow, you're a freakin' weird guy, Miles." 
Meh.  I know.  
But, it's not like I'm gonna change that easy  :smug: .

---

In the end, let me just say:  If you want to dump water on your head, then so be it.  But, they need money, not videos of people getting wet.

~over and out~

:comeatus:

• Brohoof 1

I think it started out okay but has now become the charitable equivalent of a circle jerk. Charity is a good thing (unless it is one of those fraudulent charities like most of the Cancer ones but that is a topic for another day) but it seems more like people are just band wagoning onto this just to feel like they are important and doing something without having to do jack shit or are just attention whoring. That is not to say there aren't people doing this for the right reasons but I just don't see the point of this, it is supposed to raise money and awareness of ALS which is great but why is it ice bucket challenge or donate money? Why not just donate the fraggin' cash already?

The ice bucket challenge has caused a severe drought in California. I live in California.

To say it caused a drought in California is a bit of a stretch but it dosen't take a genius to figure out that it sure isn't helping the situation.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

I think it started out okay but has now become the charitable equivalent of a circle jerk. Charity is a good thing (unless it is one of those fraudulent charities like most of the Cancer ones but that is a topic for another day) but it seems more like people are just band wagoning onto this just to feel like they are important and doing something without having to do jack shit or are just attention whoring. That is not to say there aren't people doing this for the right reasons but I just don't see the point of this, it is supposed to raise money and awareness of ALS which is great but why is it ice bucket challenge or donate money? Why not just donate the fraggin' cash already?

To say it caused a drought in California is a bit of a stretch but it dosen't take a genius to figure out that it sure isn't helping the situation.

Nope

We were already in a drought...the massive amounts of people doing it made it severe.

• Brohoof 1

Nope

We were already in a drought...the massive amounts of people doing it made it severe.

You know, sometimes I freely admit I am a fucking idiot. This is one of those times. What started out as a good idea on the surface actually has some negative repercussions. There is a limit to the available potable water. Water scarcity is a serious problem.

Food (or the other stuff) for though indeed

I was OK with it at first cause it was one of those trends that at least had a purpose. But now, it feels like half the people I do it don't even do it to charity. They just do it to challenge their friends to it. Also, I feel these celebrities are mainly doing it for a publicity stunt. It's great that they did get millions of dollars, but I wonder how many people I see on Facebook actually do donate?

Gotta do it soon

It's more of a repetitive boring game for charity

Well only 16¢ of $1 is going towards the actual disease it's more of a ploy to get more money in the funds.

My perspective; give the masses something stupid and fun to do for a unique profit

It's an excuse for people who want to show some sort of social activity on their facebook. Most of the people i saw doing it don't care one bit about the ALS patients. I find it to be a waste of time when there's so much more that can be done for the people.