Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on the cold water challenge?

Everleaf

Well, if that suits other people, then more power to them I suppose. We did the challenge here where I work like a month or so ago, and I declined, deciding to donate. I really didn't wanna get wet... >_<

Yeah it's fine if you don't wanna do it but really it seems fun (plus I like getting wet and with cold water? YEZZZZ!!!

Well it's called the ice bucket challenge, not the cold water challenge, but it's for a good enough cause so I'm happy for its success.

I'm not sure if I want to laugh or feel sad when I see all the people screaming about wasting water though.

• Brohoof 1

Well it's called the ice bucket challenge, not the cold water challenge, but it's for a good enough cause so I'm happy for its success.

I'm not sure if I want to laugh or feel sad when I see all the people screaming about wasting water though.

Well as far as I have saw different people call it different things I just stick with the cold water challenge...

I don't know people are aloud to have fun even if it is (wasting water) so try not to worry about that...

^

I feel exactly the same way. I don't enjoy being wet, nor do I enjoy being cold. I'd rather just donate. 

I can understand doing things for a cause, but gee. I've never been a fan of water fights, neither can I stand non-heated pools!

GAH! Freezing water is the worst!  :eww:

Steve-O says it best, as usual

It's supposed to raise awareness for ALS, but since people on my FB have started posting these videos I have yet to see one explain what ALS is or even mention it in the video, much less how to donate.

Plus the original idea of the challenge is that you dump ice over your head to GET OUT OF donating. Steve-O did both. He may be a jackass, but he's got his head screwed on right.

I have asked and asked and asked these people where I can to donate after being challenged, but no one could point me to a website. I don't want to raise awareness because even though raising awareness might help, the money being raised is going to help a lot more. Losing control of your muscles is scary shit, and I want to help these people with funding, not with a video of me getting cold.

I'm going to be honest: if someone asked me to do this ice bucket challenge on my FB, I would just politely tell them, "No."

Not pouring an ice bucket all over myself penalizes me with a $100 donation (right? I'm not making shit up again?)? Yeah, no to that as well.

If they persist, well, sorry. I don't have that kind of money. I'm in college. I haven't had a paying job in a year, nor do I need one. The last one I had was a TA position that paid me 200 bucks over the course of 15 weeks, and that's been gone for three times that long. Giving up half of that or randomly enduring discomfort for no discernible reason are both really high up on my "why in god's name would he/she/it/I do that?" list.

It's a social media campaign to raise awareness for ALS, aka Lou Gehrig's Disease. It's fun and is for a good cause, so I'm all for it. I may do one myself. So far, it's raised tens of millions for the charity, which is awesome. You don't have to donate, just spread the word which in turns leads to donations.

It's a waste of good water when the cause is ignored entirely, which happens a lot

I don't see how it's any different from people who take extended showers for example, which is also a "waste of water", only this time it's just a bucket full. Are water parks also "wastes of water" since the water isn't being used to drink?

Not pouring an ice bucket all over myself penalizes me with a $100 donation (right? I'm not making shit up again?)?

You aren't forced to donate. The idea is to make a video to spread awareness, and donate if you so please.

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 1

Well yes I am aware of the price if you do NOT do it but if I was challenged I would do it for both the fun and awareness 

I would to be honest also donate to the charity.

Hey, looks like a fun little thing that's going on, sure better than that cinnamon challenge thing that went on where it could actually kill you.

• Brohoof 1

My grandma actually died from ALS.

So, every year, me and my family go on the 'ALS walk' in Chicago, Illinois to raise money.

However, I did the ice challenge today because my best friend nominated me ^_^

My sister's fiancé actually THREW the water out of the bucket into me!

He didn't pour it on me. No. He like, tossed the bucket and the water hit me from the side!

It was actually kinda fun.

• Brohoof 1

My grandma actually died from ALS.

So, every year, me and my family go on the 'ALS walk' in Chicago, Illinois to raise money.

However, I did the ice challenge today because my best friend nominated me ^_^

My sister's fiancé actually THREW the water out of the bucket into me!

He didn't pour it on me. No. He like, tossed the bucket and the water hit me from the side!

It was actually kinda fun.

Seems like fun I will say when someone challenges me easy I'll do it. :3

• Brohoof 1

I think the Ice Bucket Challenge is quite cute. It's a nice way to spread the awareness of ALS, yet at the same time it's also a bit of harmless fun.

Even though the Ice Bucket Challenge exists to get out of donating, I would both donate and to the challenge anyway. :P

People who suffer from ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease is a disease that slowly kills the nerves and muscles in your body. As a result, one of the most common symptoms is the inability to feel extreme temperatures, such as burning or freezing temperatures.

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, or cold water challenge, is used to spread awareness about ALS, specifically the inability to feel such extreme temperatures. And I don't think it would be the safest idea to pour scalding water on one's head. Freezing cold ice water spreads the message, and is a lot safer.

If you don't know, the official rules of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge are as follows:

1. In order to complete the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, you must first be nominated by someone who has completed it.
  2. If you are challenged, you have EXACTLY 24 hours from when they first challenged you to complete the challenge.
  3. If you do not complete the challenge in that time period, a donation of a MINIMUM $100 USD must be made to an ALS charity of your choosing.

It also doesn't hurt to get creative with your Ice Bucket Challenge videos. Here are a few examples:

Even 'ol G. Dubya got in on it:

Edited by Smash N Dash
  • Brohoof 1