Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I attempt to draw pony stuff

Applejohn

Well, this is something i just tryied today. Some weeks ago i was very impressed about a drawing i saw where the hair of a pony was incredibly detailed and it seemed so real that i just couldn't get it out of my head.

I tryed and tried to make it in a drawing app i have in my ipad but it was impossible for me to draw it and make it look like actual hair.

Today in school i came up with the idea that it might work if i practice a bit, so i started drawing in a piece of paper and at the end... guess what.... It looked like hair!! Apparently the trick was to make smooth lines, really smooth lines going in a same or similar direction, which was really hard to do in the app. So... yeah, here are the results. Don't be strong on the judging, i haven't perfected my style and stuff. Anyway, here it is: :)

post-19995-0-62518400-1409105435_thumb.jpg

post-19995-0-31985900-1409105451_thumb.jpg

Be sure to leave ideas and tips for making better hair! :smug:

Edited by Applejohn
  • Brohoof 12

Looks pretty good! I've never been good at drawing realistic looking hair, but one good tip that helps me is if I need to draw a certain style, I just look at pictures of hairstyles on humans and then draw them. You could probably do the same for ponies, if you aren't already doing that.

References, man. They really are everything.

References, man. They really are everything.

They surely are :lol: the first picture started from me drawing the hair of a friend that was standing besides me XD

In the second one i was trying to make hair without a reference.

But clearly the one from th reference went out a lot better so i will use them until i get better. :) thanks

Actually, this is well done. I'd just recommend you not to make a single part of the body stand out too much (in this case the hair) because then the rest would pale in comparison. Other than that, keep it up :)

I'd just recommend you not to make a single part of the body stand out too much (in this case the hair)

Yeah, i was just doing the hair here, not the rest of the body or head :) i made a soft sketch of the head just to leave clear that you're looking at a head :lol:

Thanks for all the feedback, i'll see if i can upload other stuff here later on. I'm kind of busy with school this week :S

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

right off the bat, youre missing highlights :)
maybe not photorealistic, but certainly worth the money:  Jack Hamms "Drawing the head and Figure" is a classic!  heres a couple pages: Drawing+The+Head+And+figure+by+Jack+HammDrawing+The+Head+And+figure+by+Jack+Hamm

Edited by SweetJeans88
  • Brohoof 2

Look good, but I wouldn't call it Photo Realistic... But it is still cool and good and Photo Realistic-ish. 

Yeah x3 not completely photorealistic, that's why i put a question mark in the title :lol: thanks for the support

I have to say, i forgot to upload my artwork here (i forgot to do artwork as well) sooo, i feel kinda guilty for that :(

My laziness is over infinity, and i can't do anything about it Dx

I guess i'll try to make something, i can't say it for sure but i think i'll post something here between this week and the next one.

right off the bat, youre missing highlights :)

maybe not photorealistic, but certainly worth the money:  Jack Hamms "Drawing the head and Figure" is a classic!  heres a couple pages: 

Thanks! Those pictures were pretty useful actually :D i'll take some time to check them in more detail while drawing later. ;)

I have to say, i really like the second one. Mostly how it looks realistic, but still has that drawn flair to it. But that is probably my Cartoonist instinct talking...

Thanks! ^^ just like SweetJeans88 said, i was missing highlights, i'm pretty sure that if i add some to that drawing it will look a lot better!

Maybe it is your cartoonish instinct talking :P but don't worry, those are the best kind of instincts.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks! Those pictures were pretty useful actually i'll take some time to check them in more detail while drawing later.

glad i could help ^_^  ive had this book for YEARS and still havent mastered all thats in it.  the clothing and hair styles are outdated, but his tips and observations are still relevant ^_^

glad i could help ^_^ ive had this book for YEARS and still havent mastered all thats in it. the clothing and hair styles are outdated, but his tips and observations are still relevant ^_^

Cool, :D what year is that book from? There are plenty of pictures in google of different pages of the book, i think i'll check some of those too :catface: thanks for introducing me to it ^_^

Btw, just checked your tumblr page, i'm stunned about some of the art over there, you're an amazing artist.

Edited by Applejohn
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Ok, i made something :catface: judging by how far this topic is from the first ones i probably won't get an answer. So if i don't in... Lets say two days because no one finds this topic i guess i'll re post it. Anyways, here it is:

Dear haters:

post-19995-0-67551100-1414811878_thumb.jpg

post-19995-0-97301600-1414811889_thumb.jpg

post-19995-0-17938100-1414811899_thumb.jpg

post-19995-0-81224100-1414811291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Applejohn
  • Brohoof 2

Impressive skills, Lyra. That is one powerful foam finger.

thank you :P it's all finger-drawn as well, it would be a lot easier if i had a drawing tablet but it's still better than a sheet of paper so i should shut up and stop complaining XD