Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Its just a kids show?

jaime_lion

Well guess I´m a child at heart becuase that is how I like it, yeah! :D

Lol reminds me my friends told me that I am more like a kid than an adult so I now carry a "shorted out psychic paper" in my wallet to prove I am a mature and responsible adult.

Well it in fact a kids show at that. But it has things that everyone can enjoy and also from good lessons delved into the show! They made a great cartoon program separating all the crap cartoons these days from the good ones and this one shines out of them all!

I totally agree with you, not only do I hate it when people tell others to stop coming up with theories because "it's a kids show" but I also hate the fact that some bronies try to use that line to stop people thinking critically about the show period. I can't tell you how much I hate when certain bronies use that line to stop criticism, at times it feels like everyone has forgotten why people started liking this show in the first place.

Edited by chirox the pony
  • Brohoof 1

... :wau:

Wow. That is NOT at all what I said.

I never said it was okay for the creators to just phone it in. At most, I said it tends to come with the territory. If anything, I was trying to compliment the makers of MLP:FiM. If I ever said it wasn't a perfect show, if I ever said that it still has faults despite all the MANY things it does right, that's just because that's how things are. There's no such thing as a perfect anything. Perfection is not something that can be measured; it's only a matter of personal preference.

Sorry Samurai, must have misread that. I just read this:

You will find that there are times where the show cuts corners and lets its story quality drop. Why? Because it's a kids show. Most kids won't care as much as the rest of us will, and the creators of the show know this. 

And i'm having trouble understanding how this is a positive thing.

There are limits on what can be done with a kid's show, but MLP:FiM does explore the full extent of those limits. That said, MLP:FiM is a kid's show and there are still limits. It does fascinate me that a lot of people like to overanalyze it, but I take it as a sign of the show's greatness. It provides all sorts of topics of conversation, and the reason fans can overanalyze is because there are a lot of subtle details that can be explored. If the show didn't have so many things to obsess over, there wouldn't be as much to talk about. This is one series where the fact that it's a kid's show is not an excuse, and in fact makes the series even more interesting, so I say discuss away.

I don't think the fandom would be very big if we never came up with theories, wrote fan fictions or anypized the show, some times too much. It encourages creativity and helps to keep the fandom alive. It is one of the reasons that I believe the fandom will last long after the show finishes. If it was designed for small children and was poorly written then I doubt their would be such a large fan awe behind it.

I hate it when people use that argument. It's obnoxious, ignorant, and worn out.

Just because it's a kid's show doesn't free it from any sort of criticism, and if someone doesn't like an episode, the target audience shouldn't really, you know, mean anything :confused: We're fans of the product. Just because the target audience is children doesn't mean we have to like everything it produces.

Honestly, I'm so confused about the kid's show argument I feel I'm having trouble explaining it right now. It just comes down to the fact we don't have to like everything the show puts out just because of the intended audience. It doesn't make any sense to me :confused:

• Brohoof 1

Well it's always going to be a kids show , but doesnt mean it can't have an older following, alot of shows that are 'kids shows' like DBZ, pokemon, yu-gi-oh etc have large adult followings too 

stories told in broad strokes

Yes! Personally I love the concept of simplicity inviting complexity. Hemingway and Salinger were some of the best authors of their day. More than a handful or literary analysis suggests that some of their broad strokes or perceived symbolism were intentional, while others were not. I think that some of the MLP writers are creating tactical gaps intentionally (Larson eludes to this)  due to the limitations of a 22 minute show.

Here is an interesting question. Since the narrative and world building leaves it up to the viewer to interpret (which I love), can this be taking as an indictment of a persons lack of imagination if they claim that there is inconsistency or a lack of depth?

Sonicrainboom97, on 08 Sept 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Try to look deeper it's not just about fighting and insulting. For example the show sometimes have humor that i doubt a that a kid would understand. I think that even if hasbro made it for little girls, still thought about parents of those little girls. It's more likely that the kid get toys and merch from the parents if the parents think it's a good show.

Yea, while I do think darker is cool and all, he mostly seems to believe insulting, blood, death, and constant fighting = adults. He also has some belief g1 was dark (hardly) Mlp can be analyzed in many different directions and has tackled some mature storylines, that alone means it is a show older people can enjoy and critique, as it is one of the best cartoons released.

No disrespect intended and all, just my opinion

Edited by ryanmahaffe

Yea, while I do think darker is cool and all, he mostly seems to believe insulting, blood, death, and constant fighting = adults. He also has some belief g1 was dark (hardly) Mlp can be analyzed in many different directions and has tackled some mature storylines, that alone means it is a show older people can enjoy and critique, as it is one of the best cartoons released.

No disrespect intended and all, just my opinion

Totally on your side :) This is exactly what I ,too, ment. MLP is a kid show but in the same time very mature. The next time someone ask me why i whatch a show for little girls,I'm going to tell them to whatch an episode or shut up xD

I have always found it painfully ironic that those that are quick to point out that FiM is "just a kid's show" are often themselves not kids to begin with that watch a kid's show.