Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Fluttershy have an alter-ego?

TheMisterManGuy

Fluttershy alter-ego  

11 users have voted

1. 1. Should Fluttershy have an alternate identity?

• Yes
    • No

Its generally common in media that a shy/doormat character usually has some sort of alternate identity or Split-personality of sorts. There's Stanley Ipkiss with The Mask. Bruce Banner and The Hulk. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Noire and her "Inner Demon" from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Toko Fukawa and Gennocide Jill from Dangan Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. and even Momoka Nishizawa from Sgt. Frog. I've been thinking, what if the biggest reason Fluttershy is so reclusive is that she too has an alter-ego caused from both psychological and possibly physical abuse from other pegasi and maybe her own family, that she's afraid would surface, and not only takes care of animals to keep her mind off it, but is also trying to stand up for herself WITHOUT revealing this second side of her. The show has hinted that there's something deeper going on in that timid head of hers before (if you ask me, she has the most profound dark side of the entire Mane 6), so do you think they should formally introduce an alter-ego for Fluttershy? I actually see a lot of potential for this, as it could give her more episode variety, and also make her more unpredictable because you never know when she'll go into evil mode.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy

Well, she has the whole interest in clothes making, so that's a secret side that could be implemented into an alternate ego. However, I don't really think she should have a dark alter ego like the one you described. It just seems to dark to me for the show, and would feel out of place in an otherwise positive show.

And all of them eventually go into an insane form at least once throughout the show, and I think that's enough for the show.

Well, she has the whole interest in clothes making, so that's a secret side that could be implemented into an alternate ego. However, I don't really think she should have a dark alter ego like the one you described. It just seems to dark to me for the show, and would feel out of place in an otherwise positive show.

And all of them eventually go into an insane form at least once throughout the show, and I think that's enough for the show.

She doesn't have to just go from sweet to cold constantly though, at least, not at first. They could introduce her alter-ego as a sort of anti-hero rival to the rest of the mane 6 without them knowing its Fluttershy. Then as a pseudo-ally, then eventually, reveal herself as Fluttershy, and then have a story of her past and have Fluttershy use her alternate persona as an assertive backup for kindness, as opposed to her own selfish and rebellious desires. That's a rough way to go about it, but basically, the show doesn't have to be 100% happy all the time, as long as bad actions are portrayed in a negative light, rather than a faulty moral, its OK to throw a little bit of cynicism in here and there, which the show has done before.

She doesn't have to just go from sweet to cold constantly though, at least, not at first. They could introduce her alter-ego as a sort of anti-hero rival to the rest of the mane 6 without them knowing its Fluttershy. Then as a pseudo-ally, then eventually, reveal herself as Fluttershy, and then have a story of her past and have Fluttershy use her alternate persona as an assertive backup for kindness, as opposed to her own selfish and rebellious desires. That's a rough way to go about it, but basically, the show doesn't have to be 100% happy all the time, as long as bad actions are portrayed in a negative light, rather than afaulty moral, its OK to throw a little bit cynicism in here and there, which the show has done before.

Yeah, but the show has never gone into abuse before, and I don't think that's a topic suited for My Little Pony, and having Fluttershy have some sort of tragic past seems odd to me. Having a rival would be kind of cool, but I can't think of any reason Fluttershy would have to want to do that. And her true self would go against her whole Element of Kindness thing. So, overall, I think it's a cool idea, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense based on what has already been established in the show.

Yeah, but the show has never gone into abuse before, and I don't think that's a topic suited for My Little Pony, and having Fluttershy have some sort of tragic past seems odd to me. Having a rival would be kind of cool, but I can't think of any reason Fluttershy would have to want to do that. And her true self would go against her whole Element of Kindness thing. So, overall, I think it's a cool idea, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense based on what has already been established in the show.

Fluttershy would still be kind, she would just be expressing her anger and frustration under a different identity, while hiding her true element. She wouldn't really hurt the Mane 6, just calling them out on their flaws and screwing with them. And there is a way they can do this, I have a headcanon where Fluttershy used to work for a mysterious organization before as a teenager, and to do this, her old boss, who is a supernatural shadow entity, would blackmail Fluttershy to do a few jobs for him, or her friends would die. It would be similar to Nami's situation from One Piece where

Nami comes off as as cold hearted when working for Arlong, but deep down, she despised Arlong, and really liked Luffy and company, and she didn't want to work for Arlong, but had to as it was the only way for her to buy her village back.

Fluttershy is kind, but not pure. There's certainly a lot of resentment, and anger, and a little bit of cynicism under the meek exterior. But she really cares for her animals and friends, so much so, she's willing to reveal only some of her true strength.

Good grief do we really need to add another trope to Fluttershy's character? I can hear Tommy Oliver now XP

Wait, she has too many tropes?

I'm not sure if anything really happened to create an alter ego. It seems that she has always been shy. Alter egos are created to help one cope with something.

For me, I have one who is a bully, a reminder of my past mostly, but he will insult others when angry. 

Then there is the optimist, which was created after feeling like all hope is lost. (yes, I just referenced the Sea Ponies song.)

Then there is me. The one with nothing interesting. 

My alter egos were created after losing a lot of friends and constant pain I have to deal with. Fluttershy is just shy. She doesn't seem to have multiple personalities or anything like that. She can get angry, but she is typically shy. Her name is FlutterSHY, so I don't think she was very outgoing as a little filly. 

Putting Your Hoof Down, Power Ponies, etc. weren't enough?

Those gave us glimpses of who she could be underneath, but not the full picture. Like I said, The writers have hinted at it before, but haven't formally explained it.

You can be shy and have anger issues. It doesn't mean you have DID. 

I don't just mean disociative identity disorder either, I mean another side to her emotions, what she really feels. I'm talking about deliberately creating another alias (not necessarily a Split-personality per say), to express these emotions.

I don't just mean disociative identity disorder either, I mean another side to her emotions, what she really feels.

Easy. She cares deeply about animals and her friends, so when provoked, she will defend them... well... sometimes... (Fluttershy only concerned about her friends then getting angry when the Mane-iac swapped away a dragonfly.)

Putting your Hoof Down, she just confused assertiveness with being mean. 

Other times, it was because an animal or friend was hurt.

Easy. She cares deeply about animals and her friends, so when provoked, she will defend them... well... sometimes... (Fluttershy only concerned about her friends then getting angry when the Mane-iac swapped away a dragonfly.)

Putting your Hoof Down, she just confused assertiveness with being mean. 

Other times, it was because an animal or friend was hurt.

Yes she really does care for her animals and friends, but at the same time, she also has a lot of criticisms, anger, strength, possibly rebelliousness she clearly repressess from everypony. I'm talking about releasing those emotions under a separate identity. As I said, she wouldn't hurt the mane 6 as this alter-ego, just make wise-craking comments and subtle criticisms.

Fluttershy already does have an alter-ego, she has gone off on massive uncontrollable rages in the past numerous times

Yes, they've hinted at it, but they haven't formally revealed one yet.

I think they should provide a reason if they make Fluttershy have an alternate identity. Im still not shore I'd like it. I did't like when I saw her get mean in "Puttibe your hoof down." I think she's fine how she is.

Fluttershy will have an alter-ego that will be even kinder than her current version. That character will the be villain of season 5 because alter ego Fluttershy will cuddle everyone into their sleep (Obviously not death duh...) and rule over Equestria all alone. Maybe Discord will rule beside her.

Edited by Cakebandit

I think they should provide a reason if they make Fluttershy have an alternate identity. Im still not shore I'd like it. I did't like when I saw her get mean in "Puttibe your hoof down." I think she's fine how she is.

The alter-ego doesn't have to be anything like Putting Your Hoof Down. It could be just a smart-talking rebel with anti-hero like qualities. Think Dante, Spider-Man, and Dark Pit put in a blender.

Yes,I would like an alter ego for Fluttershy.

She's the kindest out of the group,she has to have a dark side.

And I mean a "dark dark dark" side.

Remember its a kids show, so we can't have her murdering ponies or anything.

Remember its a kids show, so we can't have her murdering ponies or anything.

No. Of course not. That would be cool,though.

I just mean a mean and insane personality that she hides.

Will probably never happen though.

No. Of course not. That would be cool,though.

I just mean a mean and insane personality that she hides.

Will probably never happen though.

I was thinking more of a vigilante-type anti-hero. A snarky and sarcastic hooded rebel who is a personification of Fluttershy's repressed thoughts and emotions.

• Brohoof 1

I was thinking more of a vigilante-type anti-hero. A snarky and sarcastic hooded rebel who is a personification of Fluttershy's repressed thoughts and emotions.

Vigilante's kill too. So,she can catch criminals or kill them.

Although,there still isn't any evidence suggesting that Serial killers,kidnappers,burglars,gangsters,or corrupt politicians even exist in Equestria. So.

Vigilante's kill too. So,she can catch criminals or kill them.

Although,there still isn't any evidence suggesting that Serial killers,kidnappers,burglars,gangsters,or corrupt politicians even exist in Equestria. So.

Not kill though, remember, she's the Element of Kindness. More like getting mischievous revenge on those who picked/pick on her. Basically by just vandalizing their property.

Not kill though, remember, she's the Element of Kindness. More like getting mischievous revenge on those who picked/pick on her. Basically by just vandalizing their property.

Better yet. Murder. :fiery:   (But,that's just me.)