technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Something's wrong with this picture.  Why would you have a kickass computer, but use a console type controller???  Get thee a kickass mouse and gaming pad, and quick!

Actually the 360 controller is one of the best controllers to use on PC. All the ones designed specifically for PC tend to be crappy x_x

Actually the 360 controller is one of the best controllers to use on PC. All the ones designed specifically for PC tend to be crappy x_x

I'll keep my G14 keypad and G502 mouse.  A mouse and keypad will run rings around anyone with a console type controller any day of the week  :)

I'll keep my G14 keypad and G502 mouse.  A mouse and keypad will run rings around anyone with a console type controller any day of the week   :)

But what about games that control better with a controller than a KB+M? Because those exist, you know.

• Brohoof 1

I'll keep my G14 keypad and G502 mouse.  A mouse and keypad will run rings around anyone with a console type controller any day of the week   :)

Try Dark Souls with KB+M.  Not a fun experience.

But what about games that control better with a controller than a KB+M? Because those exist, you know.

I don't see how that's possible.  Keypad gives you a ton more keys that you can use and program them any way you want to.  The mouse gives you a level of precision that I just don't see happening with a controller.  I would bet money that any game that plays good with a controller could be played better with a keypad and mouse.  You just have so much more to work with on a keypad and mouse.  I've been playing games since the original Doom, so I have quite a bit of experience here.  The only thing I can see that may be more useful than a keyboard/mouse is the driving wheel and pedal systems for racing games.

I don't see how that's possible.  Keypad gives you a ton more keys that you can use and program them any way you want to.  The mouse gives you a level of precision that I just don't see happening with a controller.  I would bet money that any game that plays good with a controller could be played better with a keypad and mouse.  You just have so much more to work with on a keypad and mouse.  I've been playing games since the original Doom, so I have quite a bit of experience here.  The only thing I can see that may be more useful than a keyboard/mouse is the driving wheel and pedal systems for racing games.

I'm talking about things like Super Meat Boy, Sonic, Dark Souls and other games like that. Games designed for a controller. I mean, sure, a keyboard is more versatile, but some games just work way better with a controller.

Of course, a KB+M will always win in a shooter, but in a platformer, where depth sensitivity in movement is a necessity? Use a controller.

• Brohoof 1

I'm talking about things like Super Meat Boy, Sonic, Dark Souls and other games like that. Games designed for a controller. I mean, sure, a keyboard is more versatile, but some games just work way better with a controller.

Of course, a KB+M will always win in a shooter, but in a platformer, where depth sensitivity in movement is a necessity? Use a controller.

I guess if I played on a console, I'd probably agree, but I pretty much play PC games only.  I have played a lot of rpg type games similar to DS2...never played DS2, though

I guess if I played on a console, I'd probably agree, but I pretty much play PC games only.  I have played a lot of rpg type games similar to DS2...never played DS2, though

Aside from Pokémon and a few other console games from my childhood, I pretty much only play PC games too. And I understand that the KB+M isn't a universal "fits everything" input method.

The whole point of the PC is that you're not restricted in what peripherals you can use, anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Dark Souls 2 has better KB+M support than Dark Souls 1.  But I'd still recommend playing both with a controller (or mod the crap out of them so that the KB+M controls are better).

• Brohoof 2

I'll stick with a 360 controller for the games that can use it. Besides, most games have 360 or xbox one controller support out of the box.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Thanks for the link but the monitor is not getting any signal when I connect it to the gpu.

Edit:  I looked in BIOS and didn't see my GPU there.  I tried taking it out and putting it back in but that didn't work.  Should I try a different slot?

Ok so, I moved my gpu to another slot and it finally worked.  I was able to update my gpu and The Witcher 3 is working on high without any really noticeable lag to it.  Thanks for the help! :kindness: 

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Got a quick question for everyone. When the time arrives, are you going to update to Windows 10?

I may. It all depends if Windows 10 would support Assassin's Creed: Syndicate when it comes out.

Or any other game, for that matter.

Edited by Edward Kenway

When the time arrives, are you going to update to Windows 10?

maybe a little late on the reply. but i have been using windows 10 for a pretty long while already. the developer previews are pretty impressive i think, and i will most definitely get the full version when it comes out!

(edited)

Just bought Kerbal Space Program on Steam. When I get my electricity back, gonna install right away and play.

Edited by Celli

I've been addicted to GTA 5 for the last few days. Holy crap is it so much better to play with a keyboard and mouse than a controller.. I'm finding it so much easier to aim on a mouse than I did on a PS3 controller!

These I have bought so far from sale:

-Monaco

-Hotline Miami

-Wolfenstein Old Blood

-The Witcher

-The Witcher 2

-Sonic

-Sonic 2

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles

-Sonic CD

-All Hitman games

-Cities: Skylines Deluxe

-Watch_Dogs Deluxe

-Plants vs Zombies

-Various PAYDAY 2 DLCs

-Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

-Splinter Cell

-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

I was helping someone come up with a cheap but powerful PC build when this guy came in. Can't tell if trolling or just really stupid.

65801.png

• Brohoof 1

Alrighty.

She's put away at the moment due to budgetary reasons.

Buuuut.

Cooler Master HAF 912 Case

NZXT fan readout.

MSI GD-45 X58a Mobo

2X LG Blu-ray Burners. I have no idea about their exact specs, this PC is over 5 years old now.

1000MW Corsair PSU.

16GB Adata 2100 MHZ DDR3 Ram.

Intel I7 970x OC'ed ti 4.1ghz

Crossfired Radeon HD 6970's. (2gb GDDR 5 @

2 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDD's.

32 Inch Panasonic Viera HDTV.

Sound Blaster Platinum 7.1 Sound card.

Speakers are a frankensteined JVC Stereo with some Logitech 7.1 surround sound speakers.

Killer Gigabyte Ethernet card.

NetGear Wireless N WiFi antenna.

standard Microsoft qwerty Keyboard.

Standard 5 button Ibuypower mouse.

• 2 weeks later...