Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Celestia get a new pupil?

Zoraxe

Before Twilight, it was Sunset Shimmer (and who knows how many others). So now that Twilight graduated, it would make sense for Celestia to get a new star student. I think that would be neat, it might be a way to get Twilight to be more independent of Celestia if Twilight is no longer Celestia's focus.

Mentor figures usually get in the way of a characters development after a certain point, thats why in fiction they usually die or in some other drastic way stop being the mentor. Celestia has too much of an influence over Twilight (Twilight is such a minion), that if Celestia takes on a new student it would be a positive effect on the story and on Twilight.

• Brohoof 6

I really hope so. I like the idea of several powerful unicorns throughout Equestria. In terms of magic, let's face it. Most of them are complete pushovers.

Of the ones that aren't, Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer both were pupils of Celestia. Who knows Trixie's backstory (probably exists somewhere in the comics or something, but I don't know it), and Shining Armor was trained by the royal guard. In other words... It looks like if more non-pushover unicorns are going to exist, chances are they'll go through Celestia to get there.

(P.S. I really wanna see pony Sunset Shimmer duel pony Trixie.)

I'll throw a curveball in this discussion. Why not a Pegasus or Earth Pony as her new pupil? It would bring a deeper and more interesting dynamic to the show if all the characters expected a unicorn, yet Celestia chooses a different race.

• Brohoof 3

If it would mean more Celestia focused episodes then sure, I'm all for it, but I have no idea what character it could possible be or how they would make it relevant. I don't mind Celestia staying as Twilight's mentor though, would rather see Twilight get a pupil. I think it would be more interesting for the show, either a new character, or Trixie

Edited by Jaref
  • Brohoof 1

I'll throw a curveball in this discussion. Why not a Pegasus or Earth Pony as her new pupil? It would bring a deeper and more interesting dynamic to the show if all the characters expected a unicorn, yet Celestia chooses a different race.

Interesting concept; I think. It's one that I hadn't thought of previously, but it would be VERY interesting to see if they tackle such a thing.

I will admit that it is difficult for me to imagine as I struggle to think what she could teach a non-unicorn. I mean, let's say if Lightning Dust is her new pupil, I can see her being taught friendship lessons, but aside from that, what else?

• Brohoof 1

If Celestia gets a new pupil, it would probably be a new character.

I'd have to agree. As much as I'd like to see Trixie as such, it's hard to see Celestia going for a familiar character. I have to wonder though, does Celestia even need a new pupil. Twilight has essentially done what Celestia wanted from her, so is there even a point to a new pupil?

• Brohoof 1

Interesting concept; I think. It's one that I hadn't thought of previously, but it would be VERY interesting to see if they tackle such a thing.

I will admit that it is difficult for me to imagine as I struggle to think what she could teach a non-unicorn. I mean, let's say if Lightning Dust is her new pupil, I can see her being taught friendship lessons, but aside from that, what else?

Funny you should say Lightning Dust, because she would likely be an optimal character for this little idea. At least her archetype. Each of the races have an innate magical quality, some stronger than others. Unicorns possess innate magic that is focused by their horns and spells. Similarly some pegasi are more gifted than others. We know that Twi was because of her unnatural gifts, but there is always the question of Celestia perhaps knowing that she may one day be able to who she is now. At least to some degree. A sense of predestination and prophecy if you prefer.

What if there was a Pegasi who also fit the concept of a young character, dangerously gifted in their innate magical qualities, and unable to control her abilities? Imagine a young Storm of the X-Men pre Xavier. Perhaps she comes to Celestia for guidance in controlling this gift.

The story potential in dealing with this from the Mane Six's perspective makes me salivate. And I think I have my NaNoWriMo story. :D

I have to wonder though, does Celestia even need a new pupil. Twilight has essentially done what Celestia wanted from her, so is there even a point to a new pupil?

What if it's the new pupil who might need Celestia.

• Brohoof 1

Funny you should say Lightning Dust, because she would likely be an optimal character for this little idea. At least her archetype. Each of the races have an innate magical quality, some stronger than others. Unicorns possess innate magic that is focused by their horns and spells. Similarly some pegasi are more gifted than others. We know that Twi was because of her unnatural gifts, but there is always the question of Celestia perhaps knowing that she may one day be able to who she is now. At least to some degree. A sense of predestination and prophecy if you prefer.

What if there was a Pegasi who also fit the concept of a young character, dangerously gifted in their innate magical qualities, and unable to control her abilities? Imagine a young Storm of the X-Men pre Xavier. Perhaps she comes to Celestia for guidance in controlling this gift.

The story potential in dealing with this from the Mane Six's perspective makes me salivate. And I think I have my NaNoWriMo story. :D

What if it's the new pupil who might need Celestia.

I like how you think. :D

Honestly, never really thought of it like that. Twilight & Sunset both have indeed shown talents that far exceed others, who are more specialized like Trixie & Vinyl. Similarly, Lightning is a pegasus who is immensely talented (more so than others like Fluttershy, whose talents lie elsewhere anyway), but could benefit from some teaching from a gifted & patient teacher (you have to be patient to deal with Sunset for as long as she did in the comic).

Which kinda goes hand-in-hand with my other point. Lightning would be a very good candidate for that, if Spitfire pretty much threw her out of the Wonderbolts.

It would have to be Buttooooooon Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaash. It could work, he's a cool colt.

However, that probably will not happen.

I know this won't happen either, but wouldn't be interesting if it was a male character? Like a male Pegasus or something. I am unsure what he would need to learn from Sunbasket herself, but that could be half of the fun! It could be a young colt too. We don't have any other 'important' colt's beyond some random appearances like Snips and Snails, Pipsqueak, and some others. They need to introduce a new cute colt, like me. ^3^ (Yup) Him being a pupil of Sunbasket would be way more interesting too.

I like the idea, but I think it'll be a while before she gets another pupil, since it seems each one she gets becomes an Alicorn (which makes me wonder if Sunset has yet to fufill her potential).

I think if she does get a new pupil soon, I'm hoping it'll be an earth pony, since Cadence was a pegasus, and then Sunset and Twilight were her students, and they were unicorns.  So I think it would be nice if that came full circle, and we got and earth pony apprentice to Princess Celestia.

• 4 weeks later...

Princess C has been taking special students a LONG time (I've read Starswirl was her student)  IMO, she was aware that Nightmare Moon was due to be released & recruited the Mane 6.  Sunset Shimmer was her student & due to take Twilights job before turning on PC.

She has been trying to create a new Alicorn since Starswirl's day.  Now that she has succeeded, maybe she wants a rest (A lot has happened in the last year.  Her nerves are shot, Ariel).  Or, perhaps, since there have been 2 new Alicorns after all this time, it is time to try for more! When you're hot, you're hot.

Cadence was a Pegasus at 1st & had some magic.  Zecora has some spells.  This shows non Unicorns can cast spells, it is probably just harder for them w no horn for a focus.  Lightning Dust has some potential, Sunset Shimmer deserves a 2nd chance, Sweetie Belle is just coming in to her magic (C owes T a favor.  If Rarity pushed Twilight, Get C to help my sister....?)  It could be like The New Mutants or Generation 13 to the X Men.

I realize, they've got 10 characters already, there is No (Danger) Room  For More.  But, maybe a new comic line?   

Before Twilight, it was Sunset Shimmer (and who knows how many others). So now that Twilight graduated, it would make sense for Celestia to get a new star student. I think that would be neat, it might be a way to get Twilight to be more independent of Celestia if Twilight is no longer Celestia's focus.

Mentor figures usually get in the way of a characters development after a certain point, thats why in fiction they usually die or in some other drastic way stop being the mentor. Celestia has too much of an influence over Twilight (Twilight is such a minion), that if Celestia takes on a new student it would be a positive effect on the story and on Twilight.

I've even thought that, 'how will Twilight handle Celestia's new student' would make a great episode.  Not to mention the hope that perhaps the new student will be particularly great and powerful...

It would be awesome if she did, although I doubt the show would show it. That would mean having to end Twilight and her friend's adventures. Still, it will still exist in the fanbase!

I like to think that Celestia alternates students: a student skilled in earth pony magic, a student skilled in pegasus magic, etc...

I don't think so, because Sunset failed as her pupil, and it seems like Celestia needed someone to replace her, or at least, someone to take care of business to lighten the load, so to speak. And she succeeded in that regard.

If Sun-Butt got a new apprentice, it'd give us a chance to see how Twi would feel about it. Would she feel heartbroken because she'd been replaced? Would she be jealous that Celestia's attention would shift to the new kid? Or maybe she'd be chill and wonder if the new kid would end up an alicorn too.

I'm all for Celestia but let me ask you: What if it was Luna that got an apprentice? If she got one, Twi wouldn't feel like she was being replaced, the sisters would get more screen time, and we'd get to have an idea on how Twilight was taught. Luna would get to learn how to fit in faster with a pony born and raised in the modern age, we'd probably get more characterization from the sisters, and we'd get more history! What better source than a book? A pony that lived it!

If Hasbro wants to continue MLP but not make the same thing overstay it's welcome like Spongebob, they should do that. Make Gen5 about the apprentice and the teacher, keep the fandom going, get more toys! Everybody wins!