What are you listening to right now?

Crispy

This switch in tone just happened, thought you guys would get a laugh.

Went from this:

to this:

Goes from "All I really need's a smile, smile, smile from these happy friends of mine." to "Onward to the gallows, my mother begins to cry. I spit upon the crowds. You're all going to fucking die."

I love shuffle.

Today I was reminded just how much God Bless Tiny TIm is one of my favorite albums ever. For someone who was mainly seen as a novelty act, his debut album offers a rich, eclectic* variety of tunes. The first, Strawberry Tea, is the quintessence of lush serenity thanks to producer Richard Perry's string arrangements.

The second is an interesting exercise in shifting between song segments. The opening bass is a bassline in '68 akin to what could later be heard on Joy Division songs. It also sets an ominous tone that would be better shared by the sinking humans who instead choose to merrily sing pub songs as they're submerged.

Incidentally, these two songs are right next to each other in this exact order on the album. I encourage everyone to hunt this down and go through the whole thing. Another song worth noting on this album is "Living in the Sunlight, Loving in the Moonlight" which you may recognize as the song that opened the debut episode of Spongebob Squrepants. And there's "Tiptoe Through the Tulips," but that goes without saying.

* The word eclectic gets tossed around a lot these days, especially on shows like NPR's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" where it doesn't always fit, but it's an apt descriptive of this album.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch
  • Brohoof 1