Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New youtuber looking for advice

newfrickinshow

Okay, I've been thinking about starting a season 5 blind reaction playlist on youtube when season 5 begins and I was just wondering the community could help me with a few things.  My knowledge of video editing is poor at best and was looking for general advice on how to make a good vid and how to increase your online profile/viewership. 

I've done one kind of crappy video on Windows Movie Maker reviewing Rainbow Rocks a couple days ago.  Since I'm completely new to everything involved in the process any advice you're willing to give would be helpful and appreciated.  I know a better mic, camera, and lighting need to be worked out but anything to improve presentation would of course be liked as well.

Thanks.

My Video if you want to see what I've done

• Brohoof 2

ah then you have come to the right guy now I have been a YouTuber since Jan of 13 and I have leaned quite a bit on how to get views and subs

the obvious one is have good equipment and editing software you will also need the knowledge how to use your software (as for me I don't have any so I'm waiting until I can afford some)

you need to find a topic and stick with it if your a gaming channel only do videos about gaming and you can do QnA when you get asked a lot of questions and other things but majority of your videos need to stay on your channels topic

you cannot be boring in your videos you need to try to get your viewers attention I do this on my channel by being funny and sarcastic a lot

and finally don't give up on making videos because your view count and sub count is low the more you keep making videos, the more videos you make the more likely it is for your channel to get noticed

that is my advice to you 

• Brohoof 2

you need to find a topic and stick with it

Well I do plan to keep the channel strictly MLP for now.  For a long time I argued between that and doing youtube videos on political/social/religious commentary but decided I was too depressed as it is and I should try to do something light hearted that would get me out of the dumps instead.  I may still do it once I get better but that'll probably be a different channel.

Well I've now got 3 videos up and am continuing to work things out.  Gotten a bit better since acquiring some software.  Anypony mind if I ask for tips on how to increase my visibility and viewership?  I suck at social networking so any help would be appreciated.  And as long as I'm at it, here's a link to my youtube channel in the hopes some of you join my subscribers list :-)

https://www.youtube.com/user/newfrickinshow/

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've been thinking about starting a season 5 blind reaction playlist on youtube when season 5 begins and I was just wondering the community could help me with a few things.  My knowledge of video editing is poor at best and was looking for general advice on how to make a good vid and how to increase your online profile/viewership. 

I've done one kind of crappy video on Windows Movie Maker reviewing Rainbow Rocks a couple days ago.  Since I'm completely new to everything involved in the process any advice you're willing to give would be helpful and appreciated.  I know a better mic, camera, and lighting need to be worked out but anything to improve presentation would of course be liked as well.

Thanks.

My Video if you want to see what I've done

The general advice that was given by almost every YouTuber is, just be yourself. When you are presenting yourself in front of the camera (even if you are off-camera and just recording your voice for specific portions of a video, etc), just act natural and be yourself. It's best to have your own character and personality differ from others, making you distinct and unique. Try not to go monotone, just be yourself like you normally would when you are around your friends, family, etc.

I hope you find this tip helpful.  :squee:

Edited by Jonny Music

I hope you find this tip helpful

I find every bit helpful.  I've so far posted commentaries for Rainbow Rocks and all the episodes through Bridle Gossip.  So far I'm up to 6 subs and around 600 views so things aren't lighting up the world but definitely progressing.

• Brohoof 1

Just do what you love. I actually asked this question on a livestream with, I believe, ILoveKimPossibleALot, and she told me that you should just do what you love. On my youtube, I do speedpaints, because I love to draw. If you love to make movies, then film and post. If you love being funny, make comedies. Whatever you like doing will make you unique. 

• Brohoof 2

Visually speaking, I suggest you give up most of the screen to the episode itself--since you're just talking and people don't really need to see you to know what you're doing, it'd make more sense to show the episode in a larger part of the screen so people can know just whats going on without having to squint.

Visually speaking, I suggest you give up most of the screen to the episode itself--since you're just talking and people don't really need to see you to know what you're doing, it'd make more sense to show the episode in a larger part of the screen so people can know just whats going on without having to squint.

I plan to, just need to be careful.  If it gets too large the video can get flagged by Hasbro.  As it stands now Rainbow Rocks, Bridle Gossip, and Dragonshy have all already been flagged.  As long as it remains a smaller-sized window I can claim fair use based on commentary and reaction.  I may try to get a little bigger on-screen over time and hope I don't get into trouble.  I wish I knew the exact copyright rules but in the mean time I prefer to walk carefully.

Oh and my first video with my HD camera is finally up, and it's Winter Wrap Up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Sy4uPa0_0

• Brohoof 1

Make sure you're offering something reasonably unique. If your reviews are in the same format, reach the same conclusions and use he same kind of humor as everybody else's, viewers have no reason to watch your channel.

Here's some advice:

don't beg for people to watch your videos. Your fame will come to you.

Yeah, hard not to.  Just using my limited knowledge of social media to push it but I'm told collabs and shout-outs from people already with a big audience are what I really need.  So for the time being I'll just keep working, keep trying to get better, and hope one of the more popular dudes on Youtube will name-drop me.

• Brohoof 1

Channel Views is more important than Subs. You can find yourself with 5k subs but only to see that only 300 people actually watch your content. It will remain stagnant. The higher your channel views, the higher the amount of people will watch your content regardless if you have less than 100 subs.

Keep pumping out quality content but never do so with the "I have to" mentality. I monetize my songs and they provide me with weekly pocket money. The fact that converting a dollar to our currency is a big deal since I get a whole lot with just a dollar but that's another story. I don't upload on a weekly basis, I rarely do song requests. I upload when I want and what I want. BUT if you're the kind of person who likes to pamper the crowd, then that's up to you.

As a musician, I follow the saying "If you want people to listen to your songs, give them your songs." Do the same in your context.

I used to have a channel with over 600k subs way back. I decided to stop because of the pressure it put me into. I went incognito, left without warning and started a new channel, deleting the old one, that I now consider as a creative dump. Things changed though. Instead of having yes men surround me, or fans and whatnot, I actually got business opportunities. I got game companies asking me to make songs/sfx left and right, indie groups aswell. I'm so overwhelemed that I had to use an autoresponder just to keep up with all the incoming emails. In the end, though, I prefer to work for free.

Make an interesting and funny humor, crack jokes, not too many otherwise it'll bore people and make sure to use as many tags as possible, my first few videos had about 5 tags and went completely unnoticed, I then put about 50 tags on a video and it got over 4000 views in a day, not bad for about 50 subs :3 but still;

Be funny, not too funny and tag everything!

Hope this helps :)