Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is magical talking hooved animal world as great as we think?

ManaMinori

I understand what you're saying, honestly I do. But if you compare the little "problems" Equestria has compared to what kind of problems our world has, you'll see Equestria coming out on top. We have wars, millions of people die every day from famine, people starve to death and have to live on the streets. There is no magic in our world. :(

Their claim is not simply baseless and it's pompous and rude to try to dismiss it as such.

While it has been shown that some stallions have attained success in certain areas, the fact is that only alicorn mares possess any real political power and influence over Equestria. Alicorn mares who, I might add, have attained their position not by being elected by the citizenry or appointed through any type of consensus but rather by hereditary titles and connection. Despite her title Celestia acts far more like a queen when she wants to, and her power and apparent immortality as well as that of her sister make Equestria seem more like a theocratic state.

img-3250007-1-attachicon.gif95233+-+Alicorn+artist+br0ny+being_awesome+celestia+princess.png

Doesn't seem very egalitarian to me.

Well, sure then, as long as all current alicorns are female, it's reasonable enough to make the argument that Equestria's GOVERNMENT is matriarchal, at least at the highest levels, since we don't see much of it below that and thus can't make a comment. On the other hand, their SOCIETY as presented in the cartoon does indeed seem rather egalitarian in it's current state. For example, there is a seemingly equal spread of mares and stallions in many different careers and positions, (relative to what the show has managed to present to us so far). That includes business/shop owners or managers, celebrities, the Wonderbolts, and other such things, as well as more average careers.

Again, I simply see no indication of discrimination or one gender being all that advantaged. The ONLY two POTENTIAL anomolies to that rule that I can think of are the alicorns and the royal guard. Given the fact that there are only four alicorns that we know of, it's likely that a stallion just hasn't yet managed to ascend, because again, it doesn't seem like something that's gonna be handed out due to title alone, and when it comes to the royal guard, I suspect DHX simply hasn't yet taken the time to make female guard art assets.

Also, heredity titles and connections? I was under the impression that alicornship is granted by achievement and capabilities, among other merits of some sort or another. Not that the show has given much elaboration on how alicornship is earned specifically. Alicorns in general aren't touched on as much as they could be.

And, my apologies if I have come off as rude. I've merely had this argument many times before with many different people, and it's a bit exhausting to carry it out over and over after a while.

Edited by Vixor

Their claim is not simply baseless and it's pompous and rude to try to dismiss it as such.

While it has been shown that some stallions have attained success in certain areas, the fact is that only alicorn mares possess any real political power and influence over Equestria. Alicorn mares who, I might add, have attained their position not by being elected by the citizenry or appointed through any type of consensus but rather by hereditary titles and connection. Despite her title Celestia acts far more like a queen when she wants to, and her power and apparent immortality as well as that of her sister make Equestria seem more like a theocratic state.

attachicon.gif95233+-+Alicorn+artist+br0ny+being_awesome+celestia+princess.png

Doesn't seem very egalitarian to me.

There are two ways to proceed here, to my knowledge, but feel free to correct.

One, you're seeing Equestria as a living world, independent of the influence of the writers. In that case, they cannot be blamed, as there are currently no males that would accurately fill the royalty position. It's not due to the whims of a matriarchial society, but happenstance, and protesting it is like complaining that there hasn't been a drop of rain in your town in 40 years.

Two, you're seeing it as a "false" world, actively controlled by the writers. In which case, the show was made predominately for girls, and moreso, to break the stereotypes that girls can't do or be anything successful. Naturally, they'd have females in the main position of power(though its not like males aren't ruling in Equestria). You'd be blaming the show staff for doing what the show's made for.

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 1

Well, sure then, as long as all current alicorns are female, it's reasonable enough to make the argument that Equestria's GOVERNMENT is matriarchal, at least at the highest levels, since we don't see much of it below that and thus can't make a comment. On the other hand, their SOCIETY as presented in the cartoon does indeed seem rather egalitarian in it's current state. For example, there is a seemingly equal spread of mares and stallions in many different careers and positions, (relative to what the show has managed to present to us so far). That includes business/shop owners or managers, celebrities, the Wonderbolts, and other such things, as well as more average careers.

My main point was indeed on Equestrian politics and their governmental structure or at least what we've been shown of it. I will add that the mayor of Ponyville is also a mare, one who apparently never runs for election. If her special talent is governance then does that mean she attained her position because of that? I admit it's only speculation but it makes me question if democratic concepts even exist in Equestria. But as far as the social and economic climate is concerned I would agree that it appears to be quite egalitarian, much more than our own anyway.

Also, heredity titles and connections? I was under the impression that alicornship is granted by achievement and capabilities, among other merits of some sort or another. Not that the show has given much elaboration on how alicornship is earned specifically.

Yes, but who decides the criteria for earning the position of alicorn? None other than Celestia herself apparently. Why is it no one else has a say in the selection of Equestria's leaders? Even Twilight herself wasn't given a definitive choice, she was just told it was her destiny and then had some wings put on her.

There are two ways to proceed here, to my knowledge, but feel free to correct.

One, you're seeing Equestria as a living world, independent of the influence of the writers. In that case, they cannot be blamed, as there are currently no males that would accurately fill the royalty position. It's not due to the whims of a matriarchial society, but happenstance, and protesting it is like complaining that there hasn't been a drop of rain in your town in 40 years.

Two, you're seeing it as a "false" world, actively controlled by the writers. In which case, the show was made predominately for girls, and moreso, to break the stereotypes that girls can't do or be anything successful. Naturally, they'd have females in the main position of power(though its not like males aren't ruling in Equestria). You'd be blaming the show staff for doing what the show's made for.

So you're basically saying that whichever way I'm approaching this concept, I'm still wrong? I get the feeling that you're just reacting to my criticism by being defensive of the show.

In order to enjoy a show like this there pretty much needs to be a suspenion of disbelief. However I'm not so delusional that I've forgotten that it is in fact still a television show.

On your first method of approach I would argue that I have every right to criticize the structure of this world and the problems I see in it. I don't buy "happenstance" as an excuse for the decisions and affairs of sentient(albeit fictional) beings.

And as for your second type of approach, I have no qualms at all with the writers trying to portray strong female characters, I welcome it. But I think the stereotype of weak defenseless girls who can't do anything is largely run out already despite some elements appearing in media outlets.

This franchise does perpetuate another sterotype though, that of young girls wanting to be princesses which is little more than a marketing ploy. This doesn't even cover the fact that the show obviously has appeal to other demographics than that one.

All in all I'm not going to excuse the writers for what I perceive as flaws simply because they can't or won't expand beyond the superficial limits that they've accustomed themselves to.

So you're basically saying that whichever way I'm approaching this concept, I'm still wrong? I get the feeling that you're just reacting to my criticism by being defensive of the show.

In order to enjoy a show like this there pretty much needs to be a suspenion of disbelief. However I'm not so delusional that I've forgotten that it is in fact still a television show.

On your first method of approach I would argue that I have every right to criticize the structure of this world and the problems I see in it. I don't buy "happenstance" as an excuse for the decisions and affairs of sentient(albeit fictional) beings.

And as for your second type of approach, I have no qualms at all with the writers trying to portray strong female characters, I welcome it. But I think the stereotype of weak defenseless girls who can't do anything is largely run out already despite some elements appearing in media outlets.

This franchise does perpetuate another sterotype though, that of young girls wanting to be princesses which is little more than a marketing ploy. This doesn't even cover the fact that the show obviously has appeal to other demographics than that one.

All in all I'm not going to excuse the writers for what I perceive as flaws simply because they can't or won't expand beyond the superficial limits that they've accustomed themselves to.

Well, I wasn't really being defensive, or wasn't trying to lead as such. I did say if their was another option, I wanted to hear it; these are the only two that came to mind.

The first is a problem because it is just "happenstance". All of the royalty(the princesses, in this case) did so because they proved mastery over eternal concepts, and proved they had the ability to harness those concepts for good, while also having an ability to rule. It's not really something that you can raise somepony to do, it's something they create. A male not being picked means that one simply hasn't displayed the qualities, not that they won't/wouldn't ever be picked for said position.

As for the second part, you have every right to criticize the staff. However, it is essentially their mission statement- make a show designed to reverse girl stereotypes. That's what they're working towards, and they're doing it nicely. They have male royalty, but its not the focus of the show, and there's not really a reason why it should be. It makes little sense within context; you don't watch He-man for cooking lessons, and you don't watch Sonic to learn how to fish.

...I honestly don't know where the bold came from,though. To my knowledge, the hatred of the princess stereotype came from the piss poor way they teach girls about royalty; princesses are typically portrayed as weak, have no personal responsibility, and always live with the knowledge that a swashbuckling hero will lift them out of danger when they can't do things yourself. The princesses have done many things to break that stereotype ; they don't abuse power and wealth, they have personal responsibilities, and they male sacrifices to help those around them, including risking their lives many, many times. I'm not sure how you can compare them to stereotypical princesses, when they're essentially benevolent queens, something we're sorely missing in media.

• Brohoof 1

Even if Equestria does give males equal opportunity, the show does a bad job of displaying it from a meta perspective when their most prominent male character (Spike) is considered to be out-of-place by the writers and is comically abused (which also gives credence to the theory that non-ponies don't have it so good, either) despite his story potential and potential for character development regarding his future. Additionally, if you ranked the most prominent male characters, you would also have two paper-thin characters who are nothing more than negative stereotypes (Snips and Snails). There are also the other examples others gave of the males more often being portrayed as villains or other kinds of negative characters.

I don't want to see males contrived into leadership roles or as full-time companions of the Mane 6. All I want is the show to be more respectful to its male characters because it could end up giving the wrong message to the target audience about men and boys. I just want to see a balance between the negative and positive portrayals. At least for all the Spikeabuse we got last season and the many appearances of Snips and Snails, we did get characters like Cheese Sandwich and Silver Shill.

To be fair, though, it seems that the show goes out of its way to take out any character who's not essential to the plot even when they could have had a good role, and leaves some female characters (Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon) underdeveloped and others (Applejack and Princess Luna) underutilized.

• Brohoof 3

@Shimmer5000 First and foremost I'd just like to point out that this discussion would be a lot more informed were there more content for us to use as a resource.

The first is a problem because it is just "happenstance". All of the royalty(the princesses, in this case) did so because they proved mastery over eternal concepts, and proved they had the ability to harness those concepts for good, while also having an ability to rule. It's not really something that you can raise somepony to do, it's something they create. A male not being picked means that one simply hasn't displayed the qualities, not that they won't/wouldn't ever be picked for said position.

The use of the term happenstance is not, in my view, a valid argument. Its the equivalent of saying "It is what it is." That doesnt mean its theoretically justified. So you can keep stating that but I'm not going to agree with it because I think there's much more to it than that. I also find it really hard to believe that in over a thousand years Princess Celestia could not find a single stallion that was deserving of the position of alicorn and yet in the span of a few years she rewards both Cadance and Twilight with it. Both of whom are mares of course.

As for the second part, you have every right to criticize the staff. However, it is essentially their mission statement- make a show designed to reverse girl stereotypes. That's what they're working towards, and they're doing it nicely. They have male royalty, but its not the focus of the show, and there's not really a reason why it should be. It makes little sense within context; you don't watch He-man for cooking lessons, and you don't watch Sonic to learn how to fish.

Well, wouldn't reversing a stereotype still leave you with just a backwards stereotype? If you reversed the stereotype that all female characters are weak then you would create the stereotype that they're all strong and powerful. Obviously that's ridiculous. I think trying to help young girls realize thier potential is a noble effort, I don't however think it should come at the expense of male characters and thier portrayal. Especially for a show with such a divers fanbase as this one.

Also, I am not suggesting that the male royalty should be the focus of the show at all nor am I suggesting that a male alicorn would or should have more importance were there to be one introduced. Just that it raises a question about how much equality really exists in Equestria.

...I honestly don't know where the bold came from,though. To my knowledge, the hatred of the princess stereotype came from the piss poor way they teach girls about royalty; princesses are typically portrayed as weak, have no personal responsibility, and always live with the knowledge that a swashbuckling hero will lift them out of danger when they can't do things yourself. The princesses have done many things to break that stereotype ; they don't abuse power and wealth, they have personal responsibilities, and they male sacrifices to help those around them, including risking their lives many, many times. I'm not sure how you can compare them to stereotypical princesses, when they're essentially benevolent queens, something we're sorely missing in media.

The bold was likely just a formatting glitch on my smart phone, I didn't really mean for that sentence to have any extra intent.

But since we're on the subject, you're right that princesses are commonly portrayed as weak and helpless. It's because they usually are. In real life princesses are simply female members of royalty, they generally don't have any particular traits or abilities that make them better than anyone else and they lead a sheltered, pampered lifestyle. They rely on others for their livelihood and protection.

I would agree with most of what you said about the princesses of Equestria though. I want to make it clear that I don't hate any of them, and that i agree they all have pstive qualities. But when you call them "benevolent queens" I don't particularly like that notion nor do I agree that it is needed in the media. Maybe it's my democratic sensibilities talking, but I do not consider the idea of any type of queen to be benevolent or ideal.

Edited by Roughshod
  • Brohoof 1

enstance is not, in my view, a valid argument. Its the equivalent of saying "It is what it is." That doesnt mean its theoretically justified. So you can keep stating that but I'm not going to agree with it because I think there's much more to it than that. I also find it really hard to believe that in over a thousand years Princess Celestia could not find a single stallion that was deserving of the position of alicorn and yet in the span of a few years she rewards both Cadance and Twilight with it. Both of whom are mares of course.

If you think there's more to it, explain. Otherwise, you're going against character values by suggesting that Celestia would be one to refuse the right to give someone something they justly earned,especially over something like gender. The qualities necessary to make an alicorn are rare enough that thousands of years is practical; the conditions are so tough that not even Star Swirl and the rest of the Mane Six were able to get in. There's currently no other candidates, male or female, that fit the bill.

Well, wouldn't reversing a stereotype still leave you with just a backwards stereotype? If you reserved the stereotype that all female characters are weak then you would create the stereotype that they're all strong and powerful. Obviously that's ridiculous. I think trying to help young girls realize thier potential is a noble effort, I don't however think it should come at the expense of male characters and thier portrayal. Especially for a show with such a divers fanbase as this one.

There's no expense here; Hasbro made their characters human. In FIM, girls can go out and save the world and still have time to have sleepovers and go see movies. They have emotional weaknesses and fears,etc. Strong, but never unrealistically so.

Males in MLP are the exact same; strong, but never unrealistically so. Shining Armor is the head of the Royal Guard, but can still cry at his sister's wedding. Spike is emotional, but still has the fortitude to have saved Everyone's lives at least twice by now. Discord, Spirit of Chaos, still feels crushed at the thought of betraying his friends. There's no expense here; male characters, when they're portrayed, are done so just as fairly as the females are.

Also, I am not  suggesting that the male royalty should be the focus of the show at all nor am I suggesting that a male alicorn would or should have more importance were there to be one introduced. Just that it raises a question about how much equality really exists in Equestria.

Quite a bit, actually:

post-28184-0-82275000-1415813335_thumb.png

There'd be a problem if there weren't any males there, but there are. It's also worth noting the male delegate from Saddle Arabia apparently is still higher ranked than Twilight from the proceedings in Twilight's Kingdom, so rankings are based on something other than gender.

There's really no oppression to speak of. Males can be royalty, hold jobs, and in general, do everything that females do.

post-28184-0-82275000-1415813335_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Oh yay.. A great place to live... Until the chickens turn you to stone ;)

Better than being pecked to death by a gang of them, right Link?

Anyway, yes, Equestria has problems, and despite of not being shown, I expect it to have some degree of serious crimes like murder and rape, but at least we have a serious and competent government which discourages those crimes to rise at our world levels, and that's a big plus

I think the world is similar enough, but the magic of Friendship and a FAR more optimistic lifestyle compared to ours makes their world far better in my opinion. We just have to remember we have not seen any real warfare beyond the Changeling attack and some minor problems with other creatures. 

We also don't know much about the world outside of Equestria other than the north being Crystal and Ice with the south being a land filled with Dragons. There is no knowledge of the world to the west or east(likely to avoid any issues with real world nations) other than a confusing-canon underwater kingdom.

Their society may have problems, but we have seen no signs of the most serious things that inflict ours. No rape, no murder, no poverty, to name a few. Sure there are childhood bullies, but the ponies don't have racism (specism?) 

They seem to live in complete harmony.

Just because they don't show it in the show, does not mean they actually happen. 

Just because they don't show it in the show, does not mean they actually happen. 

And contrarywise, just because they don't show it in the show, doesn't mean it actually does happen. Considering what we know and seen, though, it's far more likely it doesn't.

I would say that, on he whole, Equestria is a much nicer place than his world could ever hope to be, but I wonder how prevalent PTSD is among ponies when every couple of years or so they face a situation or evil tyrant that puts them closer than two minutes to midnight, only to be saved by the skin of their teeth.

• Brohoof 1

And contrarywise, just because they don't show it in the show, doesn't mean it actually does happen. Considering what we know and seen, though, it's far more likely it doesn't.

Your logically fallacy is laughable. 

You are guilty of the burden of proof. Positive claims require positive evidence. You are making a positive claim and have provided no positive evidence for the claim. Therefor, the claim is false until proven otherwise and will be dismissed without evidence. 

@,

Sunset Shimmer tried to slaughter Twilight, Sombra enslaved an entire race while smiling gleefully, the Sirens caused massive amounts of chaos and war, Nightmare Moon tried to impale Twilight, Discord mind fucked the Mane 6 without a care in the world and was about to force choke them, Diamond Tiara is quite possibly the most sadistic little monster ever(nominate for best kid villain), Alicorn Amulet Trixie had a torture spell, the Diamond Dogs kidnapped Rarity, etc.

There is plenty of stuff in Equestria to suggest that while crime may not be so widespread(not confirmed though since you like the comics, Luna does nightly patrols, which implies some level of crime), when something happens, it's big 

• Brohoof 2

Your logically fallacy is laughable. 

You are guilty of the burden of proof. Positive claims require positive evidence. You are making a positive claim and have provided no positive evidence for the claim. Therefor, the claim is false until proven otherwise and will be dismissed without evidence. 

I just stated there was little to no crime in Equestria, which is generally supported by the media itself. If there's a burden of proof here, I don't think it falls on me.

@,

Sunset Shimmer tried to slaughter Twilight, Sombra enslaved an entire race while smiling gleefully, the Sirens caused massive amounts of chaos and war, Nightmare Moon tried to impale Twilight, Discord mind fucked the Mane 6 without a care in the world and was about to force choke them, Diamond Tiara is quite possibly the most sadistic little monster ever(nominate for best kid villain), Alicorn Amulet Trixie had a torture spell, the Diamond Dogs kidnapped Rarity, etc.

There is plenty of stuff in Equestria to suggest that while crime may not be so widespread(not confirmed though since you like the comics, Luna does nightly patrols, which implies some level of crime), when something happens, it's big 

True enough, although those are more "acts of god" than actual crimes. Not so much crime within the populace itself, though, best we get from townsponies is Fluttershy stealing Celestia's pet, and the Flim-Flam brothers(somewhat).

Luna does do nightly patrols, though, which is probably for more than just animals.

@,

My issue is that if Equestria really had so little crime, why have the royal guard and night guard? They're useless against any sort of big threat, so why have them lying around if they do nothing?

And then every unicorn who is significantly talented goes to Celestia's school for gifted unicorns where they can be magically molded in whatever way Celestia wants.

Well, at least that's better than our world where individual talents go mostly unrecognized unless they can be exploited for money or come from money. Their talents are useful for something, whereas our world couldn't be bothered with that.

@,

My issue is that if Equestria really had so little crime, why have the royal guard and night guard? They're useless against any sort of big threat, so why have them lying around if they do nothing?

The only thing that comes to me is to be the princesses eyes and ears, since they can't see the whole kingdom at once. Anybody capable of fighting an alicorn is not going to fall to any amount of guards, and there's never any in the outer towns where crime would be. There's also no threat of war, so there's nothing else that they'd use them for, save assisting Luna on the night watch.

Edited by Shimmer5000

I've been saying this for a while, and I'll say it again. I still want to see DHX tackle the topic of an adult pony without a cutie mark, and them (and everypony else) being totally ok with it, and the lesson of some ponies or people taking a bit longer to discover what they're meant to do in life, or sometimes, never finding it at all, even.

All of my yes. That's exactly one of the things I was getting at. The fact that we haven't yet seen this really implies a lot of pressure on ponies who do not yet have their cutie marks, and sends the message that the only way to be satisfied with your life is if you know your talent and purpose and are either working at it or working towards it. In a world where opportunity is scarce, we should have a character in this position for us to relate to. That's why I made my OC a blank flank -- to fill a potentially interesting and relatable character niche that has not yet been filled in the show and I think really needs to be explored, specifically in a Crusaders episode.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing that comes to me is to be the princesses eyes and ears, since they can't see the whole kingdom at once. Anybody capable of fighting an alicorn is not going to fall to any amount of guards, and there's never any in the outer towns where crime would be. There's also no threat of war, so there's nothing else that they'd use them for, save assisting Luna on the night watch.

I question why spies need to wear golden armor that's blatantly visible to everyone or any armor at all really. When even Changelings can take you out, you know you're crappy. These are the same changelings who can be taken out en masse by untrained civilians. The only one among them who is really a beast is Twilight, the others are just civilians. RD is a beast too, but she wasn't using her speed or sonic rainboom powers

All of my yes. That's exactly one of the things I was getting at. The fact that we haven't yet seen this really implies a lot of pressure on ponies who do not yet have their cutie marks, and sends the message that the only way to be satisfied with your life is if you know your talent and purpose and are either working at it or working towards it. In a world where opportunity is scarce, we should have a character in this position for us to relate to. That's why I made my OC a blank flank -- to fill a potentially interesting and relatable character niche that has not yet been filled in the show and I think really needs to be explored, specifically in a Crusaders episode.

Mr._Greenhooves_ID_S1E15.png

Mr. Greenhooves has no cutie mark in all of the episodes he's in. There you go

Well, at least that's better than our world where individual talents go mostly unrecognized unless they can be exploited for money or come from money. Their talents are useful for something, whereas our world couldn't be bothered with that.

I fail to see how being a brat constitutes as a talent(Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's cutie marks)

Mr._Greenhooves_ID_S1E15.png

Mr. Greenhooves has no cutie mark in all of the episodes he's in. There you go

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I won't accept this as a concession. I don't think anyone does. He's merely a throwaway background character and absolutely no attention is given to this fact anywhere.

I fail to see how being a brat constitutes as a talent(Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's cutie marks)

We don't know for sure what their actual "talents" are. We've never seen them really developed as characters. Well, I hope the writers take notice. Consider that on the Season 5 wish list.

I question why spies need to wear golden armor that's blatantly visible to everyone or any armor at all really. When even Changelings can take you out, you know you're crappy. These are the same changelings who can be taken out en masse by untrained civilians. The only one among them who is really a beast is Twilight, the others are just civilians. RD is a beast too, but she wasn't using her speed or sonic rainboom powers

Well, not really spies, early alarm systems. See trouble, run and find someone that can do something. I guess they could be used to fight, but they have a piss poor track record, and seem to have little training when it comes to fighting(from what we've seen). Right now, even if they were only at Rarity's level of magical prowess, Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns would still put up a better fight.

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 1

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I won't accept this as a concession. I don't think anyone does. He's merely a throwaway background character and absolutely no attention is given to this fact anywhere.

Throwaway background characters are ponies like Lyra who do nothing, not even have a moment of dialog. Mr. Greenhooves is above them in the way that he actually talks with someone important

We don't know for sure what their actual "talents" are. We've never seen them really developed as characters. Well, I hope the writers take notice. Consider that on the Season 5 wish list.

Silver Spoon seems to be based on the whole "born with a silver spoon in their mouth" idiom 

Well, not really spies, early alarm systems. See trouble, run and find someone that can do something. I guess they could be used to fight, but they have a piss poor track record, and seem to have little training when it comes to fighting(from what we've seen). Right now, even if they were only at Rarity's level of magical prowess, Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns would still put up a better fight.

That just makes their attitudes in the royal wedding even weirder. They're stationed like actual guards and have spears and everything. This is expected to work against someone confident enough to make a threat against Canterlot and dangerous enough to warrant a giant ass shield. 

The eyes and ears thing does make more sense though, we see this in Twilight's Kingdom